Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax 10% account

Options
  • 27-10-2008 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Is there any catches to this account? 1

0% intrest once my wages go through it sounds great compared to what im currently getting, plus a visa debit card (so its cheaper to buy flights with Ryanair who I use a lot) and no government creidt card charge next year?

Are there customer service and online banking good? I will be using the card abroad quite a bit, wth that in mind is it a good choice? Is it a simple enough process to change from AIB? Also is it easy to transfer money to other online accounts?

Im just with AIB at the moment, have my credit card with them so was always going to stick with them for handiness, but it expires next month so was thinking of changing accounts. Would prefer a Visa debit, the Maestro debit card is useless online and outside of ireland.

Also should i close my current AIb account, or just leave it open? A friend said that the banks can now just do all this for you, the only thing kinda stopping me doing this is the hassle of telling work that i have a new account.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The debit card isn't an Electron, so I don't believe it will give you much of a discount on Ryanair.

As for your other questions, search this forum for Halifax. They've mostly been covered before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I was thinking of doing the same, but after some research have concluded the following:

Theres a lot of hassle changing over, even if they do it automatically, theres still hassle.

if you keep 2k in there all the time, the most intrest you can earn is 200euros a year, which imo is not worth the hassle.

There online banking is terrible, whereas AIB have the best online banking.

I just eneded up going ordering an AIB click credit card, i wont pay intrest anyway as I always clear it straight away, so the debit crad has no real advantage if you do it that way, although you get stung with the government duty every year. But theres the extra security of a credit card.

halifax have no fees or charges either, but on my aib account ive enver been charged either.

They were just my thoughts on it

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I do have the halifax current account, and find their online service way better then my previous accounts (have used AIB and Permanent TSB previously).

It is very easy to setup and maintain direct debits, standing orders, and manual payments.

I have however stayed with AIB for my Visa card, as Halifax's one is woeful. You can't see your transactions online.

In regard to the ryanair thing, I did use my card before to pay less charges when booking online. Can't remember how much less, think it was only a euro or two per seat.

It is easy to switch. I get paid monthly so had loads of time between payments in just in case, but had no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The debit card isn't an Electron, so I don't believe it will give you much of a discount on Ryanair.

Sadly the Debit card is charged the same as any visa now which is €10. Their used to be a reduction but now its strictly for visa electron.

Its easy to swich, the banks have to transfer all DD and SO's and within ten days.

The visa debit is very good, accepted anywhere, and some retail outlets give cashback. The transactions are updated normally within 24hours.

The Visa credit card inst as good though because only the balance is viewable online as aposed to the individual transactions.

other questions just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

davton wrote: »
    Sadly the Debit card is charged the same as any visa now which is €10. Their used to be a reduction but now its strictly for visa electron.

Its only €5 for the card now.
    Debit Card €5 annually per card *
    * If you use your card for both ATM & Debit Card transactions you will have to pay €5.00 stamp duty per year. If you only use your card for ATM or only for Debit card transactions the charge will be €2.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

heymcflyx wrote: »
    Its only €5 for the card now.

I was referring to the charge on Ryanair.com as mentioned earlyer in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

I changed over a few months ago (from Ulster Bank).

The 10% is genuine, paid on minimum balance in a/c for previous month, up to a max of 2k. But it won't last forever - HBOS in the UK pay only 4%, I think, and with LLoyds taking over HBOS, things will surely change.

In Halifax, the seriously misnamed "changeover team", who are supposed to process your direct debit and standing order transfers between the banks are worse than abysmal. Best to download the various letters from their website and do it yourself.

As regards the Visa Debit Card, it works well, but not in Aldi or Lidl, who only take Laser cards. Also, you do not have the level of protection using it compared to that offered by Credit Card companies. Recently, when several airlines went bust, those who paid by credit card got a refund, those using this card would not qualify. Same applies to purchases over the internet.

The online banking seems adequate for most people, well me anyway! Staff couldn't be nicer, but everyone else can hear your business due to the open counter layout in their premises.

Advertisement