Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attitude Era Nostalgia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

rovert wrote: »
    No

Elaborate...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Elaborate...

[Elaboration]The rest of the card not just the 10 man tag.[/Elaboration]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

A bit off topic but what do people think of summerslam 97? Its always been one of my favourite ppvs. Good opener between hhh and mankind, I thought the austin vs owen match was very good (up untill the injury) and a great main event aswell. All this comeing on the heels of Canadian stampede the month before. Ive always said that the summer of 97 is probably my favourite time in wwf/wwe history.

Nah, it's not a great PPV in my opinion. The cage match was ok, Foley himself has written that he thinks he's not very good at cage matches. The Austin match was ok. Other than that I think you'd be hard pressed to remember the rest of the card without looking it up. I remember it but only becuase I remember nearly everything wwf related from about 1997-2000. The LOD/Godwins match was lousy and boring, Shamrock/Bulldog was silly, the sight of Smith's face actually turning blue at the end was worrying. Goldust/Pillman was so so.
    I think the fact the ONO match was more "unseen" that the Summerslam match was Bret's reasoning for the selection.

Hate to mention him but that event shows that WWF would have been equally as successful without Kane as with him.

What has Kane got to do with it :confused:
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

[Elaboration]The rest of the card not just the 10 man tag.[/Elaboration]

What, the 3 other throwaway matches? Please! :)

What, the 3 other throwaway matches? Please! :)

I could strangle you.

The best PPV they came up with that year. 1997 was a big transition year for WWE as they were still building new stars. Rock, Austin, HHH and Mankind were all in the midst of getting midcard pushes that year, while Bret was on his way out, as was Shawn (he just didn't know it yet). So given that it was a slow build to what would be a spectacular 1998. PPVs weren't given high expectations at all. On top of that, WCW was handing Vince his ass.

So Summerslam 97 is definitely the rabbit pulled out of the hat. Canadian Stampede is close, but realistically, that's a one match card.

Mankind had already had a few main event matches under his belt, he wasn't getting a push at all. He was being used to help HHH along. In fact, the Summerslam cage match was the first one on. I suspect that was due to the logistics of setting the cage up . Rock didn't get a push until after the INY at the end of the year when he was given the Ic belt.

Summerslam was a very weak card. Canadian Stampede was one of the WWf's strongest cards ever!! A brilliant match between HHH and Mankind, Taka Michinoku and The Great Sasuke had their first ever light heavyweight PPV and it was a blinder and even Taker and Vader had a quality match.

I could strangle you.

Looks like i pissed all over roverts fave 97 PPV and some of it ended up in his cornflakes.

The Godwinns and the new Blackjacks was forgettable
    The HHH/Mankind was the worst out of all the matches they had.
    Undertaker v Vader stunk up the place

Ok, so i forgot about Taka/Sasuke, it's a 2 match card.

Mankind had already had a few main event matches under his belt, he wasn't getting a push at all. He was being used to help HHH along. In fact, the Summerslam cage match was the first one on. I suspect that was due to the logistics of setting the cage up . Rock didn't get a push until after the INY at the end of the year when he was given the Ic belt.

Summerslam was a very weak card. Canadian Stampede was one of the WWf's strongest cards ever!! A brilliant match between HHH and Mankind, Taka Michinoku and The Great Sasuke had their first ever light heavyweight PPV and it was a blinder and even Taker and Vader had a quality match.

The point still stands that they were being groomed to be the next stop stars, hence why i said that 1997 was a transitional year for the company. So there were very few main event capable stars that year, but that didn't stop WWE from ramming Vader, who for all intents and purposes was a shell of his former self by the time he made it to WWE the year earlier.

I still maintain the HHH/Mankind was the weakest of all the matches they had together. Not to say it was a bad match, it wasn't, but it was forgettable. However Foley taking the dive off the top of the cage to HHH wasn't.

