Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors Edge...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS3 developers: The six axis doesn't work, don't bother using it.

I think the worst offender was Uncharted. The six axis aiming method for grenades was just silly. Grenades ended up being totally useless because of how useless they were. There were pletny of times when playing that game when I though 'a grenade would be useful here if I had any', then remembered I had plenty and then remembered just how useless they were. At least there's an option to turn it off in mirrors edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Helix wrote: »
    its pretty, oh so very very pretty, but i get the feeling the game itself will be dreadful

based on the demo, i cant help feeling im right

pretty ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Thought the demo was pretty great tbh,

Why did you think it was "****"?

My only concern will be that it might get boring about 2 hours in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Also, it might be finished 2 hours in. :)

Definitely not "****" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

WellyJ wrote: »

yeah... same here. I mean I tried using a gun but they really haven't made it intuitive, which makes me think they just don't want you to use them. So it will be basically a first person assassins creed with out any of the sweet sword skills. Still, as a free running game it might keep me interested, much like how SKATE kept me interested for weeks even though you are just skating around pulling off tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Just played the demo on the 360. I'll definitely be buying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I enjoyed the demo too. Might be a game to rent or pick up second hand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Not too impressed with the demo, tbh and I was really looking fwd to this. I'm not getting any impression of movement and it's almost impossible to work out when to jump (I assume that comes with practice), I fell short on the first jump about 6 times. Same with the pipe, had to turn off the motion sensor. And the final bit, on the zip wire - undershot, undershot, overshot, overshot, undershot, just right. I can see it being annoying until you get it right and then just a tad boring once you have it down right. Plus "fighting" seemed to be out of my hands a bit.

So not impressed, will wait for reviews, but I think I'll be able to save 60 quid this month. The kids need shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

pretty ****

I would classify the game as "****" :rolleyes:

I actually really enjoyed the demo. The graphics are very nice indeed, my only concern is that this will be very, very short....or you get stuck doing one ridiculous jump over and over again.

Demo was very good though, but if thats one whole chapter, I'm worried.

• Advertisement

Don't think its one whole chapter. At the very end when you are holding on for dear life, there are some red items in the distance, which means that it continues on some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What's the story with this and the PC?
    Intarwebs gives little help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

just played the demo for this. it is absolutely sweet. cant wait for the full game. had loads of fun playing it. way too many games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's the story with this and the PC?
    Intarwebs gives little help.
    It won't be out on the PC until Feb 2009, which given the glut of top titles right about now, is fine by me if Mirror's Edge turns out to be any good. Plus it might give them more time to refine the controls for the PC. For the visuals alone (along with the unique FPS concept) I am curious & hopeful this turns out to a good 'un

WellyJ wrote: »
    Thought the demo was pretty great tbh,

Why did you think it was "****"?

the whole idea of it is horribly limited and the gameplay just didnt appeal to me, its one of the blandest ideas for a game ive ever come across. the only reason its getting attention is coz it looks pretty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

the whole idea of it is horribly limited and the gameplay just didnt appeal to me, its one of the blandest ideas for a game ive ever come across. the only reason its getting attention is coz it looks pretty

OK I agree that it could appear limited, but bland? It is one of the freshest ideas in some time, actually doing something new and experimental. It takes the First person perspective and really adds a new twist to it. The prospect of a new experience is far more promising than the art style. The demo worked extremely well, so will be curious to see how the reviews fare.

I expect if there is a review embargo of some sort, it will be lifted on Monday (the game is out on Tuesday in the States and next Friday here).

Can't wait to see how it fares (and to see how long the game is).

Final Trailer now out. Still think its looks fantastic.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42455.html

Trailer mentions a 10/10 review.

First online review now up: http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/Mirrors-Edge-Review.aspx

Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think people aren't viewing the game correctly.

The level design is basically like a snowboarding game such as 1080. Different paths but inevitably going to a pre-determined location (a more GTA style freedom in a large city but using roof tops could have been more fun as you could explore and just find places with fun things more like Tony Hawks skateboarding levels for free running).

