Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are Biffo, where do you make the cuts???

Options
  • 26-10-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Right we've had the objections to the budget and all the discussion about medical cards and increasing class sizes and this, that and the other.

The fact still remains that cuts have to be made somewhere, and it looks like it is back to the drawing board for the government, because after caving in on the medical cards for over 70's, and changing the 1% income levy to exclude those on the minimum wage, cuts will still have to come from somewhere and pain has to fall somewhere...

So what I'm asking posters to do, is imagine they are Biffo and they have to cut government current expenditure by 1 Billion Euro, which is really what we have to do now.

Please don't post with, "I'd slash 100 million from Health and 250 million from defence and 650 million from Welfare, I'd get rid of the useless public servants, etc, etc, etc..."

Where EXACTLY would you stop expenditure and why and in respect of your decision, how much money would that decision save??? If you have an good idea that would generate income for the exchequer without a cutback, please post it here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Right we've had the objections to the budget and all the discussion about medical cards and increasing class sizes and this, that and the other.

The fact still remains that cuts have to be made somewhere, and it looks like it is back to the drawing board for the government, because after caving in on the medical cards for over 70's, and changing the 1% income levy to exclude those on the minimum wage, cuts will still have to come from somewhere and pain has to fall somewhere...

So what I'm asking posters to do, is imagine they are Biffo and they have to cut government current expenditure by 1 Billion Euro, which is really what we have to do now.

Please don't post with, "I'd slash 100 million from Health and 250 million from defence and 650 million from Welfare, I'd get rid of the useless public servants, etc, etc, etc..."

Where EXACTLY would you stop expenditure and why and in respect of your decision, how much money would that decision save??? If you have an good idea that would generate income for the exchequer without a cutback, please post it here...

Brian, is that you ? are you looking for ideas on Boards ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd start by putting a tax on people who call the boss Biffo. :D

Then I'd stick everyone with an annual property tax of .5% of the value of all property that'd qualify for Stamp Duty if it were to be sold.

I'd standardise VAT to a single 17.5% rate.

Lastly, I'd make all TD salaries match the average industrial wage, but leave them their expenses.

Privatise the civil service so if it doesnt make a profit,cut jobs proportionately untill it does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Here's a few ideas I had for improving the situation...

I happen to live very close to the Dublin Mountains. I walk up there a lot and not a week goes past where I don't see rubbish illegally dumped on country roadsides. I propose a minimum fine of 3,000 Euro for offenders. Instead of imprisonment as an alternative, I suggets seizure of assets to the value of the fine, for example, car, plasma screen TV, whatever...

I'd legislate for County Councils to provide for a 1,000 Euro payment to anyone in receipt of firm evidence of illegal dumping, viedo/photographic evidence.

The outcome should be that the person who distroys a recreational area with filth and dirt, will have 3,000 Euro taken from them by whatever means and the person who provides the evidence, gets 1,000 Euro of that by way of commission, payable on conviction... The state makes 2K per successful conviction...

I see this as win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭md23040

Get rid of big government and cut all taxes.

Get rid of Income Tax and the Revenue Commisoners [Vat consumption taxation only] privatise Health Service with benchmark conditions, get rid of the Army etc etc and all paper shufflers. Limited social services. All ala Ron Paul style.

Low taxes encourage enterprise - 10% Corp Tax rate and watch the flood of cost-conscious enterprise moving to Ireland

More on the style that Biffo should adopt - http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=s08RJ2_o_MM

Western Governments for years have been delusional funding day to day activities via borrowing.

"Deficits mean future tax increases, pure and simple. Deficit spending should be viewed as a tax on future generations, and politicians who create deficits should be exposed as tax hikers - Ron Paul June 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

From the budget figures €35bn of the €55bn to be spent will be on Social and Family affairs and the HSE! If a tough stance was taken on both of these areas Biffo should be able to save €10bn let alone €1bn. Also I notice that €700,000 is spent on the Irish secret service, they must be doing a good job cos i never even knew we had one!

md23040 wrote: »
    Get rid of big government and cut taxes.

Get rid of the Health Service, Army etc etc and all paper shufflers. Ala Ron Paul style.

This is no use, the "I'd sell the government jet", argument is no use here. How much would you save by implementing the above??? Is it acceptable to electorate, so we don't have a repeat of the last 2 weeks??? Obviously we can't just come up with an idea and find that it can't be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Income

Would have put 12c on petrol. Given where oil prices are likely to go , they could have easily done this and shaved a little off it in future. And it looks very green.

Renegotiated the doctor element of over 70s card as well as payments for DPS scheme. Set much, much higher income restrictions.

Income tax up by 2% at lower level and 3% at upper. Abolish or push PRSI limit up to 100K.
    Look for early review by Commission on Taxation on taxing Child benefit as income.
    Add 1% levy on off-licence sales.
    VAT up 1% and not 1/2%. Would prefer it to go the other way but times are difficult.
    Public servants to pay more for pensions. Negotiable
    Up bank guarantee to €2 billion.

Reduce mileage allowance to 65c per mile and subject to an absolute limit.
    Extra levy on those earning over €100K
    Increase residence requirements for tax exiles to minimum of 150 days a year.
    Systematic review of all loopholes/tax write-offs.
    Inheritance tax of 10% on estates > €1.5 million.

Cuts

End all tribunals ASAP. We've learnt as much as we were ever going to learn unfortunately.

Quangos:Abolish, Merge subjected to a proper review.

Maintain substitution teachers level but freeze on new teachers except where needed to maintain new class sizes. Regrettably increase class size but add more to structural funding.

Enforce tracking of public service sick days. Those determined to be abusing system would lose sick days following year. Depts/Councils would be required to show that they were monitoring such activities.

Reduce overtime where possible in public service by more use of shifts.

Force all public servants to justify training course needs. Limit of 3-4 courses per year per person.

Social welfare. Investigate where payments are going -i.e. to people resident in Ireland. Look at introducing mandatory training "review" at 12 weeks.

Overhaul and review of all Dail committees. Abolish, Merge subjected to a proper review.
    Cabinet approval of any junkets.
    Review dept by dept to determine where redeployment could occur and where early retirement could be offered.
    Look at all semi-state agencies as well, especially FAS.
    Reshuffle and scrap up to 5 junior ministries.
    Get rid of e-voting machines.
    Mothball large future projects (for this year anyway) in favour of more short term projects such as schools and other infrastructure.

EF wrote: »
    From the budget figures €35bn of the €55bn to be spent will be on Social and Family affairs and the HSE! If a tough stance was taken on both of these areas Biffo should be able to save €10bn let alone €1bn. Also I notice that €700,000 is spent on the Irish secret service, they must be doing a good job cos i never even knew we had one!

I agree. To make a saving of 10 billion on expenditure of 35 billion, savings of 28.5% would need to be found. Not easy but in a private sector environment, completely achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A small thing that irritates me is Garda cars, I don't see the need to update them every two/three years, it would probably be more prudent to drive them till they can't go no more.

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote: »
    This is no use, the "I'd sell the government jet", argument is no use here. How much would you save by implementing the above??? Is it acceptable to electorate, so we don't have a repeat of the last 2 weeks??? Obviously we can't just come up with an idea and find that it can't be implemented.

The 1920's Austrian School of Economics approach is not get rid of a jet but get rid of 90% of government. It messes things up 100% of the time and always at more expensive levels. If not acquainted then watch the video - it will be the only viable alternative some day soon.

The aftermath and landscape after this financial crisis will be radically different in many economies.

Ron Paul was the largest fund raiser in the primaries even among oversea's troops - even though he advocates a zero-foreign-policy agenda. Ireland should try to get ahead of the curve.

A small thing that irritates me is Garda cars, I don't see the need to update them every two/three years, it would probably be more prudent to drive them till they can't go no more.

A couple of years ago the government was threatened with a law suit over a defective squad car. An officier was fatally injured during a car chase. A policy change of cars under a certain age and mileage had to be implemented because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Scrap decentralisation and sell all the sites sitting idle over the country.
    Get rid of those e-voting machines.
    Cut down on the numbers of consultants that are getting megabucks. Surely not all of them are needed?
    Reduce the number of junior ministries.
    Put no more money into affordable housing/that new builder bailout thing - the property market will find its own level and there will be no need for this
    Get rid of those tax loopholes that enable rich folk to avoid paying tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

Three million euro per year for 'translators' for the Gardai. Axe that.
    I'd set an English language test for the Gardai - 'if you don't pass it, you are out' - and I'd invite the Embassy of the accused to translate for him, if they judge it neccessary for a fair trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Firetrap wrote: »
    Put no more money into affordable housing/that new builder bailout thing - the property market will find its own level and there will be no need for this
    Get rid of those tax loopholes that enable rich folk to avoid paying tax.

Totally agree with this, stamp duty could even be re-introduced for first time buyers when the property market is approaching realistic prices, which would raise a phenomenal amount of revenue for the government. As much as I would not like to see stamp duty for first time buyers it would be a fair trade off if the Government stopped the current incentives that they propose to introduce to help ftb's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

(Now look what you've done, you've really got me going here.)
    Stop police car chases-waste of life and petrol. Make the Gardai as bored at work as the rest of us
    Reduce housing benefit, stop subsidising buy-to-let speculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

md23040 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago the government was threatened with a law suit over a defective squad car. An officier was fatally injured during a car chase. A policy change of cars under a certain age and mileage had to be implemented because of this.

Then put all solicitors/ barristers up against a wall and shoot them, it might not do much for the economy but it could be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Agree with Firetrap.

I mentioned this on another thread. Scrap "Affordable" housing schemes and other builder bailouts.

Also these local authority loans for those on over 40 grand to buy overpriced houses.

A few billion saved there and the FTB is better served by allowing prices to settle at their natural level than having prices artificially propped up by the tax-payer.

Here's one for ya...

When I was in uni, apparently the pass rate for first year was 45%. So 100 folks start first year and 55 of them drop out after year one.

The way I think free fee's should work, is like this.... You pay your college fee's directly to the college. If you pass, you get them refunded from the Dept. of Education, if you fail, you don't... Very simple solution to a very simple problem. From what I remember, you had people in college who worked and then you had people who spent their grant money on beer in the SU. You can't be fairer than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Where do we start?? Just to throw a few ideas out there...

Income Tax
    • Increase in higher rate of tax by 2 percentage points to 43%
    • Increase in lower rate of tax by 1 percentage point to 21%
    • Indexing of standard rate band and tax credits by 5% over 2008 levels
    • Additional levy of 1% on all incomes above €150,000

Indirect Taxes
    • No move in lower or higher rate of VAT
    • 4 cent increase in a litre of petrol AND diesel
    • Increase in taxes on all forms of alcohol, cigarettes, betting
    • Increase in motor tax based on emissions: 0% for low emission; 5% for medium emission; 12% for high emission

Third Level Fees
    • Reintroduction of 3rd level fees effective from next college year.
    • Creation of state body to provide interest-free loans to students attending college. Framework will allow for repayment of loans to be pursued across borders. Service provided by surplus staff within public sector.
    • Increase in grants for third level students - entitlements depending on parents income and number of dependents.
    • Increased investment in third level colleges and especially R&D at those colleges - so that "knowledge based economy" becomes less of a myth and more of a reality.

Social Welfare
    • 5% increase in social welfare and pension payments over 2008 levels
    • Strict investigation of all social welfare claims - utilising surplus staff within public service
    • €1,100 "childcare" grant abolished and instead provided as part of tax credits for those in employment

Public Service
    • Compulsory / voluntary redundancy programme as appropriate across the public service. No front line cuts in health & education.
    • Mixed DB/DC pension scheme for all new employees in public service.
    • Pay freeze for all public servants.
    • Cost/benefit analysis of all quangos with a target of abolishing 90%.
    • An end to consultancy contracts - this is the work we are paying public servants to do.

Transport
    • Incentives for the public to use public transport. Removal of "stealth taxes" on parking at train stations. Reduction in cost of public transport fares. School bus fares will decrease, rather than increase.
    • Immediate termination of the "Western Rail Corridor" project.
    • Investment in quality bus corridors for regional cities. The service itself will be contracted out to private companies with a history of providing world-class service.
    • Private competition on Dublin bus services.
    • Prioritisation of Dublin Metro and Interconnector - financed by government borrowing.
    • Completion of all planned Inter-Urban road routes - financed by government borrowing.
    • Restriction of funding to "secondary" rail routes which are slow, inefficient and a drain on public money (Sligo, Westport, Rosslare etc). Increased investment in bus services on these routes.

Property Market & Construction Industry
    The focus here is to create a property market which is as efficient as possible.
    Measures which drain taxpayers money, serve to subsidise property developers, distort prices and facilitate "bubbles" will be minimised.
    • No €1.65bn "homechoice" bailout for property developers.
    • Phased abolition of stamp duty in favour of annual property tax. Property tax will be lower for principal private residence, but will increase substantially for each second and subsequent residence owned. This will help to increase market liquidity and reduce the cyclical nature of tax revenue from property sales.
    • Mortgage interest relief reduced to 10% for all buyers.
    • Cap on the amount of interest that landlords can write off against rent for tax purposes
    • Tax on all unoccupied residential and commercial properties
    • Tax on undeveloped land banks
    • Capital investment in schools

Miscellaneous measures
    • On-the-spot €500 fines for anti social behaviour
    • Abolition of town councils and merging of county councils for smaller counties
    • Reduction in number of local councillors
    • Tax incentives for companies that provide staff with flexi-work arrangements and the ability to work from home.
    • Revamped measures to stimulate home grown enterprise, particularly in areas such as IT and renewable energy.

• Advertisement

John J wrote: »
    Where do we start?? Just to throw a few ideas out there...

are you ayatollah khomeini??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

1. Reclaim for the state the bonuses paid to the bank officials who landed us in this mess
    2. Fire all the politicians who've bottled proper decisions or wasted money over the past 10 years (that should leave us with about 50 TDs)
    3. Stop paying double and triple pensions and teachers wages to sitting TDs or discredited TDs and former Ministers

Not much, but it would be a start and would also restore confidence in accountability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This topic came up on AH a couple of weeks ago before the medical card climb down.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055400466

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Increasing taxation just depresses demand and makes any recession longer and deeper.

The only choice is to cut public service spending.

We have seen how people react to public service cuts in the last few weeks, and that is without anyone losing their job!
    We have all heard that taxs make a recession worse, but do we really have another choice? You can fire 100,000 public workers in the morning, each on 60,000, and you will only save 1/2(€6b of the £13b) of what is needed next year. This is of course ignoring that they will no longer be paying taxs and on welfare, so it is probably only a saving of ~€3.5b! Thats with ~100k, when we all know that the country would go into anarchy if a few thousand jobs were cut.

Our tax system really needs an overhaul, because it is setup to generate loads of tax when everything is going fine, VRT/Stamp duty when everyone is buying new cars/houses, but when it slows down their is a huge shortfall as we are seeing atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Get rid of at least three quarters of the Junior ministries
    As well as the expense of their wages their is the expense of their office the staff to support them the car and they employ a driver

Also I would get rid of most of the commitees except probably for the Public accounts this is just more jobs for the boys.

I would also have cut all TDs and Ministers pay by 10% not just the half arsed look we will take the pain too measure announced for cabinet ministers.

No sure how much it would save but it would be a sign that the government were taking things seriously
    If we should get rid of the people with no jobs in the HSE then we should do the same with Government

There are currently 20 junior ministers the average cost in 2007 of staffing a junior minister was €445,000 then the pay for junior minister at about €70,000 on top of their TD salary
    Getting rid of 15 of them would save at least 7.5 miilion with expenses you could probably double that

The 10% pay cut on basic pay would save 1.6 million alone the cut in bonuses etc would bring that up to at least 3 million

Conservatively it would save about 20 million a drop in the ocean but a sign that government was serious and prepared to take the pain.

