Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fair play that man

Options
  • 26-10-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I stopped at one of Limerick's most infamous main dealers on Friday on my way home from college. Looked at a particular vehicle (which I had no intention of buying). In a place where you'd previously expect no attention unless you crawled to a salesmans desk and begged with your platinum car in your hand for attention, there was a salesman out to me in less than 5 minutes with the key, opened the car, started it up & gave a good sales pitch. Said I was looking for the father (Partially true...he doesn't know he's buying a car yet but I'm sick of sharing mine).

I was asked was there a trade in...said no....**lit up face on salesman**..."you can expect to pay a good bit less than what's on the screen so, and it's down €4k in the last 2 months as well"

Car was a minter, but was dirty as one of the sales team is currently driving it. He told me to ring ahead if we were coming to drive it and he'd have it cleaned up....wouldn't like someone to see it dirty.

Fair play....sign of the times though. And that's a deal that would probably run at €11.5k cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The suspense........:D

What car was it out of curiousity............MAKE/MODEL/YEAR/MILEAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

03 Camry with low mileage

Probably get it cheaper than that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ninty9er wrote: »
    but was dirty as one of the sales team is currently driving it.
    I have a problem with that.

I know they all do it but it's like going into DID to look at a washing machine and being told to come back later because one of the assistants is washing his dirty cacks in it.

Especially in this climate, you'd think they'd be out polishing and making their stock as presentable as possible instead of using it for their own jollies.

Hearing "one of the sales team is currently driving it" would immediately sour the deal for me.

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    Hearing "one of the sales team is currently driving it" would immediately sour the deal for me.

Doesn't really bother me that much. More likely a sign that it's a decent car if one of the staff is driving it above any of the vast array of premium stuff on the forecourt.

dingding wrote: »
    Probably get it cheaper than that :)

I know there's one going cheaper nearby, but I haven't been to see it yet, and on previous experience of the other place, I wouldn't get my hopes up on the quality front of the stuff they take in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Doesn't really bother me that much. More likely a sign that it's a decent car if one of the staff is driving it above any of the vast array of premium stuff on the forecourt.
    I worked beside a garage a few years back and the staff would 'borrow' the stock for personal use.
    They had a, um, 'drive it like you stole it' attitude most of the time and would frequently test to the limit doing burnouts to impress females and satisfy testosterone deficiencies etc..
    I guess that's tainted my attitude when I hear stuff like you posted.

I worked beside a garage a few years back and the staff would 'borrow' the stock for personal use.
    They had a, um, 'drive it like you stole it' attitude most of the time and would frequently test to the limit doing burnouts to impress females and satisfy testosterone deficiencies etc..
    I guess that's tainted my attitude when I hear stuff like you posted.

Most main dealer sales staff don't borrow....they drive for a prolonged period until what they're driving sells. Although I do know of a few places where a car is not part of the emoluments package.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have a problem with that.

I know they all do it but it's like going into DID to look at a washing machine and being told to come back later because one of the assistants is washing his dirty cacks in it.

Especially in this climate, you'd think they'd be out polishing and making their stock as presentable as possible instead of using it for their own jollies.

That's absolute rubbish. It's common for sales staff to drive cars they have on the forecourt. It's part of the pay benefits for sales staff in garages given that they are on a basic + commission. The Bik is lower also because it comes into the car pool class. Whatever miles they add to the clock driving 2nd hand cars doesn't affect sales prices.

As and addendum, I heard firsthand from a sales guy that moved to a renowned BMW dealer complain about his bik increasing because it became so much higher being a bmw.

• Advertisement

Most main dealer sales staff don't borrow....they drive for a prolonged period until what they're driving sells. Although I do know of a few places where a car is not part of the emoluments package.
    Fair enough, if it's their premium stock though then why wouldn't they keep it in premium condition?
    That's absolute rubbish. It's common for sales staff to drive cars they have on the forecourt. It's part of the pay benefits for sales staff in garages given that they are on a basic + commission.
    There are more than enough posts here saying second hand motors are not shifting - why should staff be allowed take the premium stock home. Yes it's a perk of the job but the auld celtic tiger is dead and maybe it's time for the staff to take the micra home if they really need transport for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Yes it's a perk of the job but the auld celtic tiger is dead and maybe it's time for the staff to take the micra home if they really need transport for the weekend.

Better chance of that Micra selling, than that big Camry which is well over priced btw

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Better chance of that Micra selling, than that big Camry which is well over priced btw
    Very true but you know what I meant.

Very true but you know what I meant.

Also, an overpriced Camry is cack to a badge snob compared to the rest of the second hand stock on the particular forecourt.

However, the Camry is likely to last longer than any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

:D
    That's absolute rubbish. It's common for sales staff to drive cars they have on the forecourt. It's part of the pay benefits for sales staff in garages given that they are on a basic + commission.
    That's what demos are for, and all cars should be kept spotless. In practice, staff tend to drive what's nice/has fuel in it/has tax on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i did a deal with a well known gagrage in dub....the sales man to close the deal nearly was on his hands and knees to close the deal.....6 months ago i would have been frog marched off the premises with my offer. It was pathethic. I asked the salesman , hows 2009 looking. He said last yr he has 45 cars on order for jan, this jan he has only 2...sad , very sad.

I would not offer more than 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also, an overpriced Camry is cack to a badge snob compared to the rest of the second hand stock on the particular forecourt.

Without mentioning the garage I think I have a fair idea who you are talking about and I have seen that Camry. Is this garage on the Dublin road by any chance?;)

I'm nearly sure that Camry has been there since the end of last year, it's pretty high spec though but not having the right badge and being a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre petrol means there should be plenty more room for negotiation.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Without mentioning the garage I think I have a fair idea who you are talking about and I have seen that Camry. Is this garage on the Dublin road by any chance?;)

I'm nearly sure that Camry has been there since the end of last year, it's pretty high spec though but not having the right badge and being a 4 cylinder 2.4 litre petrol means there should be plenty more room for negotiation.

Yup that's the one. JM was the salesperson. Nice guy. It's a minter of a car apart from the usual mirror case scrapes.

As hard as I've tried there's no getting the dad to look at anything that big:(:(

This might be more like it
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=900036

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's like saying dog's milk is the longest lasting milk ;)

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That's like saying dog's milk is the longest lasting milk ;)

I'd be more willing to put money on the Camry hitting 1,000,000 miles than a 03 E Class hitting 500,000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, fairly sure i have seen that car before as well. Time's are quite, i heard one or two are gone from that garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Oshare Bones

This wouldn't be it by any chance?

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2500278#

This maybe lol:D

This wouldn't be it by any chance?

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2500278#
    Nope. That was the other one I was referring to.
    This maybe lol:D

Was there supposed to be a linky there?

Was there supposed to be a linky there?

I quoted your post with the link :D

Edit: Just realised that link is to a completly different car lol!

Advertisement