Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Tax, Insurance, NCT

Options
  • 26-10-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

NO! Before you all kill me, read it! currently trying to sort out one of my old cars for my sister (Punto Sporting), since its been off the road for the last six months (engine fell out). Was DJ'ing in Kilkenny last night, and parked in the usual place (a public lane behind the bar). now, since ive only recently gotten it back on the road, the tax and NCT are well out. tax since 05-08, and the nct since 06-08. insurance disc says 08-08 from my last policy, BUT i'm on a temporary transfer from my old car til my new car is ready.

finished djing. came outside. Drivers side mirror was smashed off, and this may have caught the attention of passing foot patrols, because there was an "an garda siochana" letter on the windscreen "offence detected". on the back it said "no tax. no insurance displayed."

now, i hold my hand up about the tax and nct. the car was fully serviced on thursday and ive a list of stuff the garage are doing to it to get it through the NCT. i also have the RF100A form to get the car declared off the road to end of last month. going down to the garda station after work. What is likely to happen, since i dont actualy have proof of insurance, only the policy number? im hoping the guard will be lenient about the tax and nct, since i do have proof the car is being sorted out, but have no problem if he does decide to do me. about the insurance though, even if he checks and finds i am insured, i can still be done for non-display of insurance? is this a summons offence or points or what? what is the position on temporary transfers, does that still count as "non-display", since you cant really get a disc for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From what I understand, you got a ticket. Just pay it and forget about it, end of story.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Anan1 wrote: »
    From what I understand, you got a ticket. Just pay it and forget about it, end of story.:)

+1

You broke the law

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

'Non display' is a different offence to driving uninsured - I think it's just a fine.
    Ring the insurance company and get them to fax you a letter saying you were / are covered for the time in question. They also have to give you a disc - even for a temp transfer, they may require you to return the old one first though.
    If you explain nicely to the guard and show the document, he *might* let you off this one but it'd be totally up to him.

Don't think there's anything you can do about the tax - you should've sorted that before putting it back in the road, at least then it would've shown that you were making an effort to be compliant rather than having nothing at all valid on the windscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

yeah im hoping itll just be a fine. i knew i was taking a risk, but it was only gonna be a few days (was supposed to collect my new car yesterday but it wasnt ready), and i got caught out before getting it sorted. ah well. i just hope the guard is feeling lenient, but at the end of the day, if he isn't, its my own fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

C'mon lads everyone up on them.

• Advertisement

ottostreet wrote: »
    yeah im hoping itll just be a fine. i knew i was taking a risk, but it was only gonna be a few days (was supposed to collect my new car yesterday but it wasnt ready), and i got caught out before getting it sorted. ah well. i just hope the guard is feeling lenient, but at the end of the day, if he isn't, its my own fault!
    Don't worry, I don't think there's any question of a court case unless you don't pay the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the cop did not have his hat on at the time any tickets that were issued they are null and void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

jackncoke wrote: »
    +1

You broke the law

The hang 'em high brigade are out today.
    If the cop did not have his hat on at the time any tickets that were issued they are null and void.

Roffle! :D I think not.

An aside, I have yet to have an insurance company issue a cert let alone a disc for a temp transfer. I don't think they ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Bond-007 wrote: »

Yes,because i forgot that it is perfectly acceptable for a car with no tax or nct to be on the road. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jackncoke wrote: »
    Yes,because it is perfectly acceptable for a car with no tax or nct to be on the road. :rolleyes:

Well now, there's many many situations where this could happen..

and what's 'acceptable' isn't the same for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

ottostreet wrote: »
    NO! Before you all kill me, read it! currently trying to sort out one of my old cars for my sister (Punto Sporting), since its been off the road for the last six months (engine fell out). Was DJ'ing in Kilkenny last night, and parked in the usual place (a public lane behind the bar). now, since ive only recently gotten it back on the road, the tax and NCT are well out. tax since 05-08, and the nct since 06-08. insurance disc says 08-08 from my last policy, BUT i'm on a temporary transfer from my old car til my new car is ready.

finished djing. came outside. Drivers side mirror was smashed off, and this may have caught the attention of passing foot patrols, because there was an "an garda siochana" letter on the windscreen "offence detected". on the back it said "no tax. no insurance displayed."

now, i hold my hand up about the tax and nct. the car was fully serviced on thursday and ive a list of stuff the garage are doing to it to get it through the NCT. i also have the RF100A form to get the car declared off the road to end of last month. going down to the garda station after work. What is likely to happen, since i dont actualy have proof of insurance, only the policy number? im hoping the guard will be lenient about the tax and nct, since i do have proof the car is being sorted out, but have no problem if he does decide to do me. about the insurance though, even if he checks and finds i am insured, i can still be done for non-display of insurance? is this a summons offence or points or what? what is the position on temporary transfers, does that still count as "non-display", since you cant really get a disc for that?

What next? You'll be telling us you often go 1km or more over the speed limit :eek::rolleyes: ....Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

the insurance does not have to be displayed until the car has been insured for 10 days. If you had a temporary transfer then you would have 10 days to wait for a disc. A letter from the insurance confirming that they were on risk from a day within the previous 10 of the ticket being put on the car would be sufficient to ward off a conviction on that score. The guard did not actually ask you to produce insurance so you will not be convicted of no insurance unless a demand is made on you when you go to the station and you are unable to produce within 10 days.
    You are caught on the non display of tax however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jo King wrote: »
    the insurance does not have to be displayed until the car has been insured for 10 days.
    I thought that only applied at the commencement of a policy. Not sure if it applies in a transfer situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Indeed it does. With most temp transfers being under 10 days they won't bother issuing a cert/disc.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    ?? Read first, then type. I was reassuring the OP that he wasn't going to get 'done' for anything, that it was just a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Shoot 'em in the face.

Advertisement