Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico - Connection Problems

Options
  • 25-10-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a Perlico wireless router and all of a sudden i have encountered problems with it. After turning it on the DSL light flashes quickly and after a few seconds remains constant. However a few seconds later it will turn off again and I will not be ble to open a web page successfully.

Could anyone offer advice on what the problem might be.
    At this stage i have reset the modem and also disconnected everything form the phone line for 30 mins, as advised on Perlico FAQs section and then reconnected the router first after this period, but again to no avail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I had the same problems for months with perlico, got a new modem from them but still had trouble, they blamed everything from my phonline to my phone, to interferance from unknown source ?? I dumped them and switched to eircom... problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

at the end of the day, you are getting Eircom ADSL through a reseller who buys wholesale from Eircom.

Ok, you get cheaper rates from Perlico or whoever BUT if you got a problem, it will take longer to resolve.

Cut out the middle man and revert back to Eircom as 2qk4u did

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

dsl should always be on constant. have u got filters on your phone line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I have that Zyxtel perlico modem too. It works fine when I use it for wired connections but if i try to use a wifi connection the modem restarts. I wonder is there a software problem with them. Has anyone else had problems with their modem restarting alot?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is important to try and establish where the problem actually is. First make sure that it is not the basic connection between the router/modem and perlico.

Disconnections can often be caused by poor lines or in many cases by the recent speed upgrades putting pressure on poor lines. Check your line stats to see what quality your line is.

Also try a different wireless channel and see if that improves things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

You could try removing all phones, fax michaine, etc, so you just have the adsl router connected. make sure that you are not using a phone line extention cable os line splitters. This will eliminate any problems with your internal phone wiring. If it works at this stage, add back each device until the line goes down again. this device may be causing the fault or there may be too many devices on the line.
    Also make sure each device is using a filter.
    KK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks, :) I'll try using a different WiFi channel this eve. Thats one thing that i was confused about because my old Netopia modem didnt have the option to select different WiFi channels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did u manage to get this sorted? Same issue myself

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What router are you using? Is it the zyxel?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

Hi,

I had the problem with the router restarting (every 15-20 mins) after a bit of googlin git looks like that router can crash if there is another wifi network on teh same frequency in close proximity. I can pick up about 5 wifi connections in my area. So I changed the wifi channel to a different channel in the router config and its been fine since

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Daemonica

Hi there. I think some of this might help with your Zyxel router. There is one main reason why these routers drop or loose the wifi/ dsl connection. The firmware, i.e. the actual operating system installed on the router is very badly written. Most people when switching from Eircom to Perlico tend to keep the old eircom modem instead, since it will work fine for Perlico's service. That router is much better than the one provided by the ISP. Basically, any time anything stops working on a Zyxel prestige series router, you gotta reset that baby. Push a pen into the reset button at the back, keep it in there for about 30 secinds until you see the power light flashing. This means it is resetting properly. Then leave go of that button and wait for about 5-6 minutes for the modem to find the external line signal (dsl). It's advertised that it takes 1-2 minutes for this, but it really takes a while for this router. After this, make sure your wifi is reconnected by clicking on the start button and selecting "Connect to" on the right hand side start menu. You'll see a wifi network called Perlico wifi there. Double click to reconnect. If you are using a LAN or yellow cable connection, skip the wifi steps above.

Then open up Internet Explorer, not firefox, not opera or anything else. For some reason these browsers seems to skip that splash page, again a byproduct of bug-ridden coding. A "DSL Connection Successful" page will appear on the screen, asking for your username, password and router configuration password. The latter will always be "1234". For the other information you can get by contacting them.

I hope that helps everyone experiencing issues with this modem. I've tested the modem myself and a reset fixes 9 out of 10 problems.

As for the modem not retaining information, i doubt there is a fix for that unless you update the firmware for the modem from Zyxel's support site.

If these steps above fail, remove all devices attached to all phone points and plug the Zyxel router directly into the phone jack itself. Don't bother using any splitters, all you want is proof that the dsl signal is trying to sync. Fax machines, sky plus or any monitored alarm system seriously interferes with these connections and has been known to stop wifi from broadcasting. Make sure all of these devices are unplugged. This way, we can see whether the splitters are the issue.

If the DSL light still flashes and you want positive information that it isnt the modem at fault, but the line, then do the following:

ATM Loopback test.

Plug the modem into your PC via the yellow ethernet cable. Open up Internet explorer. At the top of the screen, you will see the address bar, or location bar, typically consisting of a web address like http://www.google.com/ in there already. Delete that text so the field is now blank. If you are unsure of where the address bar is, press the F6 button on the keyboard and this will highlight the text in that bar, making it clearly visible and dark blue.
    When the field is empty, type 192.168.1.1 and press enter on the keyboard or click the "Go" button to the right of the address bar. You will be logged into a page asking for a password. Remove the dots already in that field and type 1234 then click login.
    The second page asks for a new passwrod and to confirm it. Just click the "Ignore" button here as we don't want to change anything.
    After this, a third screen will appear with 2 option, Wizard setup and Advanced setup. Select the advanced setup and press apply.

Finally! We are into the modem's config page.
    On the left hand side menu, select "Maintainance".
    Then select "Diagnostics".
    On this page you will see an option for DSL line, select that option, then click on ATM loopback test.

The modem will take a little bit to perform this test.
    You will get one of 3 results.

A fail on ATM Loopback means the problem is with the line itself.
    A fail on PPPoE means the username and password are no longer functioning.
    A pass on both of these likely means that the router is faulty.

With this information, you should know exactly whats wrong with the connection and hopefully sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JellyBeana

Daemonica and Connie,

Thank you both, just saved me hours of anguish :)

Advertisement