Looks like i pissed all over roverts fave 97 PPV and some of it ended up in his cornflakes.

The Godwinns and the new Blackjacks was forgettable
    The HHH/Mankind was the worst out of all the matches they had.
    Undertaker v Vader stunk up the place

Ok, so i forgot about Taka/Sasuke, it's a 2 match card.

1) Godwins match was in the free for all
    2) I disagree, it was probably their best match of that year.
    3) I disagree again, one of Vader's few decent WWF matches.

The final 4 match was brilliant and maybe the 2nd or third best main event of the WWF that year. That would've been a great addition to the Hart dvd.

• Advertisement

1) Godwins match was in the free for all

I don't care! Without that match the whole PPV lasted a total of 1hr 45 minutes! Hence why i included it.
    2) I disagree, it was probably their best match of that year.
    3) I disagree again, one of Vader's few decent WWF matches.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just never saw either matches as much of a big deal.
    The final 4 match was brilliant and maybe the 2nd or third best main event of the WWF that year. That would've been a great addition to the Hart dvd.

I never understood why it wasn't added on it. Although given the fact that Hawk, Owen, Pillman and Bulldog are now deceased, it can make a painful watch.

The point still stands that they were being groomed to be the next stop stars, hence why i said that 1997 was a transitional year for the company. So there were very few main event capable stars that year, but that didn't stop WWE from ramming Vader, who for all intents and purposes was a shell of his former self by the time he made it to WWE the year earlier.

I still maintain the HHH/Mankind was the weakest of all the matches they had together. Not to say it was a bad match, it wasn't, but it was forgettable. However Foley taking the dive off the top of the cage to HHH wasn't.

I don't think that 1997 was transitional in the way that you are talking. In 1997 the WWF were all over the gaff, storylines and main events that were panned were blown. There was the Wrestlemania card which wasn't set until 3weeks before, or was it 2 ? Then there was King of the Ring, that was a bit messy. SummerSlam didn't show very much direction. Just look at In Your House 19, one of the worst PPVs ever broadcast!! 8Matches with half of them dq/count out finishes.

I don't think that 1997 was transitional in the way that you are talking. In 1997 the WWF were all over the gaff, storylines and main events that were panned were blown. There was the Wrestlemania card which wasn't set until 3weeks before, or was it 2 ? Then there was King of the Ring, that was a bit messy. SummerSlam didn't show very much direction. Just look at In Your House 19, one of the worst PPVs ever broadcast!! 8Matches with half of them dq/count out finishes.

Exactly! They had precious little to work with. It was very much a feeling out process when it came to building their newer talent, something they pretty much had nailed by the time Wrestlemania 14 came along.

I'd call that a transition period!
    And if you think 97 was all over the gaff? You should go back to 93-95, which were way worse!

Exactly! They had precious little to work with. It was very much a feeling out process when it came to building their newer talent, something they pretty much had nailed by the time Wrestlemania 14 came along.

I'd call that a transition period!
    And if you think 97 was all over the gaff? You should go back to 93-95, which were way worse!

Oh yeah, the Wrestlemania 9 Hulk Hogan incident was atrocious!! As was pushing Lex Luger, as was the ham fisted way they put the strap on Diesel and then the ****e matches they pushed Diesel with. The RR 95 match with Hart was good as was the SSeries no DQ match. The Sid fued was dreadful.

the ham fisted way they put the strap on Diesel and then the ****e matches they pushed Diesel with. The RR 95 match with Hart was good as was the SSeries no DQ match. The Sid fued was dreadful.

I was excited at the time when Nash got the belt, however he'd end up taking the company into a financial nose dive. I still think he has the record for being the lowest drawing champion in WWE history, with two of the lowest buyrates in In Your House 3 and 4. The Survivor Series match was awesome, and i used to love the Rumble match, but looking back, that was a Bret v Bret match too.

