Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gcc, getting it working

Options
  • 26-10-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi, im completely new to programming and im working off an intel mac, with tiger 10.4.

i got advice from the net that gcc is the compiler to use. i have never had to build software before and im really lost.

most of the stuff on the gcc site (with regards to installing) makes little or no sense to me at the moment.

is there anyone with experience with getting this program running and how to build it? i would really appreciate the help, or at least a point in the right direction.

ive also heard that xcode is a good one to use, but i dont have my mac dvd as ive moved house and lost or misplaced it. and can only find the new version for lepoard 10.5 online.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Easier just to download Dev C++ - this comes with MinGW (Minimum GNU Windows i think) which includes the GCC compiler. The GCC compiler is mainly used on *NIX platforms, that is probably why you are having problems understanding documentation etc.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dev-cpp/devcpp-4.9.9.2_setup.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

is that not for windows though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

oops apologies - never read that i'm using a Mac part :( - I have no experience what so ever on this though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

odinreln wrote: »
    is that not for windows though?

Yep, and it's no longer being updated and isn't recommended if you are using Windows :)

I honestly don't know how to answer your question though - i'm a visual studio and windows guy. A pretty well recommended free windows IDE is code::blocks and it's possible to get a package for that which comes with gcc(mingw) on windows.

You could have a look at the OSX code::blocks package.. http://www.codeblocks.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I messed with XCode for C apps. Wasn't great to be honest! Had a job trying to find the output in a terminal.

gcc is installed on this Leopard machine. Not sure if XCode installed it or if it was one it anyway.

Eclipse can act as an IDE for C/C++ although it's primarily focussed on Java.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

i still cant seem to get it working. but i have managed to find an older version of the xcode program. apart from a few messy bits in it, ive got it running the example c++ program i was working with.

ill try working with xcode and see what i think. ive read that xcode itself can build gcc for me, but ill leave it for now untill i know what im doing with it.

thanks for the help.

O

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm on the bus atm but i will reply when i get home on how i got this working on my intel mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

followed the instructions on here

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/726/mac-os-x-install-gcc-compiler/

the connect.apple.com site requires you to create an account but it's free. it's a bit of a hefty download for just gcc and i'm sure there must be an easier way of getting it running but i know this one works.

i can compile easily in a terminal window using the gcc command.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

gcc is installed on your mac once you install the developer tools. You can either download XCode from apple or install it off your Tiger disk. Once XCode is installed, the plain GCC will be accessible in the terminal prompt.

Once you've got going, try another look at XCode. I use both it and Visual Studio a lot for C and Fortran and I have to say I love both.

Advertisement