I would also dramatically cut foreign travel to real business trips the business of finding a conference in the UK to attend during horse racing weeks should be stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Bring some work into the country instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It does not bode well after 10 years of boom that all the FF Government can rely upon is to hit the needy, education and the aged. Its like taking a rattle from a baby. What happened to the grand plan? If there had been a real Government in place for the last 10 years then there would have been a manufacturing base, several types of small enterprises and businesses, and last, but not least, a huge budget surplus saved in the good years to cushion against times such as now. Instead we got total reliance on construction and all the surplus wasted. Remind me who was the Finance minister, oh yes, now we have the same guy as Taoiseach. Expect great things. It seems to me that any Government in power in Ireland does not want to leave any future Government with a full cupoard but instead leave the shelves bare, akin to begrudgery, rather than putting the country first.

My budget would be increase the income tax rate by 1%, higher for big earners. Increase Corp tax. Cut vat to 15% Claw back money from the County Councils who waste it abundantly. Introduce some sort of rates and spread the load without cutting into the vulnerable.Make the Banks pay 2 Billion each for the bail out and a cut of the profits and shares for the taxayer. Lets face it, might as well nationalize the banks as they cannot be trusted to run the financial sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cut income tax to 19% (€36,000, €11,000 transferable) and 39%(€80,000, €40,000 transferable) and then a 49% rate. Cut VAT to 11% and 18%.Scrap the early childhood supplement and replace it with a deductable charge for creche bills of up to €5,000 at the marginal rate of tax. Both fueling spending and consumer confidence.

10% retention tax on the net of taxed bonuses which exceed €250,000 gross in a 12 month period.

35c on petrol, 40c on diesel.

Remove the state contribution to public sector pension schemes and instate an OAP entitlement to those in the public sector.

Pay frontline staff such as nurses, Gardaí and soldiers an increased salary. Cut the salaries of consultants, and desk-jockeys in An Garda Siochána. Move civil servants to desk duties in aforementioned guardians of the peace.

Scrap the nursing degree programmes and re-instate on the job training with in-house classroom lessons given by existing nurses.

Means test fees for third level rather than just shouldering the cost.

VRT would be seriously rebalanced....no revenue- neutral measures....Irish people like to go places in their cars.

Cut spending in the short run on N road upgrades, but plan to make all intercity routes 3 lane from start to finish.

Spend whatever it takes to get effective Luas, commuter rail and Metro systems up and running in the 5 cities and their commuter counties.

No labourers allowed on the dole....out to build schools and roads with them. All construction workers in fact.

Close 15 hospitals and open the never used empty wards in larger hospitals with the displaced staff. There's probably a bit of admin redundancy possible here too.

Close any school where there is more than 1 yeargroup being thought by 1 teacher and build cluster schools between small towns and villages that would traditionally have used this set-up, the location facilitating travel to as many of the local schools as possible in a geographical sense. School bus system to be put inplace to handle this (private tenders). Extra teachers from the move could be used as remedial teaching staff.

With savings and extra revenue, combined with an increase in the investment in health and education, I see no reason that Overseas Development Aid could not be brought to .7% of GDP in 2 years.

ninty9er wrote: »
    35c on petrol, 40c on diesel.

Why are so many posters wanting to put up the price of petrol/diesel?

1. Don't you think motorists a taxed enough already with car tax, vrt and excise, vat, duty on fuel compared to what's given back.
    2. Do you really think that oil will remain low. It'll go so through the roof in the medium term, that the $120 range will have looked great value.

Earlier poster mentioned to cut taxes, that's the right answer! It creates the money multiplier rather than taking it straight out of the system. Lowering taxes can increase tax yields. Again all tax should be consumption related only IMO i.e. Vat and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

A new income tax rate of 60% on earnings above €150,000 pa.

Advertisement