I was excited at the time when Nash got the belt, however he'd end up taking the company into a financial nose dive. I still think he has the record for being the lowest drawing champion in WWE history, with two of the lowest buyrates in In Your House 3 and 4. The Survivor Series match was awesome, and i used to love the Rumble match, but looking back, that was a Bret v Bret match too.

Hah, Bret carried many a big man during those main event matches! Sid, Diesel, Taker, Yoko. I've not really watched much wrestling at all in years but are there any guys working matches with bigger wrestlers the way Hart used to ? That figure 4 leg lock on the ring post was a great looking move. I loved that bit at Summerslam 97 when Michaels was counting him and Hart pointed and shouted "Don't you dare". As I said, great drama :p:D

Yes , someone was a big mark during 1997 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes , someone was a big mark during 1997 :rolleyes:

I've always said that where one company fell down in 1997, the other one shined. With WWE, their TV was awesome, but their PPV's were less than spectacular. While WCW's PPVs appeared to do a lot better, but Nitro spent a lot of that year slipping rapidly.

I never saw any WCW in 97 or even after that. The only WCW I saw was in the summer of 1996 when my television somehow tuned in Bravo/Tnt. I didn't even have Sky Sports during 97, the odd friday night I'd get me grandad to tape Raw and also I'd try to tackle his wonky video recorder so that I could program it to record at the right time and hope that he'd leave on the sky sports channel on his decoder!

The first time I saw an ECW show was in 2002 when I paid about 36 euros for Barely Legal from HMV.

I never saw any WCW in 97 or even after that. The only WCW I saw was in the summer of 1996 when my television somehow tuned in Bravo/Tnt. I didn't even have Sky Sports during 97, the odd friday night I'd get me grandad to tape Raw and also I'd try to tackle his wonky video recorder so that I could program it to record at the right time and hope that he'd leave on the sky sports channel on his decoder!

You didn't miss much, their better year was 1996 (WCW's that is)
    The first time I saw an ECW show was in 2002 when I paid about 36 euros for Barely Legal from HMV.

Bet you feel ripped off as it was thrown in free with One Night Stand 2006! :D

Was it ? Ah.., I picked up a load of them very cheap from Templecom a year later. That first Delta Music dvd was cut though and very badly at that. There's about 30 seconds cut from the Funk/Raven match.

Was it ? Ah.., I picked up a load of them very cheap from Templecom a year later. That first Delta Music dvd was cut though and very badly at that. There's about 30 seconds cut from the Funk/Raven match.

Thats nothing! Coliseum Video were the worst for that. For the 1987 Survivor Series (and it's still there on the tagged classics release), they made a major botch job clipping where you don't see the Islanders Eliminating the British Bulldogs, the team just vanish with no explanation!

Wrestlemania 2 was clipped to 2 hours from 3
    Wrestlemania III was clipped to 2hrs 40 from 3hrs 10
    Wrestlemania V was clipped to 2hrs 40 from 3hrs 25!

This would be a trend that would continue until Wrestlemania IX when they'd finally stop going overboard with the clipping!

This also played a big part as to why i didn't buy the tagged classics of the big four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Not having Sky at the time I don't know the whole story but from videos on YouTube and other bits WCW in 1997 seemed poor. There seemed to be a million No.1 contender matches for the World & Tag-Team titles. Every Nitro ended the same way and the whole thing seemed to be waiting for the eventual Hogan-Sting match which they made a balls of. The nWo storyline was great from the first appearance of Scott Hall until the Sting walkout in the WarGames match at Fall Brawl. I used to wonder why the Back in Black DVD ignored 1997 but I can see now.

The WWF though was pretty strong. There were some obvious classics (Hart-Austin WM13, The Hell in a Cell Match, Taka-Sauske), underrated ones (Austin/Michaels-Owen/Bulldog, Final Four), the story lines (Hart Foundation v Austin) were strong and there was a real feeling of change with Austin & DX emerging and Mick Foley developing his own personality. Along with the interesting backstage stuff and it was one of their best years much better than the brutal 1993 & 1995.

