Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Post Pay Network Lock

• 26-10-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm a meteor post pay customer for nearly a year now, and am travelling abroad for an extended period of time, to a non EU destination, so don't feel like getting ripped excessively for non EU roaming rates.
    As a precaution before I leave, I checked another networks sim in my phone, only to find the phone has a network block on it.
    Now considering neither of the other 3 networks place a network lock on post pay phones, I find this a little cheeky.
    They're guaranteed at least 50 bones of my hard earned cash every month, ontop of the international minutes add on I have, and any calls/texts that are not included in the bundle. Not only that, since they collect on the day I get paid, it is always paid in full on time.
    When I phoned them about it, I don't think the guy on the other end knew what I was on about, or he was just a newbie, because he kept on mentioning the €130 you have to spend on pre pay to unlock.
    Any views on this would be appreciated, and what would be the legal situation if it came to that?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

All networks lock their pre and post paid phones. They won't unlock a post paid phone near the start of the contract, but after a while they usually do. if you are on a prepaid handset they want you to have spent a min of 130 of your money on them so they can recoup the Subsidy they put on the handset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

once 3 bills are paid, call 1905 and there'll be no issue getting it unlocked. btw of course all the handsets ae going to be locked, if not, any randomer from anywhere in the world with some dodgy documentation could sign up a contract, get a €600 handset on the cheap and then feck off back to anywhereintheworldistan never to be heard of again. locking the heavily subsidised handset is a standard and in no way unsurmountable security measure protecting the networks, dont be so offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bongi69 wrote: »
    I'm a meteor post pay customer

I don't think the guy on the other end knew what I was on about, because he kept on mentioning the €130 you have to spend on pre pay to unlock.

Any views on this would be appreciated, and what would be the legal situation if it came to that?
    Cheers

I think the guy had his pay as you go & bill pay phones mixed up....call them again.....

phone unlocking should be in the T&C's somewhere, can't ever seen it going to court......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I think the guy had his pay as you go & bill pay phones mixed up....call them again.....

phone unlocking should be in the T&C's somewhere, can't ever seen it going to court......;)
    Legal situation? I reckon some people are too quick to start threatening legal this and legal that these days without actually trying to solve a "problem" first.

Anyway .. back to mod mode ... see this thread!.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement