Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court/Garda Records

Options
  • 25-10-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    was wondering could someone help me with a question. I was caught speeding and received a notice in the door with a fine. I went overseas travelling soon after and totally forgot about this fine. I got a phone call then telling me that i had an apperance in court, a summons was handed to my mother. A solictor represented me as I wasn't around. I got 4 points, an extra 2 for not paying up and also got a 200 euro fine. I know the Department of Transport stores penalty points records on their systems and the garda pulse system doesn't. I'm starting a new job driving and the company its with asked have I clean license with no penalty points which I informed them I do. I'm giving them my license so they can check it out and make sure its clean. When they give my license number to the guards will this information about me being in court and receiving 4 points come up and be given back to the company? I have no endorsements or anything but I'm really worried about this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

For a start, your conviction is in the local District Court records, and as you should notify your insurance company of any RTA convictions, it may be on their records.

If your driving is being covered by the employer's policy, your employer may have unknowingly sent them falso information when adding you to the policy.

If you have an RTA accident while driving for your employer, and if you are convicted, Gardai will inform the court of previous convictions. The insurance company on being informed of a previous undisclosed conviction may void cover.

Therefore the old adage applies - when in doubt tell the truth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive...

In theory they can't check but this being Ireland if your prospective employer's best mate is a Guard then who knows......

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I know i should have told the truth but its a good job and I said I'd chance my arm. When they give my license number to the guards will this information about me being in court and receiving 4 points come up and be given back to the company? Or what way does the garda records work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I think convictions are recorded on PULSE . Gardai produce printouts of previous convictions to the court on securing a conviction. Dont know whether points are recorded.

Because of the possible insurance convictions it would be better to tell the employeer the true position now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

nuac wrote: »
    I think convictions are recorded on PULSE . Gardai produce printouts of previous convictions to the court on securing a conviction. Dont know whether points are recorded.

Because of the possible insurance convictions it would be better to tell the employeer the true position now.

Points themselves are not however paid FCPNs are recorded. Unpaid go to summons....so all you have to do is check summons and then you can see convictions. This was you can work out penalty points. If someone is disqualified from driving due to points, the TRaffic Bureau is notified by the RSA and a warning is put on that person.

In relation to you O/P, if you want to check your points contact your licensing authority or contact the RSA direct. Nether will give info out over the phone but will post them out. RSA are usually faster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement