Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loud Vibration in Plumbing

Options
  • 26-10-2008 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

When my overflow tank is filling to the top - there is a very loud vibration of pipes in the attic. As in tank would be full - then flush a toilet - then loud vibration.

Would it be caused by air in my water system? If so, how do you get rid of it?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Probably caused by the mains water refilling the tank. Could also have some air in the mains pipe.

Have a look and see exactly where the noise is being generated. It could be that there is some movement of the incoming mains pipe when the tank is refilling and it is touching off something to amplify the sound. It might be just a simple thing of wrapping the pipe in some pipe insulation to stop it touch off something.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I have turned on all taps - effectively emptying the overflow tank (there was no water coming from taps) - hopefully this might have cleared the air

If not - I'll start checking the pipes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The sound is called Water Hammer.

It is the mains opening into your tank.

You could turn down your water pressure or damp the pipe that is vibrating with a dish cloth. Jamming it between the pipe and the tank(or anything solid).

it is not air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,

When my overflow tank is filling to the top - there is a very loud vibration of pipes in the attic. As in tank would be full - then flush a toilet - then loud vibration.

Would it be caused by air in my water system? If so, how do you get rid of it?

Thanks,
    Keith.

It's probably the ballcock. The vibration is caused by high mains water pressure. I think that you can put a diferent insert into it or I seem to remember filing the insert to change the shape one time.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Not sure if this helps, but I experience the same problem. For some strange reason (I am a engineer and I haven't yet worked it out) if our outside tap is leaking slightly and not turned off it causes exactly that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Water hammer
    If there is a valve in your hot press; then if you adjust this, you should be able to eliminate, the noise’ without lousing to much flow to the tank
    This will involve a lot of flushing, on your part before you get this right
    You will have to leave the tank in the attic fill before each flush
    Your supply to the tank is most likely ½ inch this is connected to 4 inch connected to another bigger main and so on the pressure and flow these mains that are causing your problem
    If the flushing and adjusting doesn’t work then you can fit a pressure regulator under the kitchen sink if this is where your incoming mains enters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Thanks for all the replies lads

Since I flushed all the water out - no vibrations - so far - just coincidence??

Regarding the valves - there are 4 pipes running through the hot press - one hot - one narrow and 2 with valves. Is there any way of telling which is the one to adjust the flow up to the overflow tank???

New build house by the way - and don't get me started on those push button toilets, I'm forever having to adjust them to stop the water flowing after the cistern is full

Your best bet would be to follow the pipe leading from the commonly called ball valve it the attic.
    Look into the large black tank in the attic
    This usually goes true the hot press it could be ½ copper or a black waven pipe .
    Pipes coming from the attic true the hot press; bigger than this; normally ¾ copper; would be for the hot and cold water domestic supply . They may be another connecting the heating feed and expansion usually combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Your mains stopcock is more than likely under your kitchen sink.

Your pipe in the attic may be causing the noise ,if it's not properly clipped in the attic.
    A lot of the time the noise can be caused by the pipe vibrating ,because it's not properly clipped.

It's unlikely that your mains supply is routed through your hotpress ,most likely it's ran from the kitchen side of the house up to the attic.

Like 311 said Hopefully it’s something as simple as pipes not being clipped properly

• Advertisement
Advertisement