Thats nothing! Coliseum Video were the worst for that. For the 1987 Survivor Series (and it's still there on the tagged classics release), they made a major botch job clipping where you don't see the Islanders Eliminating the British Bulldogs, the team just vanish with no explanation!

Wrestlemania 2 was clipped to 2 hours from 3
    Wrestlemania III was clipped to 2hrs 40 from 3hrs 10
    Wrestlemania V was clipped to 2hrs 40 from 3hrs 25!

This would be a trend that would continue until Wrestlemania IX when they'd finally stop going overboard with the clipping!

This also played a big part as to why i didn't buy the tagged classics of the big four.

Were these edits the same even on the WM Legacy box set ? I had it and sold it without even watching them....

The worst edits I thought were from early 98. Around the time that Tyson was involved. Royal Rumble I think was cut a little bit, No Way Out had a few cuts to remove Headbanger Trasher who was busted open after a botched spot on the ring steps and the Over the Edge match between Dude Love and Austin was totally butchered!!

I don't care! Without that match the whole PPV lasted a total of 1hr 45 minutes! Hence why i included it.

Well that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just never saw either matches as much of a big deal.

I never understood why it wasn't added on it. Although given the fact that Hawk, Owen, Pillman and Bulldog are now deceased, it can make a painful watch.

Sorry, I meant the Final Four match from In Your House 13 - Hart vs Taker vs Austin vs Vader

Not having Sky at the time I don't know the whole story but from videos on YouTube and other bits WCW in 1997 seemed poor. There seemed to be a million No.1 contender matches for the World & Tag-Team titles. Every Nitro ended the same way and the whole thing seemed to be waiting for the eventual Hogan-Sting match which they made a balls of. The nWo storyline was great from the first appearance of Scott Hall until the Sting walkout in the WarGames match at Fall Brawl. I used to wonder why the Back in Black DVD ignored 1997 but I can see now.

Ive always been a bigger fan of 97 WCW then 96. I just think in 96 because of all the debuts with the influx of the mexican wrestlers and jericho etc that the guys didn't really have any personality while in 97 they really started to come into there own and develop there characters. I agree that the main event got very stale but I thought the undercard was great.

WCW and the word "develop" in the one sentence ? :D lol

Were these edits the same even on the WM Legacy box set ? I had it and sold it without even watching them....

The worst edits I thought were from early 98. Around the time that Tyson was involved. Royal Rumble I think was cut a little bit, No Way Out had a few cuts to remove Headbanger Trasher who was busted open after a botched spot on the ring steps and the Over the Edge match between Dude Love and Austin was totally butchered!!

The Dude love Austin match in particular. The two of them are fighting down the entrance way and then the camera cuts to the crowd and all of a sudden there back in the ring. I don't know why they didn't just give it a 15's rating because it was good main event live but terrible on the home video release because of all thats cut out of it.

WCW and the word "develop" in the one sentence ? :D lol

OK maybe that was the wrong word. But for example Jericho was so bland in 96 but once he turned into the heel Jericho who would have tantrums he was brilliant.

The Dude love Austin match in particular. The two of them are fighting down the entrance way and then the camera cuts to the crowd and all of a sudden there back in the ring. I don't know why they didn't just give it a 15's rating because it was good main event live but terrible on the home video release because of all thats cut out of it.

I dont know either, but I do know that after Royal Rumble 99 every tape they released had at least a 15 cert regardless of the content or maybe becuase of it, chair shots becoming the norm I suppose.....

I think I heard that Wrestlemania 16 wasn't granted an Irish cert because the Rock rock bottoms Stephanie at the end :confused:

On the subject of censoring chair shots, I see they still use those awful cut aways during chair shots on the Sky 1 broadcasts!! I remember a few yrs ago they adopted just freezing the frame which wasn't too bad.

