Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday closing

Options
  • 26-10-2008 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Just remembering something my mam and grandad would have gone on about when I was small.

All the shops in Limerick City Centre used to close all day on a Thursday every week.

Does anyone see this as a way forward for the city by helping to reduce costs for shops and keep them in town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thursday seems to be a busy enough day in the City,cant imagine shops not opening.

Id be getting worried if we saw this happening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

i think that the most shops used to close a half day on thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

McCarthys furniture shop on William Street used to close at lunch time on Thursday up until very recently (possibly until they closed for good)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ninty9er wrote: »
    Just remembering something my mam and grandad would have gone on about when I was small.

All the shops in Limerick City Centre used to close all day on a Thursday every week.

Does anyone see this as a way forward for the city by helping to reduce costs for shops and keep them in town?

By losing them a days business? genius...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the money saved in electricity and staffing would be drastically smaller than the money earned from revenue, if not, closing for 7 days would be a better option for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    i think that the most shops used to close a half day on thursday.

+1

I remember that growin' up, lots of shops half day on Thursdays, late 70's early 80's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

ninty9er wrote: »

Yes, close shops on one the busiest shopping days of the week. Great plan. Why would you need to be open on the day a lot of people get paid? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Times are different now.

This sort of thing would just be step backward for the city these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It used to be Thursday.

All I'm suggesting is closing on a slack business day....maybe a Tuesday, to save on mainly wage costs. It may help struggling businesses to stay open in the long run.

Realistically there's little point being open at 9 in the morning when a lot of people are at work either.

On the "losing business" argument, this could be augmented by a collective agreement of all city centre traders to open late one night per week, rather than just the chain stores doing it on a Friday. I used to work in retail on a Friday evening and it was completely dead except in December and January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Was talking to a city centre shopkeeper about this recently, he said that in the old days shops would close on Thursday cause that's when the shopkeepers would head off to buy their stock. Obviously these days they don't have to shut up shop completely any more to do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement