Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home improvement

Options
  • 26-10-2008 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Was gonna post this in diy but i may get a better response from here. Basically i am looking for some recommendations with regard to a reliable home improvement outfit in donegal.

Im from letterkenny so anywhere in that locality would be helpful. I need mostly second fixings such as flooring and doors, bathroom ware, tiles etc etc. You know the usual stuff to help me finish the house.

Thanks in advance derossi!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

homebase and atlantic in the retail parks are the two place that spring to mind, if its bathroom specific, there was a place arcross from mcewins electrical, also in one of the retail parks, been a while since i was in letterkenny so not sure if still there

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is it labour or materials or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

Just materials. I reckon the likes of homebase are bound to be expensive. I have done a bit of digging and come up with Kellys hardware, Bassetts, James Johnstons, Global Bathrooms, Donegal tile center, heatons. Any opinions on these and am i missing any?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Rite Price Tiles maybe? I'm not that convinced that it's cheap, but maybe it depends on the tiles you're after.

Or venture into B&Q in Derry, which is quite big. Heatons is a good choice for homewares. Also, there's Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I used local suppliers (Finn Valley and Letterkenny) for nearly all the basic building and first fix materials.

I found though that with many of them the choice of second fix / finishing materials can be limited. Many have the same range of doors, architrave and skirting for example. I ended up going to 'The Floor Store' between Lifford and Strabane for doors. With Sterling the way it is at the moment it's certainly worth pricing each side of the border. McNamee's, behind Pat Kirks Mazda showroom in Strabane, are also quite good on price.

For tiles I went with Global. A bit expensive but I had a lot of tiles and there was a bit of give in the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try Maxi McCreary in the Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    Try Maxi McCreary in the Cross.
    Was going to post that actually.

You dont actually have to stay around Letterkenny. Get a list of the materials and shop around. Raphoe Hardware & Grain can have a few offers on timber products. You may even pick up something from one of the Donegal Creameries stores. Theres a guy outside Castlefinn does the pre-hung doors.

Advertisement