Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has there ever been a book...

Options
  • 27-10-2008 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

..that followed the hero's life from birth, through youth, middle age, old age and death? Bildungsromans from age 10-25 or so are common enough, but I suppose such a book would be all over the place in terms of plot. (Rather like real lives.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

so you've just finished "Tristran Shandy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

The Bible?:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell follows the life of a man and his friends through from fairly young till they are very old men. It's a series of 12 novels, their quite good and cover the period through both World Wars through to the sixties I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Martin Amis' 'Time's Arrow'. Excellent read, btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

The World According to Garp by John Irving.
    Brilliant book documenting Garp's life from pre-conception. The last third drags a bit, but one of the better books I've read.

Advertisement