The WM Legacy box set, both editions were all coliseum edits too. I got a loan of the Wrestlemania V ages ago to see Owen/Hennig in it's entirety (it went on for about 5 mins but was cut to about 2 minutes), only to find it was butchered.

Sorry, I meant the Final Four match from In Your House 13 - Hart vs Taker vs Austin vs Vader

That was an awesome match. Took me a year at the time to track that down on VHS in 2004. :D

• Advertisement

That was an awesome match. Took me a year at the time to track that down on VHS in 2004. :D

I remember buying it in Easons in the square summer 1998 for about £15. That was the last IYH PPV not broadcast in the UK and Eire. Revenge of the Taker was the first. Final Four had a rubbish undercard, cracking main event though even Vader not being able to do the sharpshooter!

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/vader_fails_with_sharpshooter.html

That was the last IYH PPV not broadcast in the UK and Eire. Revenge of the Taker was the first.

That's not true at all! Unless you're talking about being broadcasted live as Sky stopped for a brief period, and they were repeated on Sports 2 about a day or 2 later

But they were still broadcasted none the less.

The first 13 In Your Houses weren't shown on Sky Sports or am I wrong :confused: I thought that number 14 revenge of the taker was the first ?

The first 13 In Your Houses weren't shown on Sky Sports or am I wrong :confused: I thought that number 14 revenge of the taker was the first ?

Definitely not, i saw a good few of them! I even have a few of them taped from Sky! They were shown on Sports 2 i think, as Sports 2 came out in the beginning of 1995. It was extra to subscribe to it i think.

Definitely not, i saw a good few of them! I even have a few of them taped from Sky! They were shown on Sports 2 i think, as Sports 2 came out in the beginning of 1995. It was extra to subscribe to it i think.

Are you sure ? I'm nearly 100% certain because i remember being pissed off at not being able to see the In Your Houses and not knowing the results until the following weekend. In Your House 1-12 weren't shown on Sky Sports and I'm damn sure of it, they showed some matches from In Your Houes 5 during Xmas and then they did the same the following year with In Your House 12 It's Time.

Are you sure ? I'm nearly 100% certain because i remember being pissed off at not being able to see the In Your Houses and not knowing the results until the following weekend. In Your House 1-12 weren't shown on Sky Sports and I'm damn sure of it, they showed some matches from In Your Houes 5 during Xmas and then they did the same the following year with In Your House 12 It's Time.

Definitely, i know for a fact i had IYH 2, 3, 7 and 8 from Sky Sports 2.

Definitely, i know for a fact i had IYH 2, 3, 7 and 8 from Sky Sports 2.

I'm going to have to agree to disagree :confused:

I'm going to have to agree to disagree :confused:

Feel free, but i've no reason to make it up either... think about that.

Haha, well it'd be a pretty silly thing to make up, maybe you're mistaken maybe I am....

Now,back to attitude era stuff .... What did you's think about the WWF in late 99 ? Taker and Austin were out with injuries, Foley had turned into a shadow of his former self and at Survivor Series Big Show was crowned champ. Boss Man forcing Show's mother to admit that he was a bastard was hilarious and the footage of Show surfing a casket while Boss Man makes a getaway! Utter sh!te, but funny in hindsight

• Advertisement

Im not too sure either ShawnRaven, I remember them just doing the American PPV plugs only for those shows.

Im not too sure either ShawnRaven, I remember them just doing the American PPV plugs only for those shows.

I could be wrong now that i think about it. I went through some of those IYH's and they were just 3rd or 4th gens of the masters, i may have been confusing the Sky Sports 2 PPVs with Summerslam 95 and King Of The Ring 95 maybe? Although I do have some of them that didn't have the Free For All on them, but they could also be Australian tapings. They were still in PAL format.

If that is the case, then i'll be more than happy to say my assumption took over that they were from Sky, and i'll stand corrected.

