Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia n95, gps problem

• 26-10-2008 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

hi all

bought a new n 95
    great phone.

cannot get the gps working on it.

just keeps searching on the yellow lights.

any one else experience this??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes its a common problem with the original. Need to be outside and have it pointing up and can take several minutes to lock on. Try updating the firmware and the maps from nokia.ie. I found that it helped, normally get a lock in under 30 seconds.

You can also try; options; to view a list of satellites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I also have an n95 and since about August my seek time has really increased a lot. I am running the latest firmware and maps so I wonder if something else has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭coolio_64

cheers guys:D

can i ask what is the latest firmware?

is it true that i will be charged for using the gps for nokia maps??

coolio_64 wrote: »
    cheers guys:D

can i ask what is the latest firmware?

is it true that i will be charged for using the gps for nokia maps??

When you connect the update program it will tell you if you can update the firmware. It can depend on the product code of the phone.

Their is a small charge, the new maps has a counter in KB. You can opt not to connect though.

where can i get this update program??

but what if i have the new maps installed is there still a charge for using this. i thought the sat nav would work the same way as a normal sat nav and that there would be no charge!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

i get a lock in about 30 seconds with AGPS network assist turned on...

where can i get this update program??

Update HERE
    Before updating the firmware you should do a 'backup' of the phone. You need Nokia PC suite which you can download HERE.

After that do the firmware update, roughly takes 20mins in total. Then update the maps application. A program is part of the PC suite download, called PC Maploader. I think Maps 2.0 is the most current.

but what if i have the new maps installed is there still a charge for using this. i thought the sat nav would work the same way as a normal sat nav and that there would be no charge!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS It uses assited gps, this link will give you an idea.
    You can set the phone to not use data, so wont cost you anything.

cheers:D

cannot get gps working on my phone:mad:

firmware(20.0.016) is up to the latest for the product code i have.

when i go into gps data and get my current location all i get is searching,

what can i do to rectify this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

it has known to take up to an hour or more some times to get a fix on a sat, try leaving it searching with a clear line of sight to the sky, at a window or outside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    it has known to take up to an hour or more some times to get a fix on a sat, try leaving it searching with a clear line of sight to the sky, at a window or outside

and with the slider open - the gps receiver is beneath the keypad

Advertisement