Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors Edge...

Options
  • 26-10-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

Is anyone else excited about this game? It looks fantastic and the concept and theme seem fairly original for a video game. I tend to be fairly conservative when trying games which have new concepts and original ideas so this is quite a rariety for me. I'm just hoping the gameplay can match the presentation ect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror's_Edge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm a little weary of this on. If it plays like the videos have shown, it'll be great fun but possibly quite short. But what I'm thinking is that most of the game will be you running around in circles trying to figure out where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My worry about Mirrors Edge is that its almost an FPS on rails - I think the main game will last no more than 4 hours. Thats why there is a time trial mode tacked on.

Unless the reviews prove otherwise, this is a rental for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Four hours would certainly be pretty bad. Apparently its going to be part of a trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

humanji wrote: »
    But what I'm thinking is that most of the game will be you running around in circles trying to figure out where to go.

yeah i think your right there..in the gameplay vid's ive seen the player knows exactly where to jump from and where too..theres no way youd know this if it was your first time on the level..unless they put indicators in or something but that would probably ruin it..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my biggest fear for this game is that it will turn out to be assassins creed all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mirrors Edge demo hitting PSN today:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/29/mirrors-edge-demo-hits-psn-oct-30-xbl-oct-31/

Can't wait for this. Hopefully it will be a good gauge on what to expect from the full game.

I don't know about if its getting released on the EU PSN, but it won't matter if you've got a US PSN account set up (you'd be foolish not to as the US gets a lot of demos weeks before Europe gets them)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have heard its a very short demo. I will still be downloading this as soon as I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

demo is very short alright but it is awesome fun. Controls are a little strange at first but you get used to them quickly and the game seems to flow very well - never really stuck wondering where to go next. Dunno how it will fare spread out over a full game though. Think it will end up being quite short alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

People talking about not knowing where to go etc, as far as I remember, you just follow a red line or rather, the path your meant to go is usually painted red..if you get me..

Watch the vids again and you'll see...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

its pretty, oh so very very pretty, but i get the feeling the game itself will be dreadful

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's incredible fun to play - if you have a good PC though I would recommend not going with console version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Seen it in action - looks quite smooth and very good.

With regards to knowing where to go - different parts are coloured differently (everything else is grey) so "red" is jump to or jump off for example. Graphics are pretty cool (levels are bland but there are some things you go "Wow!").

Think it's the time trial that is supposed to keep people playing - trying to get better and better times. Not sure if there is any sort of movie maker / replay because that would certainly add to it.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

must download this when i get home.

although i shall wait for reviews before buying as i find it hard to trust reviews of eurogamer these days after them giving bioshock on ps3 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just played the demo there.... hmmm, I just don't know what to make of it. First time I died alot, second playthrough I got to grips with the mechanic and followed the line no problem. I want value for money but I don't know if it'll be here, maybe in the time trial mode but I'm not too fussed on that. Hopefully the story is really good, gonna wait on the reviews.

Also, for knowing where to go. You can follow the red objects or press the B button (Xbox 360) and it will point you in the direction of your objective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A great demo. Really glad it plays as smooth and fast-paced as the videos suggested. Tutorial is great for getting to the grips with the controls: a few deaths getting used to wall runs and jumping to poles, but it teaches you the tricks very effectively. Actual level is a lot of fun: very intense, some great manouveres (landing the big jumps is a great rush) and you are never really confused about where to go.

Again, the worry is that the game seems fantastic in short form. But think the actual game will need to have more variety to provide longevity. At the moment, the concept has proven to be sound, and the game is sure to be fun. But curious to see how long the rush will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i think its great, defo a game to buy but probably only when it comes down in price a bit. good fun, i can see people challenging themselves and others with the time trial so the story isn't the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Definitely reminds me of Assassin's Creed. Not too excited about it. The graphics also look very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Loovee this game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

played through the demo a couple of times until I got the rhythm of it down. Personally I think it's excellent, although I'll be waiting for the PC release as I'd rather the quick response times of the mouse compared to the analogue stick.

Yeah I have the demo mastered now. Really fun game once you've learned a level. I can see this being one of those games that you'd play through multiple times looking for alternative routes - there were even some hidden routes in the demo.

I really really hope its an 8-10 hour game, but I have my doubts.

From looking at the achievements, is that first level a chapter, or part of a chapter? It its a full chapter (and there are 9 in the game), then I'm worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

I completed the training and spent a little time on the actual demo. Graphics look great. I am worried that if the level design is not pervasively creative it could become slightly repetitive. I feel this may be one of those games that when the sequel arrives the original will seem very outdated in terms of gameplay mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah I have the demo mastered now. Really fun game once you've learned a level. I can see this being one of those games that you'd play through multiple times looking for alternative routes - there were even some hidden routes in the demo.

I really really hope its an 8-10 hour game, but I have my doubts.

From looking at the achievements, is that first level a chapter, or part of a chapter? It its a full chapter (and there are 9 in the game), then I'm worried.

I think I saw in the demo that it's just the prologue level, so not even considered a chapter.

Could be "Chapter 1 - Prologue".
    Won't know until the reviews....

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Just tried it and it seemed good enough. But will wait for several reviews before deciding on it as I have the same concerns most other people have already pointed out.

Having tried the PS3 demo all I can say is god I can't stand six-axis. Would of be better if they just stuck a button on the controller that works 1 out of 10 presses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

my bet is that it'll get boring after about 2 hours....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Azza wrote: »
    Having tried the PS3 demo all I can say is god I can't stand six-axis. Would of be better if they just stuck a button on the controller that works 1 out of 10 presses.

Aye, after 6 failed attempts at crossing a pipe I was almost ready to give up on the demo... Went into the options and turned off motion sensing and crossed it on my next attempt.
    Can't think of 1 PS3 game that has benefited from subtle motion sensing controls, the only time it seems to work is when you shake the controller violently (like when an enemy jumps on you in Resistance)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I turned it off in Ratchet & Clank as well:P
    I guess it worked alright for most sections, but the device for breaking through walls and the circuit making mini game were incredibly frustrating...

Advertisement