Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased sppeed limit on Ballincollig Bypass

Options
  • 25-10-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that it has been increased to 120kph?

Does this mean it will be given Motorway status to keep the bikes/tractors etc. off it?

It's a long time coming but people still seem to be travelling at the same speed i.e. 100kph on the outside lane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

About freaking time - it was supposed to happen in Sept 2007! They've changed the law so a road doesn't have to be given motorway status in order to have a 120k speed limit. The East Cork Parkway is supposed to be getting this limit (as far as Carrigtwohill) too.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    It's a long time coming but people still seem to be travelling at the same speed i.e. 100kph on the outside lane

Drives me ****ing mad :mad:. I was going over the flyover in the middle lane in the direction of the tunnel last week, specifically so that I wouldn't clash with traffic coming up from the Kinsale Road roundabout, when some bitch coming from the roundabout cuts me off so she can get to the outside lane. There's no other cars around, I'm travelling faster than her and she can't ****ing wait to get to the outside lane of four ****ing lanes that stay at four lanes for at least another kilometre :mad:. Some people must get their license off the back of a cornflakes packet.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had a guy in a Volvo in the outside lane of the Dunkettle dual carriageway dong 50 the other day, presumably because of the lorry half a mile up the road. I flashed him and flashed him again, then hooted, but he wouldn't pull over, so as soon as we were past the lorry I moved into the inside lane and continued at my usual pace, which is perfectly legal.

He sped up and turned it into a race. What a retard.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not perfectly legal im afraid..only in your opinion....pepole who hog the outside or middle lanes are a pain, but overtaking on the inside isnt allowed *EXCEPT in cases of slow moving traffic...and people who go over that damn flyover in the middle lane when the uinside lane is empty are the bane of my life.......HOWEVER....you must chill out and take life as it comes, otherwise the people who cant drive properley win

* i regularly do it though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

corktina wrote: »
    not perfectly legal im afraid..only in your opinion....pepole who hog the outside or middle lanes are a pain, but overtaking on the inside isnt allowed *EXCEPT in cases of slow moving traffic...and people who go over that damn flyover in the middle lane when the uinside lane is empty are the bane of my life.......HOWEVER....you must chill out and take life as it comes, otherwise the people who cant drive properley win

* i regularly do it though:D

IMO, if a motorist has to undertake a slow car in the overtaking lane and is seen by the gardai, then the person driving the slow vehicle should not only have to incur a fine and penalty points for careless driving, but should also have to bear the sanctions imposed on the motorist (who ends up undertaking) as such action is not generally unreasonable given the circumstances. Basically, the motorist who was undertaking would have to bear enough punishment in the loss of time as a result of the subsequent paperwork etc, so why should he/she have to face further punishment?

Regards!

corktina wrote: »
    overtaking on the inside isnt allowed *EXCEPT in cases of slow moving traffic
    People in the outside lane going under the speed limit are slower moving traffic. It's not my opinion, it's a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This is absolutely idiotic without motorway restrictions. Having cyclists, tractors and people walking dogs mixed with 120kmh traffic is bone headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

People in the outside lane going under the speed limit are slower moving traffic. It's not my opinion, it's a fact.

undertaking is only allowed during traffic jams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Undertaking is only permitted when the traffic in the right hand lane is moving slower.... Direct from the rules of the road book.

No mention of how slow they must be moving so therefore undertaking cannot be made illegal, it may not be a wise move because if there is an idiot in the outside lane blocking it then they are most likely to try to move in to lock you getting past anyway.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I despise people who flash their lights when behind someone in the overtaking lane, too many people think that if you are not going at or above the speed limit when overtaking another car then you're going too slow for them. muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I despise people who flash their lights when behind someone in the overtaking lane, too many people think that if you are not going at or above the speed limit when overtaking another car then you're going too slow for them. muppets!

Seems you are the exact type of driver we are talking about, sits in the outside lane 1.5km/h faster than the traffic inside them and thinks nothing of it.

MC

• Advertisement

For the record, I wouldn't flash someone in the middle of an overtaking maneuver, as long as they were genuinely making an effort and not plodding along .5kph faster than the person in the inside lane. It's people that think the outside lane is a driving lane that bugs me, and I will flash those people. It's an overtaking lane folks, move over and get out of the way.

