Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New BIK calculations

• 26-10-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any details have been announced?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Damien360

Nothing on the revenue site yet. This is due to change in the new year to a CO2 based system. I would'nt be too hopeful on any savings though. Government just pulled back on medical cards for old people and need to find a lot of money. Safe bet that the car owner will get hit for this and they will call it an environmental tax on the rich.

Bet you feel rich when you drive a 125bhp diesel Mondeo and your ass hurts from doing 30,000 miles a year !

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭corkandproud

I wonder with the CO2 apply to pre July08 cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you want an idea of how it's going to work, have a look at the UK BIK regime - I'd expect that the Revenue/Gov't will base any new system for us on their system.

I'd expect it to apply to all cars, no matter when they were registered or produced.
    If you look at the current system, you get BIK'd on the OMSP of the car no matter how old the car is. If you drive a 10 year old car worth €5k that cost €100k new, you're BIK'd on €100k. They're not afraid to paint with broad strokes...

You may see an increase on the BIK payable by "perk" drivers, but this is a pro-business government and so they're not going to implement a change that makes it harder for businesses to do business.
    They probably won't want to overtax people who need the car for their work (sales reps etc.). I'd base this assumption on the fact that drivers who drive vans or who do big annual mileage pay significantly less BIK than perk drivers under the current system.

Advertisement