Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czech Wolfdog

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sypher

EGAR wrote: »
    Ok, I broke my promise by posting again :D BUT I thought you said you've done your research? The above quote clearly shows you haven't. This is a relatively new breed which is only about 50 years old since the first 50/50 litter was born. Since then more wolves have been crossed in, they are also line bred to keep the phenotype which means there is ALOT of inbreeding. This also means your above quote is incorrect as in its genotype the CWD remains a Wolfhybrid.

Not every Border Collie herds sheep, not every Pit Bull fights other dogs, not every Greyhound enjoys racing.

To import a pup, then subject to quarantine which is basically solidary confinement during the pups most forming time of life is a sure way of getting a messed up dog.

Not very well thought through and very egotistical in my opinion, after all it's supposed to be about the animal, not your gratification.

Egar, both of your question have been previously answered by me.
    As for the DOG word, i said i might have misused it, read 3 replies before.

As for the pup, i said i would be buying it at 8 months age so it could AVOID the quarantine (ie, NOT do it), otherwise, i would drop my idea of buying a dog.

Also, about the breed ... i totally agree with you, but as you say "not every XXXX enjoys XXX", but i think we can safely say that some breeds are better at some activities than others? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I got called away from the PC whilst I was typing my post to tend to some of my dogs, hence the delay in posting and hence the three or so posts in the time between ;).

The Czech Wolfdog is banned in quite alot of countries as it falls under *wildlife*. Extensive genetic research has been done on this subject. So I think you are way off the mark.

EGAR wrote: »
    I got called away from the PC whilst I was typing my post to tend to some of my dogs, hence the delay in posting and hence the three or so posts in the time between ;).

The Czech Wolfdog is banned in quite alot of countries as it falls under *wildlife*. Extensive genetic research has been done on this subject. So I think you are way off the mark.

Hi,

please specify, it will make an interesting reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's all fair enough - I'll just make one request.

Before you take on such a big dog, will you consider doing a few things first?

I would say you need some handling experience first and foremost - of all dogs, not just a big dog. Go to your local shelter, explain you want to own your first dog, and ask if you could help out to get some experience before you commit to one animal.

Take a few big dogs for a walk. Get some experience of what it's like when they pull the lead so hard you nearly leave the pavement. Have one of those "oh no" moments when you meet another dog where:
    • The owner has a small dog and looks at you like your dog is going to eat theirs.
    • The owner has a small dog and glares at you for not controlling your dog when their dog launches itself at your dog's throat like a heat-seeking missile.
    • The owner of the other dog takes offense at your large breed and tells you it should be wearing a muzzle.
    • The owner of the other dog screams at you because YOUR dog decides it wants the other dog for breakfast.
    • The owner is walking a large dog and the two of you bundle your animals to either side of the pavement while nodding sheepishly at each other until you've passed by.
    • The owner is walking a large dog that they know they can't control and you see the whites of their eyes a second before their dog spots yours and pulls them off their feet.

There are a few other things you might consider too - offer yourself up as a foster home for a dog. Any dog. Get yourself into a position where you get to take a dog to some training classes - because those classes train you, not just the dog.

Seriously, there's loving and wanting a dog, and then there are other things. There's that charming sensation when you, the responsible dog owner, pick up a freshly laid turd in your plastic baggy so you can wrap it and bin it. There's washing your dog after he's rolled in cowpats. Choosing a food that suits his frame, his health requirements, his exercise level and your own budget. Changing his water bowl every day. (Ever picked up a glass of 24-hour-old tapwater beside your own bed?)

Let's put it this way - you want a dog, and you'll probably be a great owner, but you can't afford to make your first mistakes with this particular breed. You need to be the best pet owner you can be, so get some experience and THEN look at getting this dog.

You're right - a huge number of people DO get a dog that they keep in the back garden, never walk, and feed and water once a day and it's on its own mostly. But this forum is full of people who care about the best possible standard of care, the best possible life for the pet, the best possible methods and products and training and approach - and that's why this thread isn't just full of replies saying "Dial 1800 CZECHWD". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I consider the czechoslovakian wolfdog my dream dog too, I can't see myself getting one for a few years yet, have three terrier mongrols at home can't see them being compatible with it.

