Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car to start out with?

Options
  • 25-10-2008 7:22pm

(This is my first time posting here, if this is being posted in the wrong place mods can feel free to move it).

I'm gonna learn to start driving soon. Up to this point in my life I've had 0% interest in driving or cars in general. I don't care or know anything about them.

So, if anyone's bored, my questions are:

As someone who is just starting out:

1) How much would you recommend spending on a first car?

2) What are things to look out for when buying such a car?

3) If a train leaves Chicago, Illinois at 10:10am,traveling at 75mph going east and another train leaves London, England at 2:05pm traveling at 45kph going west, how far will each train travel and at what time will the two trains meet?

4) Any other general advice you guys could offer who have been here before?

Thanks to anyone who may be of help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its not a good start saying you dont care about cars. :eek:

You wont find the right care unless you show an interest in cars in general. You will soon bitten by the bug once you get one though. You will get your first entry level car and see one driving past with nicer wheels, bigger engine and better looking girlfriend/boyfriend and you will get itchy feet for your next car. :D

You will never be satisfied with just having a run around and if you are going to be happy with any old tat then buy something reliable.

How much do YOU want to spend on a first car. You can always buy and old reliable car or you could be unlucky and pay lots of money and find the more expensive one is less reliable.

Give us a guestimate of what your budget could be and we can go from there.

€5-6k will get you something reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Something with an nct of at least 6 months is a must.

Diesels are also easier to drive when starting out imo, they are very hard to stall, are cheaper to run and have good sell on value.

Something like this Peugeot would do fine.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1238900

Its not a good start saying you dont care about cars.

Well, no point in lying to you all. If i had a great interest in cars, I wouldn't really need the help, you know. :)
    You wont find the right care unless you show an interest in cars in general. You will soon bitten by the bug once you get one though. You will get your first entry level car and see one driving past with nicer wheels, bigger engine and better looking girlfriend/boyfriend and you will get itchy feet for your next car.

I don't really think i'd attribute a better looking girlfriend to a better car :pac: you make it sound like a better car means a better life overall. I probably will care a lot more once i get my first one, but right now i just don't care that much in general.

Give us a guestimate of what your budget could be and we can go from there.

€5-6k will get you something reliable.

Well i really don't plan on spending 5-6k thats for sure!

I'd like to keep to 3k as a maximum.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Something with an nct of at least 6 months is a must.

Yeah, thats what my brother was saying, too.

Diesels are also easier to drive when starting out imo, they are very hard to stall, are cheaper to run and have good sell on value.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't it be more expensive to get a Kevin Nash Diesel? Isn't the price of Diesel more expensive?

Thats not too bad to be honest. Looks like a decent starter car anyway.

I appreciate both of your help thus far. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Before you go and buy a car, go and find out if driving is for you (get a few...and by a few I mean at least 5...driving lessons).

If that works out, buy a car...a proper sized one....that you can hold onto and get a few bumps and scrapes on that will keep you out of trouble.

Then add more driving lessons and pass your test...

??
    OT..have you done your theory test yet?

Come back to us when you've completed stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

brother just got his first car,
    only a couple of grand.
    Daewoo Lanos i think it was
    something like http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/Daewoo/Lanos/200840190245854/advert

its a nice little car to drive. he hasnt has any problem with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know someone who bought the Citroen version of that Peugeot - the Saxo.

Covered 150,000 miles with zero problems, and averageing 65-70mpg.

And, not being a 'current' car, is much cheaper to service, repair than any newer stuff - it has an 'old fashined' -aka, simple ! - engine. This, I think is the key to their longevity.

'frick me, I might buy that Pug meself !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Well, no point in lying to you all. If i had a great interest in cars, I wouldn't really need the help, you know. :)

Well i really don't plan on spending 5-6k thats for sure!

I'd like to keep to 3k as a maximum.

Yeah, thats what my brother was saying, too.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't it be more expensive to get a Kevin Nash Diesel? Isn't the price of Diesel more expensive?

Thats not too bad to be honest. Looks like a decent starter car anyway.

I appreciate both of your help thus far. Thanks :)

Price of diesel and petrol are the same now, a diesel car will probably cost more and if your not driving much it might not be worth it.

The peugeot I linked you too is a fine motor, its dog slow but they are quite reliable from my experience.Getting a car is a personal thing and what I like, you probably wont.The general rule followed by most starting out is to go for a japanese/german motor, then when you start to love your driving you can go for something more fun with less reliability like an Alfa Romeo etc.

I would spend as little as possibile myself , something like a nissan/mazda/mitsubishi are almost bullet proof and can be had for nothing.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1217207

You should get a few lessons, as loads of people ( including myself ) take the easy way out and just start driving from the get go and then when it comes to the test we have picked up some seriously bad habits/dont have a clue how to drive.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Price of diesel and petrol are the same now, a diesel car will probably cost more and if your not driving much it might not be worth it.

The peugeot I linked you too is a fine motor, its dog slow but they are quite reliable from my experience.Getting a car is a personal thing and what I like, you probably wont.The general rule followed by most starting out is to go for a japanese/german motor, then when you start to love your driving you can go for something more fun with less reliability like an Alfa Romeo etc.

I would spend as little as possibile myself , something like a nissan/mazda/mitsubishi are almost bullet proof and can be had for nothing.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1217207

You should get a few lessons, as loads of people ( including myself ) take the easy way out and just start driving from the get go and then when it comes to the test we have picked up some seriously bad habits/dont have a clue how to drive.

Yeah, I haven't really started doing anything yet, driving wise. Still don't know a steering wheel from a windshield, but I know i really have no choice other than to learn now, seen as it will only get harder and more expensive as time goes on. I really shoulda done it a few years ago, but hindsights a great thing.

That car you linked to is actually pretty good. I like it. Especially for less than a grand!

I'll apply for the theory test (whats the theory test called these days? I think they changed the name of it?) and start driving lessons before christmas.

Right now, and i know this will be tough, but right now my aim is to be (legally) able to drive an articulated lorry by January 2010.

I really just waste my life away, so at least i'll have something to focus on and if i am able to do it, it can be of use to me.

But anyway, back on topic, thanks for the link to the car and the post as a whole. :)

Advertisement