Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot open a particular website even though it is not offline

• 25-10-2008 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

For some reason (no matter which laptop I use) I am unable to open the website www.scriptlance.com at home.

This is a website I would normally regularly use.

If I try to ping the website, it times out.

I have tried resetting my router.

Can anyone think of anything which might be causing this?

I am using Clearwire.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

seems to be fine for me, try changing the dns on the router to, maybe the opendns ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for your reply.

Going to 192.168.1.1 only brings me to my wireless modem. How do I then connect to the router (which is connected to the wireless modem?)

Thanks

you should be able to set your dns under windows aswell which should work. if not try 192.168.1.254 for your modem access

Hmmm I tried both of those - changing the DNS setting still gives me the same problem, and I cannot access the router using 192.168.1.254.

Any other ideas? :)

go to the command promt and type in "tracert www.boards.ie" without the quotes and you should get a list of hops to boards, one of the first couple should be your modem i think. the first will be your router the second should be the modem but i could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

The first hop will be your local gateway or router ... the sequence of hops after that are determined by your ISP / DNS.

192.168.1.1 sounds like your router address, not a wireless modem.

Before you mess with DNS ... try bypassing it altogether.

In your browser, point to the IP address of scriptlance ... which for me resolves as 174.133.237.149 ... if you can't open the site using the IP address, DNS probably won't help you.

If DNS does appear to be the problem, you can control where your destination website resolves by choosing a different DNS server, such as Opendns as suggested earlier.

take a look here https://www.opendns.com/homenetwork/start/router/

Bear in mind, if you get this DNS config wrong, you may well lose connectivity.

So ... Change DNS server at your own risk.

Try the IP address first ... see how that goes and report back.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

OK - I cannot access scriptlance.com by using its IP.

Doing a tracert gives me the following -

[php]
    C:\>tracert www.scriptlance.com

Tracing route to www.scriptlance.com [174.133.237.149]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 34 ms 56 ms 34 ms 85.134.128.1
    3 85.134.254.2 reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.
    [/php]

So it looks like it's clearwire who are blocking it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

What happens when you try to reach the site using the IP address in the browser ? What error do you get ?

I can't think why Clearwire would block scriptlance.
    They may not even be aware of the site ... dnsstuff has no data on it, nor has http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ ... try it yourself and see what happens.

I don't know what Clearwire support is like ... I would fire off an email at this stage, see what they suggest.

It could well be the resolution issue is with the scriptlance site, as you would expect dnsstuff.com and downforeveryoneorjustme.com to resolve correctly.

I would fire off an email to scriptlance as well, see if there is any known issues or recently reported DNS / routing problems.

Advertisement