Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

office relationship ?

Options
  • 25-10-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Whats the big no-no about these ?

like you spend most of your concious day in work, you get to know people, you get to like them ?

I obviously dont know the horror stories... do tell :)

Would you have an office Relationship ? 23 votes

Yup
    0% 0 votes
    Nope
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Generally, you have more relationships than jobs. Trying to work with your ex would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Personal Issue. Moved to Work & Jobs.

Additionally for future reference, polls are not allowed in Personal Issues. Please take the time to read the charter to familiarise yourself with this forum.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

my bad sorry... wouldnt dating someone be a personal issue though ? rather than work/jobs. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Will Leahy was doing a bit on his show a couple of weeks ago about this, and a surprising number of office relationships went on to marriage and kids etc. I think it's fine as long as you stay professional and don't let it affect your work in any way. Of course if you're the boss and they're in your team it gets a little more complicated... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Dont know if this counts but i deliberatly moved to where my husband is< there are a lot of office relataionships where i am and noone has a problem> sure< i spend less time with my other collegues at lunch but it does improve our relationship>

My brother in law met his wife in the office< it does seem to be rampant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

samhail wrote: »
    my bad sorry... wouldnt dating someone be a personal issue thoug?

It would, if you were dating someone and had a problem with your particular relationship. The forum is called PERSONAL issues, not General Issues. As such, I made the decision to move your thread to a more appropriate forum, After Hours might also have worked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

I met my wife in work. Luckily we didnt have any issues, many others did. big building, lots of peeps, it happens. Tends to happen less in small offices. Couple of horror stories, these are the rank related ones

1. Boy Manager dating girl, she splits up from him, he's not happy, no more overtime for her.

2. Girl Manager dating boy, he splits from her, she starts crying in the office next day, made up some stories about boy, other girls in office no longer talk to boy, impossible work atmosphere. Boy leaves job.

3. Manager sleeps with secretary one friday night. For next 2 weeks, secretary does nothing in the job, comes in late etc, manager calls her in and says "do you think just cos we slept together it means you can do nothing in this job and not expect to be fired?" Secretary says " Well thats what my solicitor says".

1 & 2 are true.

loads of non-rank related ones, but the above stories are the reasons for no work relationships, ie, companys dont like to see personal issues brought into work.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Can a company actually ban such a relationship assuming it's not brought into work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

just recently changed my working hours to suit us both, he was working opposite end of shift to me so never got to see each other...
    working out great!!!!i have my breaks with my buddies and he has his
    breaks with his...should have done it a long time ago...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Red Alert wrote: »
    Can a company actually ban such a relationship assuming it's not brought into work?
    Ban? No, but it is generally frown up on. I know some companies that will not let two people work in the same office if they find out that they are a couple etc. The main reason of course is not so much when things work out but when it don't, heck only remember how our Christmas/summer parties used to end up to see why honestly :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think it depends on the company. If you work in a large company and your potential other half doesn't work on the same floor or even the same building as you then it could be fine.

However, if you work on the same floor, and people see you cooing over each other, it will be irritating as hell for your co-workers, and it is near impossible to keep your relationship secret from them.. Not to mention incredibly awkward if you broke up, or even if you had a row and it affected your ability to work together.

I've had relationships with two co-workers in the past...I would NEVER get involved with a colleague again based on those experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

I would say this could be really tricky and awkward to say the least, for example in my job I had a close friend of mine who happened to be female, she had a boyfriend, I had a girlfriend, nothing untoward going on, but we would spend our Lunch and breaks together and generally were very close and I was her supervisor

Turns out a few senior managers had something of a crush on her and started to try and create issues between myself and her, to the point where it really caused problems for us, and in one instance led to me being accused of many things, and led to a disciplinary for me, and people making whispers around the office about us being together which is rubbish.

This was then used against me and various mind games were played to try and cause issues between us including guilt tripping of senior management on here and abuse of power. - I can't imagine what it would actually be like to date someone in a circumstance like that, it was hard enough being close friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dontcallmecrazy

what do you do when your boss hits on you and makes it very clear what he wants and badgers you..going on and on and on, even over email, when you consistantly tell him to bugger of everytime. creates such a horrible working atmosphere, i really need to stay in this job as the money is good and due to the ''current econominc climate'' finding another job in my field would be impossible.

i just dont want to feel awkward and grossed out everyday at work.

any suggestions, have any of you been in this situation?

Advertisement