Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woodgate - The Myth

• 26-10-2008 5:40pm

I dont want to annoy anybody, I just dont understand why people rate Woodgate. I want to know why people think he a GREAT defender. (other than he just is).

All I hear is Woodgate a great player, but never really back it up. When they do its with a stupid reason eg First game back for Real Madrid he scored an own goal and got sent off and Beckhan said he was the man of the match confused.gif How?

Also looking at Wiki theres a quote 'his finest moment in a Newcastle shirt arguably came in the 2003-2004 UEFA Cup Semi-Final match against Olympique de Marseille at St James' Park where he marked Didier Drogba out of the game- though Marseille did win 0-2' The team lost.

Last year he foul Ronaldo to give a pen away (this time it was a foul, not a dive).

Every time I see him play, hes nothing but an average defender. He should not even be 6 choice for England.

His stats dont add up to him being a good defender, never mind a great defender.

In 'The Sun' dream team most of the Bolton players have a better score than Woodgate.

The question I am asking is why do people rate him? This must be one of the biggest mysteries of the football.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hey if I played beside Titus Bramble everyone would think I was the best defender going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

All I hear is Woodgate a great player, but never really back it up. When they do its with a stupid reason eg First game back for Real Madrid he scored an own goal and got sent off and Beckhan said he was the man of the match confused.gif How?

Ask becham maybe? How are we supposed to know why he said that?
    Also looking at Wiki theres a quote 'his finest moment in a Newcastle shirt arguably came in the 2003-2004 UEFA Cup Semi-Final match against Olympique de Marseille at St James' Park where he marked Didier Drogba out of the game- though Marseille did win 0-2' The team lost.

SO? I wouldnt hugely trust wiki, but you do realise players can have a great even if there team loses?
    Last year he foul Ronaldo to give a pen away (this time it was a foul, not a dive).

Name a world class defender who hasnt given away a pentalty?:confused:

His stats dont add up to him being a good defender, never mind a great defender.

In 'The Sun' dream team most of the Bolton players have a better score than Woodgate.

So your basing your opinion on the rating the S*n paper gives him? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He is good, but he's one of those players that nobody will say anything about him playing bad.

He was very good with Newcastle but he was a disaster with Middlesboro towards the end there...how much did he cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The question I am asking is why do people rate him? This must be one of the biggest mysteries of the football.

Because he is English and like most English players he is grossly overrated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

He was outstanding when he first came on the scene at Leeds. He had great positional awareness, was a good header and could tackle well, and all this when he was only 19/20. That's where he initially built his reputation, but the trial really affected his form and he never really recovered from it. He played well at Newcastle for a while, but then he picked up a series of injuries, which has been a feature of his career ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Because he is English and like most English players he is grossly overrated.

I don't agree with your statement, think Woodgate has been very unlucky with injuries and if he can stay fit may well win back his international place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In the squad or in the starting 11?

He's better than Lescott and Upson so should be in the team all ready.

Lescott is a disaster but in fairness is versatile, and Upson is often jeered by West Ham fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

In the squad or in the starting 11?

He's better than Lescott and Upson so should be in the team all ready.

Lescott is a disaster but in fairness is versatile, and Upson is often jeered by West Ham fans.

In the squad at least, I think Rio and Terry will be first choice, Lescott had a great season but it appears he has not been at his best this season, have not seen Everton that much though, you make a good point about his versatility which Fabio appears to like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I quite rate Woodgate, think he's a very good CB with a great head for the game. He reads the game very well and if you watch him when the ball is moved out wide into the channels or is being played around the edge of the box his positioning is top class.

After the injuries he's had I'd like to see him back in the England team as 3rd choice CB if he can stay injury free and have a good season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He can turn out a great performance once in a while. I don't think he's consistent enough to be classed among the Premiership's best.

• Advertisement

Now he's not in the Tottenham squad. Just thought I'd bump this, theres seriously doubts for his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Now he's not in the Tottenham squad. Just thought I'd bump this, theres seriously doubts for his career.

You bastard, I thought Estie was back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Thats exactly what I thought :mad:

Okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Moyes will probably sign him for nothing now in january.
    wakka wakka..! :);):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Moyes will probably sign him for nothing now in january.
    wakka wakka..! :);):)

For Villa :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

He was and possible still could be a great defender. Injuries have hindered the careers of a lot of players that could have gone on to be considered great. Darren Anderton (aka sick note) and Kieran Dyer to name two.

Woodgates injuries are why he has failed to reach the heights he should have and with a little luck he would have played plenty of more games at the highest level and won plenty more caps than he has. As far as I remember he mad his england debut at the age of 18 or 19 and played brilliantly in that game and was outstanding at Leeds for a good few seasons.

Its too easy to pick out a match here and there say hey look see he didnt play well there or his team lost that one. We can all pick out bad games of any of the great players we watch.

So to finish, in my opinion, no He was never overrated just unlucky.

Iv never understood when players who have had bad injuries in their careers suddenly have there quality questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You bastard, I thought Estie was back :(

So did i :(

Advertisement