Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NY Times endorses Obama

Options
  • 25-10-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Several large US newspapers have already endorsed Obama for president, and yesterday the NY times put itself behind him.

Stating that
    Mr. Obama has met challenge after challenge, growing as a leader and putting real flesh on his early promises of hope and change. He has shown a cool head and sound judgment. We believe he has the will and the ability to forge the broad political consensus that is essential to finding solutions to this nation’s problems.
    the editors say that he is the best choice for America to undo some of the wrongs committed by the Bush administration. full story
    Do people feel the paper of record's endorsement will make much difference? it seems to me that although there hasn't really been one single overriding endorsement or act in favour of Obama, there have been several small but significant ones that are mounting up to make him seem like the president everyone wanted all along.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

This is not a surprise - they've been leaning towards him for ages. i don't think it will make much of a difference.

i was more impressed by The Washington Post's endorsement

I wonder if Fox will endorse him?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I wonder if Fox will endorse him?? ;)

Actually Papa Bear had nice things to say about him after his interview. Which was quite a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hobbes wrote: »
    Actually Papa Bear had nice things to say about him after his interview. Which was quite a surprise.

When was that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

True, but that interview was a while ago and now he's hammering Obama again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Papa Bear has gone into anti-Obama overdrive this past week on the Factor. I think he fears the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Papa Bear has gone into anti-Obama overdrive this past week on the Factor. I think he fears the worst

Link? would be interesting to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,264 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I still don't know that I like the idea of Professional Journalists endorsing candidates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the new york times endorsing a democrat?

dear jesus, when will the madness end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CtrlSource wrote: »
    True, but that interview was a while ago and now he's hammering Obama again!
    He has to hammer Obama whether he fully believes in it or not or he will lose his target market. I think O'reilly was well impressed by Obama.

Mordeth wrote: »

Its not the political leanings of the paper that's of interest, its the readership, respect given to the name and influence of the organisation that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Mordeth wrote: »

Amazing, isn't it? And to think they have been secretly doing this ever since 1960 ;)!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/10/23/opinion/20081024-endorse.html

They haven't always been successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The only way McCain can gain ground now is if he declares himself a Democrat in the wrong party.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune endorsed Obama last Friday.
    Source: http://news.aol.com/elections/article/unlikely-newspapers-endorse-obama/216504

"Newspaper market statistics put Obama's endorsement tally at 55 and McCain's at 16 as of Saturday."
    Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-10/19/content_10217543.htm

Newspaper endorsements are running in favour of Obama, just like the polls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Overheal wrote: »
    I still don't know that I like the idea of Professional Journalists endorsing candidates.

I don’t think it should be allowed. It would seem to me to be an abuse of the power of the media. As they are unofficially declaring themselves part of the campaigns, one wonders if they are getting directly paid for it, or why they actually do it. Is the ongoing biased journalism not enough?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I've spoken against it on multiple times in the past. Media are supposed to report the news, not pass judgement on it. It's to the level that newspapers like the SF Chronicle have pull-out sections which you take with you to the voting booth, and it tells you which way the paper thinks you should vote on every race, measure and proposition. But nobody in charge listens to me, I'm afraid.

They probably file it under 'free speech', I guess. After all, I'm under no obligation to follow their endorsement.
    Newspaper endorsements are running in favour of Obama, just like the polls?

Interesting proposition. After all, they're trying to make money.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Interesting proposition. After all, they're trying to make money.
    An ABC producer once told me that to understand the media, you must realise that it's a business and must make a profit, just like any other business, or it goes out of business; e.g., advertising monies.

In another way, the same can be said of politicians? If they don't do what the donors want, especially the really big contributors, then they will not get donations from them in the future?

For example: "Oil and gas industry executives and employees donated $1.1 million to McCain last month..." Now if McCain changed his mind and became opposed to "Drill baby drill," then it would not be likely that he would receive similar oil interest monies in the future?

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601891.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I see FT are supporting Obama as well. That is normally a very conservative site.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1d0b127c-a380-11dd-942c-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1

Although they do a good write up as to why.

"ALASKA'S top newspaper today endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for the White House, saying it would be too risky to put their Republican state governor Sarah Palin just one 72-year-old heartbeat from the leadership of the free world.

The Anchorage Daily News, the leading daily in the overwhelmingly Republican state..."

Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24556887-401,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"ALASKA'S top newspaper today endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for the White House, saying it would be too risky to put their Republican state governor Sarah Palin just one 72-year-old heartbeat from the leadership of the free world.

The Anchorage Daily News, the leading daily in the overwhelmingly Republican state..."

That sounds similar to what Matt Damon said recent in an interview.
    (Before anyone says he's just an actor, he went to Harvard for his third level education)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NTlOY97vo

Source: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24556887-401,00.html

The Anchorage Daily news has been critical of Palin in the past (on the rape kits, but then just about everyone was) I don't know how "liberal" the paper might be but it is a big blow to not have the native press' support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement