Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirrors Edge...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Man i love the music

Such a great song fits the game perfectly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny, I was just going to say that whatever about the game itself, the soundtrack is absolute top drawer stuff. Grabbed a copy of the single "Still Alive" (no not that one) & it's so good to chill out to. Anyone know if you can get the full album yet? I have seen no sign of it in the few places I have checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

anyone going to this:

SNEAK PREVIEW: MEET THE MAKERS BEHIND THE ALL NEW MIRROR'S EDGE VIDEOGAME FROM EA

12 Nov 2008
    (Time: 16:30 -18:30)

http://sciencegallery.com/events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

this should keep you's entertained until its released

http://www.bornegames.com/?page_id=369

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    this should keep you's entertained until its released

http://www.bornegames.com/?page_id=369

That is class, sent around work today, thanks for posting :D

Its as much fun as Flash Portal.

Exiledgamers.com review of this game up now:
    http://www.exiledgamers.com/gamereviews/28650-mirrors-edge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

my biggest fear for this game is that it will turn out to be assassins creed all over again.

Yeah looks like it, Assassin's creed in FPS, In modern time.

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Yeah looks like it, Assassin's creed in FPS, In modern time.

Not really. Assassin's Creed was hold A and push up on the analog stick.

This has a more involved control system so there is a skill to getting around quickly unlike Assassin's Creed.

In fact, anyone that does think it is like Assassin's Creed owes it to themselves to at least play the demo so they know it isn't like that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Penis Eye

tell you what folks, this game was under my radar until i played the demo. also itd be good if i can 100% it in a week or 2 an then it wont feel like im havin an affair wit resistance 2.

thinkin of buyin it 2day

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its not assassins creed at all.... I think they're very different.

Anyone done a price check in the shops? Where is the best deal?

• Advertisement

Personally I'd class this game in with the likes of Tony Hawks and SKATE. It's not really an FPS at all, it's a free running sim with bullet time grappling to keep it interesting. If you like chaining together tricks and keeping a line going for as long as possible, like in SKATE or games of that ilk, then you'll probably like this. If you are looking for an overpowered FPS then you are not going to get it.

Personally I'd class this game in with the likes of Tony Hawks and SKATE. It's not really an FPS at all, it's a free running sim with bullet time grappling to keep it interesting. If you like chaining together tricks and keeping a line going for as long as possible, like in SKATE or games of that ilk, then you'll probably like this. If you are looking for an overpowered FPS then you are not going to get it.

I think if you can't take a break from FPS for a few hours to give this or Fable 2 a go then you've got to be compensating for something :p

I'm hyped for this game especially after the review on our site as I know the guy and he said it was one of his favourite games of the year and that the only bad thing about it is it gets hard towards the end but that he still loved it.

Can't wait until I get home :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

By the sounds of the review is more of a rent than a buy unfortunately :(. Seems the moments of grace are backed up by some dodgy mechanics and underwhelming levels. But the sheer joy and movement of the demo hint that its definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Mr E wrote: »
    Its not assassins creed at all.... I think they're very different.

Anyone done a price check in the shops? Where is the best deal?

€60 in my local Game anyway.

Don't like paying that price now having been spoiled by the relatively lower prices we've been getting for the big releases lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just to clarify, my assassins creed comment was made before i played the demo.

the game is 52.99 in hmv by the way, i picked it up on a complete impulse buy, off to play it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I picked it up today.

Bit disappointed to be honest.

The 'flow' thing doesn't seem to work very well at all and I find myself all too often not having a clue where I'm supposed to be going.

I've just played as far as the second level and I've already given up in frustration as the wall running seems to require pixel perfect precision for you to make it all the way across a gap... I'd get it right maybe one in five times... but if I then got hit by a bullet later on I'd have to go all the way back to a point before the wall run section.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Got it earlier today. Played it til now and finished the story (took about 5hrs 30 mins or so). Starting on the time trials and speedruns now. It's much more focussed without the plot, as the freerunning mechanics are great. It's really satisfying going through it again and shaving a minute off your time. Reviews are pretty messed up for this title as it may be a marmite case.

I think its great anyway and I'll be going for 1000/1000 points, though whether or not I can do the speedruns for the last 2 levels is a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Rented it today, just after my first session playing it,

dont really know what to think. Not getting into the whole flow thing either myself. Seems like a decent enough renter, defo not a purchase imo.

The achievements look pretty easy tho

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't know if the achievements are THAT easy.... I tried the first time trial last night and got 1:50 (straight line, no mistakes). A 3 star rating is 1:10! Time trials are going to be the main challenge here, not the main campaign.

Mr E wrote: »
    Time trials are going to be the main challenge here, not the main campaign.

Yeah I think what will give this game life is the timetrials. I played Sonic long after I had tired of the main story purely to shave seconds off my timetrial scores.

Pity there's no coop though. It would of been good to do relays with a friend. Like if you don't get to the pass off point by a certain time your friend has to wait around and ends up getting killed... something like that, to put more pressure on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Loving it so far. Cant see how someone got 47 secs in playground 1 though, my current record is 58 :(

Yeah I think what will give this game life is the timetrials. I played Sonic long after I had tired of the main story purely to shave seconds off my timetrial scores.

Pity there's no coop though. It would of been good to do relays with a friend. Like if you don't get to the pass off point by a certain time your friend has to wait around and ends up getting killed... something like that, to put more pressure on you.

This raises an interesting point. Now that this team have shown how to do running in 3D, will Sonic follow suit? Could be really interesting to have a Sonic game like this :D

brim4brim wrote: »
    This raises an interesting point. Now that this team have shown how to do running in 3D, will Sonic follow suit? Could be really interesting to have a Sonic game like this :D

Sonic Unleashed?

Sonic Unleashed?

Sort of I guess but I don't think it will work well with the third person perspective.

Also if is like Sonic and the secret rings, you can't stop him and the camera will get in the way half the time so you don't have enough control of the character which is the failing of almost every 3D Sonic game that they need to sort out.

Yet I still keep buying them hoping they fix it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Old thread I know but still relevant to the thread. Playing this now and it is pretty good if not kinda short. I started chapter 7 just now but stopped as it was late and I only played the game for about 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the second is padded out with challenges which I mostly ignored so it was short as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Skerries wrote: »
    the second is padded out with challenges which I mostly ignored so it was short as well

I finished it this evening but the last 3 chapters were a bit longer due to the combat parts. I hated them and I only realized in the last two minutes of game play you can pick up dropped weapons. It would have made the combat parts a lot easier if i figured that out at the beginning.

I will pick up the second one when it is on sale some time.

the first game was pretty innovative at the time. combat was famously terrible though. never played the second one. is it worth trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

glasso wrote: »
    the first game was pretty innovative at the time. combat was famously terrible though. never played the second one. is it worth trying?

Mirrors Edge, flawed as it is, may be my favourite game from the last gen. I’ve struggled to play more than ten hours of the sequel. The open world just kills it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

glasso wrote: »

Combat is still poor, but now it's more present than ever. And the Open World definitely impacts the flow. Occasionally there are side missions that emulate the first game and they're good, but didn't enjoy it overall.

🤪

Advertisement