• Advertisement

Minesajackdaniels,
    your post made me kinda lol and think.
    Yeah, great suggestions, i'll surely follow those, altough with some modifications.

Cant really go to a shelter since i'm already having a job, but for the time that i'll still be here, i'll ask my friend to "lend" me and take out his german shepherd with him and let me handle and study ... Fair enough ?

With "in-house" chores, im pretty used to it. At least, for the "repetition" part of it. I've got a cat that, altough much more independent than a dog, it still requires daily attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

That sounds like a great combination, cat versus serious hunting dog with wolf blood.

Seriously, reading about things in theory, you think you know everything and will have no problem handling the dog, but in reality, when you actually have the dog, and it's ALL your responsibility to make sure it is trained, socialized properly and you don't end up with a dangerous animal on your hands, it's A LOT different.

Why don't you start off with an ordinary large dog and then when you are 100% sure how to handle him, then get the Czech wolf dog?

even walking your friends GSD, while good experience for handling a large dog, you still won't have to be responsible for his training/behaviour.

I just don't see why you won't just go for an "easy" dog rather than taking on a dominant breed as a first dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I just don't see why you won't just go for an "easy" dog rather than taking on a dominant breed as a first dog.

I would actually say I don't think there's any such thing as an 'easy' dog.

Every single dog will benefit from having an experienced owner who knows proper handling and the best care for their dog. The main difference between small breeds and large breeds is that a badly behaved small breed dog won't do as much damage as a badly behaved large breed dog.

It's the reverse of the same coin - on one side, for instance, bull breed owners defend their dogs to the death, saying they're not all bad. Mostly those bull breed owners have a lot of dog experience and handle their dogs properly. The reverse side is that we shouldn't be recommending something like a labrador, say, to someone with no dog experience, as an 'easy' dog.

In the case of sypher's obsession with one potentially unsuitable breed, I'll say this: I know plenty of people who have owned plenty of dogs, but that doesn't make them prepared for a big, dominant dog - no more prepared than Sypher is.

I've recommended that Sypher gets some experience because only then will he be able to judge how able - or not - he would be for that kind of dog. Until he gets some hands on experience, he just will not know. Walking his friend's GSD is a start. Especially if he walks it near parks full of children, or somewhere that lots of other people walk their dogs, or near livestock in the countryside, or down a main street in a city. Not only will he get the experience of what that's like, but he'll also get the experience of how people react to you when you have a large dog on a leash. The experience of walking a CWD would be far more negative than when walking a GSD, but it'll still be a start for him to see what it is going to be like.

Yes, so wanting a CWD or a similar large breed, dominant dog as a first pet is like a pedestrian eyeing up a 1400cc motorcycle as a first bike. Test drive other people's pets first, then make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I would actually say I don't think there's any such thing as an 'easy' dog.

Every single dog will benefit from having an experienced owner who knows proper handling and the best care for their dog. The main difference between small breeds and large breeds is that a badly behaved small breed dog won't do as much damage as a badly behaved large breed dog.

It's the reverse of the same coin - on one side, for instance, bull breed owners defend their dogs to the death, saying they're not all bad. Mostly those bull breed owners have a lot of dog experience and handle their dogs properly. The reverse side is that we shouldn't be recommending something like a labrador, say, to someone with no dog experience, as an 'easy' dog.

yes, not the best word I know, but I think you know what I mean, as in a dog that has an easy going nature anyway rather than a dominant breed that would be more suited to an experienced dog owner.

I wouldn't recommend any breed really as any dog can be nice or vicious, depends on it's upbringing, obviously they have some traits such as some breeds being more dominant or prone to fighting with other dogs etc. and which need extra careful training, hence why I think a czech wolfdog would be unsuitable for a beginner.

I'd rather reccomend going and picking out an individual dog that would be easier to train and handle for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

OP, if you get the dog stick up some pics, let us know how you get on... Tell us what the dog is like to own... Lots of people would be interested.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

Will keep you posted

Advertisement