Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gave up Dairy and all sweeties.... :(

• 27-10-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need help.
    recently i've gone through a bit of a health cleansing.
    I lost a stone in the last few months and am now only just over 10stone. (so i got worried)
    I'm 5'10" and really ridiculously skinny.
    I am starting a weights program and have a order for a mass gain supplement.
    Due to a recent argument with my housemates i have decided to give up dairy.
    I've also stopped my social smoking(aren't i great)
    Due to acne i have decided to give up everything sugary and such...

-I love everything dairy
    -Cheese (i really love it)
    -Yoghurt(it's killing me without it)
    -A glass of Milk and chocolate(my guilty pleasure)
    -I have huge cravings for all types of sweets!
    -My breakfast used to contain of 800mls of millk with over 200g of cereal.

So the deal is i'm really finding it hard to get some substitutes for all the dairy and confectionaries i was consuming.

What's really got me though is snacking!!!

Please any suggestions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Can I ask what the reason for giving up dairy is? A glass of milk certainly shouldn't make you feel guilty, milk is packed with protein, it's low in fat and rich in calcium.

If you're still craving sugary foods, fruits and dried fruits are one of the quickest and easiest ways to curb a sweet tooth.

You've been robbing everyone elses milk haven't you.
    I honestly think that is a stoopid reason to cut something extremely nutritious out of your diet. Especially if your struggling to maintain 10 stone.

Have a look into calculating your calorific requirements. There are formulas in a stick on the fitness forum. Then track your current intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

no i wasn't drinking their milk...

and the reason i have stopped eating and drinking any kind of dairy is due to an argument about if it's natural for us to consume products from other animals milk...
    Milk is essentially for infants and cows milk is for calfs that's the reason why i have given up dairy.

My housemates however think otherwise
    And so in a kind of protest i have stopped consuming all dairy...

Any chance of some snacking suggestions then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Make milk shakes (maybe nesquick?) with full fat, sweetened soy milk...I don't like soy milk any other way (it tastes like liquid plaster of paris to me) but for some reason, seems to make incredible milk shakes.

You are dropping weight and craving sugar?

Just run that by your Doctor to be on the safe side, it just sounds a little bit like a potential diabetic marker...probably nothing but best be sure?

Meanwhile try lots of honey...which is starting to be recognised as exceptionally good for regulating all kinds of things....though, of course, it is intended for baby bees :D

Effluo wrote: »
    no i wasn't drinking their milk...

and the reason i have stopped eating and drinking any kind of dairy is due to an argument about if it's natural for us to consume products from other animals milk...
    Milk is essentially for infants and cows milk is for calfs that's the reason why i have given up dairy.

My housemates however think otherwise
    And so in a kind of protest i have stopped consuming all dairy...

Any chance of some snacking suggestions then?

But yours still eating animals? :confused:

The farmer does still give feed the calves milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But reading your posts it seems the real reason is to "win" the argument. I do believe what you say above, but still drink milk and eat dairy. Seems you might have bit off your nose to spite your face.

If you are truly giving up dairy then you are going to have to read your ingredients lists very carefully, a lot of products contain dairy. But maybe you are worried mainly for dietary reasons, like some veggies are, yet they are not too concerned about animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

aare wrote: »
    Make milk shakes (maybe nesquick?) with full fat, sweetened soy milk...I don't like soy milk any other way (it tastes like liquid plaster of paris to me) but for some reason, seems to make incredible milk shakes.

Soz to rain on your parade but eh yeah soy milk has recently been questioned about how healthy it is.

I'm not sure which ones but it has recently been linked to some medical conditions. We're not used to eating the amount of soya beans which it takes to make a glass of soy milk.

Soz to rain on your parade but eh yeah soy milk has recently been questioned about how healthy it is.
    Soz to rain on yours but the link between soy and ill-health in men is unfounded and unproven. Conversely soy has been shown to have a number of benefits in women including a possible reduction in breast cancer risk.

rubadub is right, you're cutting off your nose in spite of your face here. There is nothing to stop us drinking cow's milk biologically speaking. As adults we're perfectly capable of digesting and assimilating it, and is a brilliant low-fat source of protein, vitamins A, D, B12 and calcium

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

g'em wrote: »
    rubadub is right, you're cutting off your nose in spite of your face here. There is nothing to stop us drinking cow's milk biologically speaking. As adults we're perfectly capable of digesting and assimilating it, and is a brilliant low-fat source of protein, vitamins A, D, B12 and calcium
    Some people are lactose intolerant, but generally in places where dairy farming has been happening for thousands of years (eg Ireland), the people are genetically tolerant to lactose and hence can eat dairy with no problems.

OP, your biological argument against people eating dairy may stand in other countries, where people are more lactose intolerant, or a long time ago. But the domestication of animals, including the cow and other milk-producing animals a millenia ago means that biologically we have adapted to eating dairy.

However, many vegans and environmentalists would maintain an ethical argument against dairy, which would probably be more solid.

Anyway, to answer your question, Alpro soy milk is great - you can use it in baking and cooking as well. I've used it to make white sauce in lasagne and no one has been any the wiser. In baking, butter can mostly be replaced with oil. Try the high % dark chocolate or there are non-dairy chocolates out there. Maybe ask in the Vegan & Vegetarian forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Thank heavens g'em...

Anyway, I was only suggesting she had an odd soy Nesquick as a treat...not that she take baths in it! :D

I think people really DO go too far sometimes in examining every little thing they eat...

There is a recent swing towards some sources presenting dairy as unhealthy, or, at least, not as healthy as it was thought to be, but, even so, as a treat...just how much harm could a substance intended for new-born baby animals actually do?

• Advertisement

taconnol wrote: »
    Some people are lactose intolerant, but generally in places where dairy farming has been happening for thousands of years (eg Ireland), the people are genetically tolerant to lactose and hence can eat dairy with no problems.
    True, good call, although less than 5% of Irish people are lactose intolerant (and you know all about it if you are!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yeah, I wonder about all those people in Asia who are starting to eat more dairy - are they just forcing it down themselves even though they're having a negative reaction?? Bizarre..

Advertisement