Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help : Exchange Irish License for UK License

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm moving to England in a few weeks and want to get the UK license with the card rather than having the big Irish license.
    How easy is it done?
    Where do I get the form, can it be downloaded?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'd hang onto my Irish licence if I were you. They've a massive speed camera network over there and it 3 points a go. At the moment they can't apply points to your licence...

Just a thought ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Costs £50, can take a wee while but you can still drive in the meantime. I have to say I'd be inclined to agree with Eringobragh though.

See here
    > http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you want to keep yourself and potential cops happy get yourself an International Drivers Permit.

AA very helpful info

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/drivingpermit/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The International Driver Permit isn't worth the paper its written on. An Irish licence is as valid as a Uk licence as long as its within the EU!
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

If you want to keep yourself and potential cops happy get yourself an International Drivers Permit.

AA very helpful info

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/drivingpermit/
    What do you do if you do not have bills in your name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

U can exchange ur license. But if i was u id exchange it, then next time ur home say it was lost and get a new one. So u will have both.

its handy for them points.

bikki wrote: »
    U can exchange ur license. But if i was u id exchange it, then next time ur home say it was lost and get a new one. So u will have both.

its handy for them points.

Someone posted on here you can't have 2 valid EU licence's at the one time, correct me if im wrong!

I have two Irish Licenses. I have a full B license and a provisional C License.

When I pass my C license they will both become 1 full C License incorporating both B & C.

Still have two paper versions though.

I have two Irish Licenses. I have a full B license and a provisional C License.

When I pass my C license they will both become 1 full C License incorporating both B & C.

Still have two paper versions though.

Its not a licence (Your 'provisional' C) ,you have a learner permit regardless whats wrote on the cover of it.

Its not a licence (Your 'provisional' C) ,you have a learner permit regardless whats wrote on the cover of it.

This license has been valid prior to the learner permit scheme.

Its kind of all besides the point anyway. I dont have a truck so cant really make much use of it.

Provisional C License drivers, Provisional D License drivers & Provisional E License drivers CAN drive on their own without supervision because we have passed a test(B test) proving we understand the rules of the road.

You must have seen it, the big Green L on the front of trucks. Round metal sign with white border. It allows drivers to travel across the EU without supervision.

• Advertisement

You must have seen it, the big Green L on the front of trucks. Round metal sign with white border. It allows drivers to travel across the EU without supervision.

Hmm, Would you believe I've never actually seen one:pac:

I presume the rule applies to More than one EU licence in the same category ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

callumk wrote: »
    I'm moving to England in a few weeks and want to get the UK license with the card rather than having the big Irish license.
    How easy is it done?
    Where do I get the form, can it be downloaded?

Thanks.

Why? As other poster have indicated, it's much better form a points view. Also in case the uk police stop you, remind them that under EU law you can hold onto the licence for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Why? As other poster have indicated, it's much better form a points view. Also in case the uk police stop you, remind them that under EU law you can hold onto the licence for life.
    Well, actually until it expires ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

This license has been valid prior to the learner permit scheme.

Its kind of all besides the point anyway. I dont have a truck so cant really make much use of it.

Provisional C License drivers, Provisional D License drivers & Provisional E License drivers CAN drive on their own without supervision because we have passed a test(B test) proving we understand the rules of the road.

that L means that the truck is fitted with a hush kit on the brakes, its a legal requirement in some countries and ya cant drive on ur own with a provisional or learner permit in a truck, i drive an 8x4 rigid that is between 40 and 43 foot long and to let somone with a prov in it on there own would be mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭callumk

So......does anyone know what I need to do to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

callumk wrote: »
    So......does anyone know what I need to do to get one?
    You've already been given one link, what more do you want?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

Alun wrote: »

Hold his hand :D

Advertisement