Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice - Horse rearing over breastbar in Horsebox

Options
  • 25-10-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi

I need a bit of advice for a friend. They have a new horse who has started to rear over the breastbar in the new Ivor Williams horsebox, they have brought him to 3 shows and the first two he was fine, but the last show he reared over the breastbar it took about 20 minutes to get him released but once he was checked and was ok to travel home, just as they got into the car he did it again. So they got him released again and travelled home with not breast bar and tied him up with two ropes.

Just wondering has anyone had any similar experiences and if so how did they sort out the problem. They horse is young only 6 and has not been to many shows etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Find the cause for the rearing and treat it.

Does he get very stressed out in the box? Because the way to deal with that is by getting him used to it... very slowly.... You could have a serious injury on your hands if you dont deal with this correctly. You'll have to go back to the start with him on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mike99

thanks for that, he is fine travelling, I think the problem may of been a lorry parked up beside them and he is just a nosy type of horse and to be honest he is a very quiet horse, which was lucky. They were thinking of a travelling with another horse to see would this make any difference.

I dont think a horse would behave like this unless it is under duress.

If I were you I'd go right back to the start.
    Feed the horse in the box where he is free to go in and out as he pleases.
    start walking him through the box.
    load him up at home and leave him for a few minutes then take him out again.
    Then start taking him on very short journeys.
    basically just build up his exposure to the box very slowly. If he panics and rears, go back a step. It will be a slow process but would be worth it in the end.

Actually.. is this just a problem when he is waiting around at a show?

Thanks for all that, yeah I think it only happens when he is waiting at the show. I suggested to them maybe to take down the breast bars when he gets to a show, or obviously take him out of the box as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

I'd say its excitement/stress with all the other horses around. Again I'd say to try to get him used to it slowly. This could get very serious very quickly if he continues to do it.

Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it they will have to go back to scratch and I will give them a hand, hope there is light at the end of the tunnel as its very worrying.

Thanks again:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hi Mike. Fits advice is good. With young horses i tend to tie them over the brest bar in the regulat way with one lead rope and under the bar with another. In this way they can get over the bar and stops them rearing up. It only works with horses who have not had a bad experience and acts as a deterrant rather than prevention. Probably not the best idea for this horse as he seems quite panicky but a good tip for travelling with smaller young horses to prevent the notion entering their heads.

Thanks for that, never heard of that before, it sounds like a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

mike99 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, never heard of that before, it sounds like a very good idea.

Just make sure it isn't too tight. The horse should be able to stand and move it's head as it would if it were tied normally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

does the box have a front ramp???? is the top of this being left open???
    my sport horse used get very panicky at shows when the top was open but was generally fine when the ramp was down!!

it will be a matter of trial and error of alot of methods because it can be hard enough to find out the cause to problems like this because there can be so many variables in this kind of situation!!!! if its only while waiting around removing the breast bar could be an ok option,

No the top door was closed. I think I am going to have to try just putting the breast bar down at the show for starters and take it from there. Thanks for all the advice

Advertisement