Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young,male drivers!

Options
  • 27-10-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I'm getting looking to buy insurace for my car, its a small car and im a young male driver.

Who did you get insured with?
    How much did it cost and in what car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm getting looking to buy insurace for my car, its a small car and im a young male driver.

Isn't it still usually Quinn?? I bought first car back in 2000 and paid them almost £4000 in a 1.4 Tipo

Car size and specs tend to matter much less than they once did. If you haven't bought a car yet, you shouldn't automatically assume that the smaller it is, the cheaper it is to insure. IMO, cars smaller than 1.4 golfs, focus, corollas, civics are too small for Irish roads. I'd always recommend trying these cars for insurance before running off to buy a Ford Ka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's harsh.

You'll have to go with Quinn. That's who I got insured with first. You're looking at about €2500 anyways. (ish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

1.4 aint to small for irish roads. Where ya get an idea like that from.
    Dlofnep your insurance should be down a nice bit since last year cos ya turned 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Aye it is. Cheap as chips now. 25, full license. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭stewiegriffin08

Its doesnt just depend on the size... to insure me on a 1.4 civic or whatever is dearer than a 1.8 mondeo... not sure what it depends on really... just be ready to pay around 3-4k no matter what it is... deaer than the car itslef... its mad :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I got a 00 1.4 Golf insured with Axa on one of their student policies:

€2102 in my own name, fully comp, learner permit, 19y/o, no ncb, no points.

Not bad.

(edit: test next month so please God I'll get it and that premium will drop a few hundred quid, the balance between the figures will be sent out to me in a cheque).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

qz for your age that not a bad premium. Best of luck next month

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Quinn are probably your best bet. If you have a full licence try Hibernian, and get on the Ignition Course, it can take a good bit off your premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Its doesnt just depend on the size... to insure me on a 1.4 civic or whatever is dearer than a 1.8 mondeo... not sure what it depends on really... just be ready to pay around 3-4k no matter what it is... deaer than the car itslef... its mad :(

It seems mad, but insurance is not about what it costs replacing the car. It's about the hospital bills for crash victims, and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

€~1450 with Quinn, FUll Licence, 20yo and 1 year no claims on a 1.2L. Was €200 more when I had the provisional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

€500 on my mam's policy on a 1.6 focus from axa family first through insure.ie.

Advertisement