The movement is again more like a snowboarding game or skateboarding game than a FPS as the different buttons are an attempt to let you put together different moves to get places faster/better/whatever.

The shooting as stated by someone else, your not really supposed to do. It is really more of an evade and disarm game than a FPS which is a good thing. Don't you think there are enough FPS games on the market?

That is how I see the game from playing the demo and I think it looks fantastic. Will be picking this up on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Wasn't interested in this at all until I downloaded the demo. Really good fun and very satisfing from the start. I've decided to put off getting GoW2 and get this instead.

• Advertisement

OK I agree that it could appear limited, but bland? It is one of the freshest ideas in some time, actually doing something new and experimental. It takes the First person perspective and really adds a new twist to it. The prospect of a new experience is far more promising than the art style. The demo worked extremely well, so will be curious to see how the reviews fare.

oh i commend any developer who tries something different, but id like something with a bit more potential depth to it. its personal preference, i just dont like the game at all

Hi guys,

We have organised a Q&A on our site with Mirror's Edge developers. I've already added the question about length to the sites new blog (:D pimp the blog).

I thought I'd throw it up here and you could ask questions if you want to. Link below.
    http://www.exiledgamers.com/blog/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152:mirrors-edge-qaa&catid=42:games-xbox360&Itemid=94

Looks like a rental to me. I saw the review on Bravo's Playr this morning.

- They gave it 6/10
    - They said the cutscenes didn't fit in with the style of the main game.
    - The story is underwhelming and predictable.
    - They said the main part of the game (free running) is very satisfying and alot of fun.
    - However, they said combat is frustrating as hell - you'll die ALOT
    - They said it takes 5 hours to finish story mode on normal difficulty (time trials will add length to that).

Eurogamer Review popped up at Midnight.
    8/10

I expect more reviews will pop up tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Jim wrote: »
    Wasn't interested in this at all until I downloaded the demo. Really good fun and very satisfing from the start. I've decided to put off getting GoW2 and get this instead.
    I wouldn't go that far now, GOW2 is a brilliant game and from what I have seen in the demo of Mirrors Edge, GOW2 has more playability.

Mr E wrote: »
    Eurogamer Review popped up at Midnight.
    8/10

I expect more reviews will pop up tomorrow....

Have to disagree with their review on the point of shooting. The shooting is intentionally crap because your not supposed to be a world class sniper. It just isn't what the game is about so I think it is wrong to knock it down for an intentional design choice the reviewer didn't like because he meant he couldn't shoot up the place.

If shooting was good in this game, people would stand and shoot instead of playing it the way it was meant to be played which is an evasion game. Your not supposed to shoot, your supposed to run.
    hellboy99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far now, GOW2 is a brilliant game and from what I have seen in the demo of Mirrors Edge, GOW2 has more playability.

GOW2 I imagine, plays the same as the first which is its problem. A bit shallow and repetitive. It is just another shooter IMO. Mirrors Edge is a break from this and while I'm sure it has a few issues, I think I'll enjoy it more and look forward to a sequel that irons out whatever issues are in this one.

I agree brim4brim. The fact that there is an achievement for not killing anyone says that its possible to avoid confrontation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wish this game success simply because it breaks the mould, its release is timely given we're also getting yet another CoD game that is simply CoD4. I find it funny that a criticism is levelled at its gunplay. Talk about missing the point spectacularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wish this game success simply because it breaks the mould, its release is timely given we're also getting yet another CoD game that is simply CoD4. I find it funny that a criticism is levelled at its gunplay. Talk about missing the point spectacularly.

Yeah it does seem strange that a game that went out of its way not to be an FPS is being criticised for that reason.

Perhaps they should have titled it "NOT AN FPS!" followed by loads of exclamation marks and colours all over the cover, as well as in game announcer saying it at five second intervals. Maybe that would have sorted out the confusion. Although knowing gamers, probably not.

• Advertisement

Yeah it really just seemed like he sucked at it. It is quite clear when his other main criticism of it is that he died a lot because he couldn't make the jumps or he got killed a lot by enemies firing.

I think it just wasn't his kind of game.

Advertisement