Survivor Series 96 and RR 97 weren't shown live for some wierd reason, the replay of WrestleMania 13 edited out the last third of the submission match when Austin is busted open and cut the whole of the street fight save for the finish.

Remember when Monday Night Raw was Raw is War ? And they sort of had it as 2seperate shows with the second half being called the "War Zone". Sabu had a pretty good match with Jeff Hardy around July of 97 , he didn't seem to remember it during one of his shoot interviews.

I could be wrong now that i think about it. I went through some of those IYH's and they were just 3rd or 4th gens of the masters, i may have been confusing the Sky Sports 2 PPVs with Summerslam 95 and King Of The Ring 95 maybe? Although I do have some of them that didn't have the Free For All on them, but they could also be Australian tapings. They were still in PAL format.

If that is the case, then i'll be more than happy to say my assumption took over that they were from Sky, and i'll stand corrected.

King of The Ring & Summerslam were definitely boardcast on Sky Sports

Haha, well it'd be a pretty silly thing to make up, maybe you're mistaken maybe I am....

Explained my end in my last post. Between yourself and rovert, you've made me paranoid!
    Now,back to attitude era stuff .... What did you's think about the WWF in late 99 ? Taker and Austin were out with injuries, Foley had turned into a shadow of his former self and at Survivor Series Big Show was crowned champ. Boss Man forcing Show's mother to admit that he was a bastard was hilarious and the footage of Show surfing a casket while Boss Man makes a getaway! Utter sh!te, but funny in hindsight

The first half of 1999 was utterly dire, It started off well with the Royal Rumble, and then the russofication of the WWE took place. It left for a piss poor Wrestlemania and some atrocious booking before and after it, with the likes of Kane (not trying to start anything here, so hold your fire, you know who you are!), and Chyna being turned face and heel about 15 times before they got from the tron to the ring, it got that silly.

Russo to his eternal credit, was responsible for the rise of the Hardys and Edge & Christian, as putting them in the tag team title frame was his brainchild. So i'll always give him the credit WWE never did during the Monday Night War documentary. When they were on the subject of making new stars, they're obviously not gonna mention Russo, seeing as they have him ready to bury in the next sentence. However as bad as the Russo in WWE was (Kennel from Hell match anyone?), he was nowhere near as bad as he would become in WCW, probably because Vince McMahon had a leash on him when Turner didn't.

By the time Russo jumped to WCW (essentially burning his bridges with Vince McMahon, although not so much that Vinny Mac would rehire him again in 2002), the damage was already done. On top of that Austin's neck was in such back shape that he needed to take painkillers just to be able to move his head. So he had to be written out of the storyline completely and theres where Big Slow came in.

Big Slow was always a waste of space to me, he's just a big guy who has limited ability, zero potential and a multi time no drawing champion. He does however, have a sense of humour and somewhat decent enough mic skill to get him over with the crowd. But six weeks of an abortion of a title run was enough for Vince McMahon to pull the plug on his title reign, to have him drop it to Triple H on TV.

Yeah, 1999 is pretty much the stinker year for the Attitude era.

Survivor Series 96 and RR 97 weren't shown live for some wierd reason, the replay of WrestleMania 13 edited out the last third of the submission match when Austin is busted open and cut the whole of the street fight save for the finish.

I actually tuned out for Rumble 97, but Survivor Series 96 was shown the following day on Sports 2, edited as well i believe. Mania 13 was edited because it was gonna be shown in the day, and the blood wouldn't be suitable for little Johnny.
    Remember when Monday Night Raw was Raw is War ? And they sort of had it as 2seperate shows with the second half being called the "War Zone". Sabu had a pretty good match with Jeff Hardy around July of 97 , he didn't seem to remember it during one of his shoot interviews.

I remember some of the light heavyweights coming in from Mexico, Super Loco being one of them. You know him better these days as something else. ;)

• Advertisement

I thought these where a tough few months and I really had doubts about where the WWF was going. But that all changed with the start of the cactus jack HHH feud and 2000 turned out to be one of the best years IMO for WWF in terms of story lines and matches.

