Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US Car Imports

Options
  • 25-10-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

US Car ImportsI have a contact living Stateside and he confirms that he can order fully loaded RH drive motors, e.g BMW. The dealer simply needs to be given plenty of notice, i.e. to get in RH drive car. A €120k car here can be got in the US for circa $50k, a massive saving. A contact here has recently purchased a Dodge Ram jeep with crew cab from a dealer in Ireland. The dealer in Ireland imported the jeep via Italy, as there is a mechanism for avoiding VRT by bringing it in via Italy. I am trying to find out how the VRT can be avoided by bringing a vehicle in via Italy (as the Irish dealer did with the jeep). Even with transport costs etc., it appears that there could be massive savings. ANY IDEA'S???:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Cant c how's he's avoiding the VRT. Think someones telling u porkys

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

I read once that an American bmw dealer cannot buy a right hand drive beemer. Its like that regional thing with dvds.
    As for that italian thing .......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

with a 997 running here about Eur 145k (iirc), and in Atlanta, GA, only Eur 60,000, I'd have done it years ago if it was that easy.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

obviously you cant afford to buy it here so why do you want to drive one here?

your pertinent questions reveal the real issues you should be devoting your energies towards...

best of luck and take care of yourself, there are more important things in life than showboating in a 7 series

(VRT cannot be avoided by a resident of Ireland - fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My Colleague bought a BMW X5 from a Florida dealership. He has a Florida home so could put it through using his address.

He paid the money and collected the RHD from Germany at US prices. He paid his VRT on arrival into Ireland and still managed to save himself €26,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Magunn

Getting a bargain is the issue, not show boating. Buying a new car in Ireland should not cost as much as they do, simple as that. This VRT thing is unjust. Look at prices elsewhere.

At least the responses have proven that to buy a RH drive in America can save money.

Thanks for the replies. It appears that the Italy thing (VRT avoidance) must be bull. :(

Barname wrote: »

your pertinent questions reveal the real issues you should be devoting your energies towards...

best of luck and take care of yourself, there are more important things in life than showboating in a 7 series

Heavy stuff. I get some of your points, but to be fair I think you should not be worrying about me and my ability to afford things. That was not the point of my question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

My Colleague bought a BMW X5 from a Florida dealership. He has a Florida home so could put it through using his address.

He paid the money and collected the RHD from Germany at US prices. He paid his VRT on arrival into Ireland and still managed to save himself €26,000.

How did he manage to convince the VRT boys that the car was in his posession for six months?

Also, would the temp german plates and RHD have been a bit of a giveaway?

He would not have been able to get US plates for that car.

Either he's a spoofer, or he did some serious law breaking to pull that off.

Also, I have never heard of a us dealer sourcing RHD cars, and plenty have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cancan wrote: »
    How did he manage to convince the VRT boys that the car was in his posession for six months?

Also, I have never heard of a us dealer sourcing RHD cars, and plenty have tried.

He said he paid VRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Since the point of sale was the us, it would have been liable for VAT as well, if it did occur.
    Not saying it didn't happen - just that it seems extremely unlikely without falsifying documentation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,968 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VAT would presumably have been required in Germany in that case? 19%, so minorly lower than here.

cancan wrote: »

It could be that he paid for the Car, did not pick it up for six months and then imported it. Sounds unlikely I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Barname wrote: »

What possessed you to come along and post that? Full of heady words but no punctuation and poor grammar and a life lesson (wrapped in passive aggressive well wishing) to a complete stranger to boot.
    Many products pricing here has no bearing on actual value and generally are at odds with the rest of the world, which have no bearing on "owning" said product.

VRT can be "avoided" by a resident under certain specific circumstances (not that they are covered in this thread) as detailed on the Revenue VRT page.. smartass.

Advertisement