Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres with cracking along outer groves

Options
  • 26-10-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

I have a car that is about 18 months old with 26K KM on it. I was checking the tyres today and I noticed that there were cracks in the tyre along the 2 outer groves on each wheel, like the rubber is perished. The centre 2 grovrs are normal. The tyres are dunlop sp270's

Should they go like this, are they dangerous, and should I be able to get them replaced the car has a 3 year warranty (Lexus).

Any advice on how to approach the dealer on this would be welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not meaning to be smart, but are you quite sure it's not the tread pattern? If you're doubtful, maybe post a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tried to take a pic, but it did not come out very clear. The center 2 groves are smooth, the groves I am concerned about look like they have a irregular crack all the way around. Like the rubber is stressed in some way.

Probably the easiest way to tell is to compare all four tyres. If the crack is the same on all four then it's supposed to be there, if it differs from tyre to tyre then it may be a problem.

Hi Pic uploaded, sorry not very clear.

That looks like a normal tread pattern to me. Have a look at the other three tyres, i'm sure you'll find exactly the same 'cracks' in exactly the same places on them too.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think I know what the dingding is talking about, these are tiny hairline cracks I think he means, not the actual tyre tread! The tyres on my car have some of this too, I think it's common enough on cars that do relatively low miles. I'm not sure its anything to worry about though, I pointed it out to a tyre fitter before and he said it was fine.

Found this pic, mine is nothing as bad as this, but you get the idea:

IMGP2004-1.jpg

Ah, ok, i'm with you now!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Ah, ok, i'm with you now!

Yes, looks like some sort of failure of the tyre. Mine would be worse than this as the cracks would have joined up and there would be a continuous crack along the tyre. The car would not be 18 months old yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Are they Dunlop Tyres by any chance ?

I had similar cracks appears very early on a Golf V GTI,I was told it was OK.

I looked at similar tyres on other cars and they seemed to be the same.
    Never had a problem in the two years I had it,but only did about 19,000 Km

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

dingding wrote: »

Should they go like this, are they dangerous, and should I be able to get them replaced the car has a 3 year warranty (Lexus).

Any advice on how to approach the dealer on this would be welcomed

Tyres wear out, they are consumables. You'd be as likely to get the dealer to replace the petrol when you run out! The warranty is on the car, not the oil, tyres, water, petrol, brake pads, discs, and so on, unless there is an actual flaw in the tyres (e.g., Firestone tyres episode from a few years ago).

If any tyres are cracked they should be replaced.

• Advertisement

Yes they are Dunlop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If they are as bad as JoeA3's pic then I'd go back to the dealer and get their opinion on it - I've seen cracking on 3 or 4 year old tyres as they reach end of life but 18 months seems a bit early for this to happen.

I am about 140 miles from the dealer I get the car in. I will get it checked next time I am in Dublin.

I know tyres are consumable but there is a load of thread on it yet.

And they are not 18 months old yet. The car they are on would be a high powered car 270 BHP and it should be spec'd with tyres capable of that sort of power and performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I doubt it's anything to do with power *show off :p*.

This usually only happens to old tyres.

Is there a decent tyre or Lexus dealer near you that you could get a more qualified opinion from?

The point about the power was that surely the car would need all the grip on the road and the tyres would have been speced to handle the forces associated with the power and stopping distance etc...

I will bring the car to a dealer tomorrow for a opinion. Any advice on how to proceed welcomed.

I would feel that if the dealer feels that it is OK. It would not be unreasonable for him to state in writing that the safety of the car is not affected by the "damaged" tyres. And that this letter would indemnify me should the car be involved in an incident which were caused by this tyre defect.

Thanks

I will bring the car to a dealer tomorrow for a opinion. Any advice on how to proceed welcomed.
    Bear in mind that it's not the dealer you bought from and they can't speak on behalf of Lexus. They can only give their opinion as professionals and as such would probably tend to err on the side of caution and say they need to be replaced. If he does say they're defective, get hime to give it to you in writing with the date and milage recorded - this could help you build a warranty case.

As the tyres are so low in milage, you could try the warranty / defect route but don't don't get confrontational with the dealer - he's under no obligation to do anything for you.
    I would feel that if the dealer feels that it is OK. It would not be unreasonable for him to state in writing that the safety of the car is not affected by the "damaged" tyres. And that this letter would indemnify me should the car be involved in an incident which were caused by this tyre defect.
    I would say you've absolutely no chance of getting such a letter. Again, the only one responsible would be either Lexus themselves or the place you bought it from.
    There's no harm in asking though, all they can do is say no.

Thanks steve,

Good advice about the letter stating mileage and date.

The only reason I was looking for the second letter was to prevent them saying it was alright and that it was perfectly normal.

Had a previous case in the 90's with a vectra where there was a problem with the seat belt catch. The apprentice had a go at it with a phase tester and when I asked the service manager if he as happy that the repair just carried out would hold me in the event of a collision, a new part was ordered and fitted.

Would any lexus dealer not be able to deal with this situation as all the warranty is good country wide. i think in cases like this the original dealer that I purchased it from would have the liability and not lexus.

I won't get confrontational and I will see what they have to say.

Would any lexus dealer not be able to deal with this situation as all the warranty is good country wide. i think in cases like this the original dealer that I purchased it from would have the liability and not lexus.
    The dealer should look after you, and Lexus Ireland would then reimburse them.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The dealer should look after you, and Lexus Ireland would then reimburse them.
    Normally, yes, if it were a straightforward warranty issue. Tyres are excluded from warranties as 'wear items' and so I think the dealer will be apprehensive about replacing them straight off without going to Lexus first.

The issue is whether the tyres should be reasonably be expected to last as long as they did before showing signs of ageing (if that's what it is) or whether there was a defect in them to begin with.

Advertisement