And before someone comes up with the old nugget, yes, I will only get there 30 seconds before you. But I won't have to drive behind an incompetent, and that's the important factor.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

undertaking is only allowed during traffic jams

Where in the rules of the road does it explicitly state that?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

This is absolutely idiotic without motorway restrictions. Having cyclists, tractors and people walking dogs mixed with 120kmh traffic is bone headed.

What sort of a clown would use the Ballincollig bypass to walk their dog?

Motorway or not they have no business walking on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Seems you are the exact type of driver we are talking about, sits in the outside lane 1.5km/h faster than the traffic inside them and thinks nothing of it.

MC

Funny because it seems like you're sounding like the exact kind of driver that I'm talking about, i overtake and then return into the inside lane, seems like you spend a lot of time in the overtaking lane giving out about people 'slowing' you down as they overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

DM-BM wrote: »
    What sort of a clown would use the Ballincollig bypass to walk their dog?

Motorway or not they have no business walking on that road.

Plenty of clowns on the south ring. Saw two people wheeling their bicycles over the narrowest part two weeks ago (the bridge over Douglas with no hard shoulder) during rush hour. Lots of tractors, JCBs and I once saw a pony and trap being driven by two members of the Travelling Community in the outside lane.

120 km/h without motorway restrictions is a baaad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Post deleted - I am no longer using this particular forum due to a dispute with the moderator over an infraction applied to my account.

Um, you realise you've criticised yourself in your own post, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Um, you realise you've criticised yourself in your own post, yeah?

In what way?

Look at Lexxoxschips post, the one you were trying to prove. Note the word "only".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Look at Lexxoxschips post, the one you were trying to prove. Note the word "only".

Ah yes i see. i jumped to soon i think... didnt read all the posts fully. i should have.
    Apologies!!!

Post gone!

• Advertisement

You don't typically see any of those on that road anyway, and would probably get the odd looney doing it even if it was a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Was driving along the Midleton dual carriageway recently......came across a car driving in the overtaking lane (at above speed limit) with no other car in sight. Didn't flash them etc and moved into the left lane behind them....waited about a minute before passing them on the left. On go the hidden blue lights.....yip.....our boys in blue on a fishing trip.....

Did you report him? He wasn't obeying the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Was driving along the Midleton dual carriageway recently......came across a car driving in the overtaking lane (at above speed limit) with no other car in sight. Didn't flash them etc and moved into the left lane behind them....waited about a minute before passing them on the left. On go the hidden blue lights.....yip.....our boys in blue on a fishing trip.....

So he caught you for overtaking on the wrong side when he was driving illegally?

If it gets to court put in a complaint.

To get around him, did you also exceed the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Did you report him? He wasn't obeying the rules of the road.
    So he caught you for overtaking on the wrong side when he was driving illegally?

If it gets to court put in a complaint.

To get around him, did you also exceed the speed limit?

No point reporting him I reckon (didn't get his number anyway) - it's not like we're dealing with a professional police force here. Took my two points - was risking five (!!!) if I went to court. Yes, I was over the limit too.

Reporting him is not the same as challenging the points, and you don't need his number. There's a ticket for the event that corresponds to the date, time and location he pulled you, they can work out who the driver was based on that data.

The Gardaí should be pulling people that malinger in the overtaking lane, not encouraging it by doing it themselves. If your story is accurate he was wrong, and at the very least he should get a ticking off for it from his superior.

Please, go into your local Garda station with those details and file a complaint. If you don't, I really don't think you have any right to complain about it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Hi OP,

Can I just ask - on what stretch of the south ring road exactly has the speed limit been upped to 120 kmph? By the Ballincollig Bypass do you mean from EMC to Bandon Road Roundabout?

Thanks.

Almost. The 120k starts/ends near the Curraheen Park exit.

A lot of people still don't seem to have noticed the increased speed limit. Maybe they should use bigger signs....

...or restrict licences to people with brains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

Excellent - thanks Blitzkrieger. Am heading to Ballincollig at lunchtime - will keep an eye out for the signs...

Advertisement