Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad swelling

• 26-10-2008 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi guys new to boards but wanna get some advice, i got a back tooth pulled yesterday there was a abssys in it, it took over 15 minutes to pull, anyhow the dentist never gave me antibiotics or painkillers so after 2 hours i was in fierce pain really bad but i brought some neurofen plus and that seemed to have done the trick, anyhow i woke up this morning and had big swelling and a lot more pain in my face so i rang the doctor and she said i have a bad infection and gave me 3 diffrent tyes of pills but its still pains bad, but im sure it will get better, my doctor said it is not dangerous but im worried, i love if i could get some advice if people think this could be dangerous or not? also should the dentist of given me antibiotics or painkillers after he pulled the tooth, should i complain to him? was he negligent? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

mmm that sounds bad

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

That happpened to me b4 it was horrible. The dentists are a bit useless they only give you the anti-biotics after your mouth swells up like a balloon:eek: Did they never hear that prevention is better than cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

did the dentist give you anti-biotics beforehand to kill the infection before he pulled the tooth?? as far as i know that the usual so if he pulled the tooth without killing the infection first then it does sound a bit negligent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

kev_s88 wrote: »
    did the dentist give you anti-biotics beforehand to kill the infection before he pulled the tooth?? as far as i know that the usual so if he pulled the tooth without killing the infection first then it does sound a bit negligent.....

+1

I had a bad abcess on my back tooth and went to dentist and he said he wouldn't pull it until the swelling and infection had dissappeared. He gave me anti biotics and pulled it after this.

He should have given you a course of ab and then pulled the tooth. If not the abcess and infection could still be there.

Feel for you, tooth ache is very painful altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

tricia, dentists do not routinely prescribe antibiotics " in case " an infection occurs, that is called over prescribing and can lead to serious problems for both patient and dentist if an anaphylactic reaction occurs. When a tooth is extracted the infection usually drains out and there is no need for antibiotic therapy. However it sounds like this poor guy has dry socket, an infection that is inpredictable but does tend to occur more after extractions of lower teeth and in people who smoke. You are quite right prevention is better than cure in most instances but giving a patient medication when they do not need it is far worse than prescribing it after a problem is diagnosed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

reply to last 2 posts, antibiotics are indicated in some instances prior to extraction particularly if region is very swollen and infected to reduce risk of cellulitis and so that anaethetic will work better. However if the patient is in alot of pain it is difficult to say to him/her " take these antibiotics and come back in a week ", usually it is better to extract the infected tooth as soon as possible and get the infection draining. Also, you may have not considered the fact that if the tooth was left there the infection could now be an awful lot worse, remember the tooth was the cause of the infection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

still in pain here but the swelling has gone down since im taking the antibotics. Just to answer previous posters i dont smoke and my abssys was not sweeled b4 i had my tooth pulled it wasnt even paining me just had a lump on my gum. Anyhow i hope this pain goes away its been nearly 4 days now.

Advertisement