Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas Wanted for Single Table Home Game Satellite for the Irish Open 2009

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

The buy-in for next year's Irish Open has been reduced to €3,500 from last year. It's still out of my price range but would love to play it as would a few of the lads I grew up with and play poker regularly with in the Fitz.

Bascially I'm trying to organise a way for one of us at least to play in it next year. I'm going to try and play regardless by putting a certain % of my BR in toward it and a % of any winnings I have in the 125 or EOM game in the Fitz that I play. But . . .

I'm also thinking of organising a 10 man sit-and-go with a €350 buy-in - deepstack home game - the winner gets his buy-in for the Irish Open next year. Also the idea has been thrown out there that the other nine players will take a % of the winner in the Open next year - maybe 3.5% per person (for total of roughly 30% gone) so we all have a horse in the race.

If anyone has any (decent) ideas or suggestions as to how this would work better or if you've done it before please let us know

Nice one

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There was a larger scale version of this 2 years ago, when about 40 of us played a tourney for it. Gholi won it and all other players has a small % in him. I'm sure some kind soul will be more bothered than me to search for it, but if you search for Irish Open syndicate you might find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

If you all play live regularly you could put 350 in each and run a league taking your top 10 live results for 3 months leading up to the IO and the winner of that goes forward. It's a more balanced approach as a total loser (eg: gholi) might get lucky in just one SnG. Winner keeps 50% and gets to play (or nominate someone else to play) and then percentages are broken down as to how well each player performed in the league. Obv you cannot do deals in any of the tournaments you play that count towards the TLB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

play a €100 FO every week for 10 weeks, prizepool being 65+35, then the winner of the league gets to play.

Reduces variance and gives people an incentive to play every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Dom, thanks for the syndicate idea,

GL2M, good idea mate,

Ye, we sorted it out in the end. There are eight of us in on it. We are going to play 11 single table sit and go's - €110 in, €70 going toward that night's tournament and €40 going toward the Irish Open prize pool. Play one every 2 weeks between now and April.

Prizepool will be €250, €180, €130 for each tournament.
    For each tourney there will be €40 x €8 = €320 into the prizepool for the Open by 11 of them = €3,520.

For each tournament there will be points allocated for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Whoever has the most points at the end of the 11 sit-and-go's will get his buy-in paid into the Irish Open 2009 and the other 7 involved will get 5% of him in the Open - he keeps 65%.

Hopefully it will go well, I run good and win a few hundred grand in the Open next year. :D

Thanks for the ideas anyway. What do you reckon about the points allocations ? Top heavy for first or spread out a bit among second and third to reduce variance?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Spread out a bit I reckon with number of top 3 finishes being the first tiebreaker, then followed by most wins, most seconds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Give points to all players, you dont want people with 0 points after 6 or 7 weeks suddenly saying they cant make it to the next tourney etc. Alternatively have different % for each of the finishers to leave everyone something to play for eg

2 9%
    3 7%
    4 5%
    5 4%
    6 4%
    7 3%
    8 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

bohsman wrote: »
    Give points to all players, you dont want people with 0 points after 6 or 7 weeks suddenly saying they cant make it to the next tourney etc. Alternatively have different % for each of the finishers to leave everyone something to play for eg

2 9%
    3 7%
    4 5%
    5 4%
    6 4%
    7 3%
    8 3%

Good idea - that was the only problem we could see coming up would be that people who weren't in with a shot would stop playing when they knew they had no chance of winning it. One way is to say that you get no % age if you don't play til the end but I think the staggered percentages is a better way to go.

Points for everyone might work too . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭TheBlackThing

Maybe instead of the person with the most points winning the ticket you could have a Grand Final at the end of the league. Each point that a player has is converted to chips that he starts the grand final with, and also bonus chips awarded for your final league position.

Eg: Each point is worth 100 chips

Bonus for final league position 1st 5000, 2nd 4000, 3rd 3000, 4th 2500, 5th 2000 etc etc

Player A 100 points = 10000 + 5000 bonus Total chips 15,000

Player B 90 points = 9000 + 4000 bonus Total chips 13,000

Player C 80 points = 8000 + 3000 bonus Total chips 11,000

That way everybody still has a chance on the final night and might ensure that all players play each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Maybe instead of the person with the most points winning the ticket you could have a Grand Final at the end of the league. Each point that a player has is converted to chips that he starts the grand final with, and also bonus chips awarded for your final league position.

Bonus for final league position 1st 5000, 2nd 4000, 3rd 3000, 4th 2500, 5th 2000 etc etc

That way everybody still has a chance on the final night and might ensure that all players play each week.

great idea...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

it doesn't really reward consistency though, and increases the variance.

Advertisement