2000 turned out to be one of the best years IMO for WWF in terms of story lines and matches.

Except for November and December, Austin v HHH was awesome and all, but Rock v Rikishi? I guess Vince forgot that it wasn't 1985 at the time because...

... STICKING A FAT TALENTLESS SAMOAN GUY IN A MAIN EVENT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Except for November and December, Austin v HHH was awesome and all, but Rock v Rikishi? I guess Vince forgot that it wasn't 1985 at the time because...

... STICKING A FAT TALENTLESS SAMOAN GUY IN A MAIN EVENT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE!

Jaysus I nearly forgot about that. The who ran down Austin storyline could have been brilliant if it wasn't such a huge disappointment when it was revealed that Rikishi did it. "I DID IT FOR THE ROCK" shocking stuff

Explained my end in my last post. Between yourself and rovert, you've made me paranoid!

The first half of 1999 was utterly dire, It started off well with the Royal Rumble, and then the russofication of the WWE took place. It left for a piss poor Wrestlemania and some atrocious booking before and after it, with the likes of Kane (not trying to start anything here, so hold your fire, you know who you are!), and Chyna being turned face and heel about 15 times before they got from the tron to the ring, it got that silly.

Russo to his eternal credit, was responsible for the rise of the Hardys and Edge & Christian, as putting them in the tag team title frame was his brainchild. So i'll always give him the credit WWE never did during the Monday Night War documentary. When they were on the subject of making new stars, they're obviously not gonna mention Russo, seeing as they have him ready to bury in the next sentence. However as bad as the Russo in WWE was (Kennel from Hell match anyone?), he was nowhere near as bad as he would become in WCW, probably because Vince McMahon had a leash on him when Turner didn't.

By the time Russo jumped to WCW (essentially burning his bridges with Vince McMahon, although not so much that Vinny Mac would rehire him again in 2002), the damage was already done. On top of that Austin's neck was in such back shape that he needed to take painkillers just to be able to move his head. So he had to be written out of the storyline completely and theres where Big Slow came in.

Big Slow was always a waste of space to me, he's just a big guy who has limited ability, zero potential and a multi time no drawing champion. He does however, have a sense of humour and somewhat decent enough mic skill to get him over with the crowd. But six weeks of an abortion of a title run was enough for Vince McMahon to pull the plug on his title reign, to have him drop it to Triple H on TV.

Yeah, 1999 is pretty much the stinker year for the Attitude era.

Yeah, they dropped the ball with Kane after WrestleMania although McMahon trying to get him sanctioned during Royal Rumble was pretty stupid too!

I agree Big Show is utterly dreadful. I remember that the contract he signed in 1999 was a ten year deal, will that be up next year or was there a new one signed at some point ? :confused:

1999 wasn't a total stinker though, as you said started off great with Royal Rumble, Valentine's Day Massacre was pretty damn good too. WrestleMania was poor, Rock just didn't look comfortable in the role. Fully Loaded was really good. Rock and Trips strap match was enjoyable, First Blood match was exciting for a match that usually consists of everyone waiting for match to hurry and get to the finish. The undercard was ok too. That year's SummerSlam wasn't that good, Unforgiven was good. The 6pack challenge was deadly. No Mercy was brilliant I thought. The Austin/HHH match was one of their best.

Hey I liked the Austin/Rikishi squash match spot. It was a tough heel turn in fairness.

Jaysus I nearly forgot about that. The who ran down Austin storyline could have been brilliant if it wasn't such a huge disappointment when it was revealed that Rikishi did it. "I DID IT FOR THE ROCK" shocking stuff

How the HELL did you forget about that atrocity of a story? It nearly sank the credibility of the Rock (as if he didn't have a tough enough time trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t in Billy Gunn the previous year) as a main event carrier!

• Advertisement
Advertisement