Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newry = Boom Town *another northy shoppng spree*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

maurao wrote: »
    I was in the BB's place in the Quays Newry on Thursday, and was charged £2.85 for Latte and a Chocolate Chip muffin. In BBs in Drogheda (Scotch Hall) today, I was charged €4.95 - that works out at an exchange rate of less than .57. The current bank rate is .7925, and means that this is a scandalous ripoff.

Isn't BB's a franchise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Trouble is that Sainsburys don't take laser cards.

They accept 'maestro' which most laser cards offer.
    I used Laser in the Sprucefield Sainsburys about 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

creggy wrote: »
    I bought a pair a of jeans for £30 in topman in Newry 2 weeks ago. My friend got the same pair in Blanchardstown SC yesterday for €50

And the worst thing is that those jeans are getting dearer!

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57933013#post57933013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

im planning on hitting newry this weekend for the first time. Where do people recomend to go ? we are doing a christmas shop so we'll be looking at getting food/drink and pressies (baby clothes for the nephew aswell)... oh yeah is there a boots?

thanks in advance... appologies if there is a similiar thread already started.

I've only been up there a couple of times but there's two shopping centres right opposite each other, juts go to both of them.

I don't think there's a boots (I'm probably wrong though!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I don't think there's a boots (I'm probably wrong though!)

Theres a Boots in the Quays right next to Sainsburys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I guess I was right (About being wrong) :)

I guess I was right (About being wrong) :)

:D

Just to add a further nail to the coffin, there's also a Boots in Buttercrane down by M&S.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eth0_ wrote: »

Ditto- last weekend.......

Ps- thoroughly recommend their Luxury crackers @ half price £7.50 a box- the contents are very high quality. Also- if you need a new TV- they had a stall of 40" 1080p Sony LCDs to clear at £499.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

eth0_ wrote: »

I'm not asking for your card details but does yours have the 3 digit security no. on back, mine doesn't and it wasn't accepted by sainsburys a while back

mcwhirter wrote: »
    I'm not asking for your card details but does yours have the 3 digit security no. on back, mine doesn't and it wasn't accepted by sainsburys a while back

Sainsbury's in Sprucefield use chip and pin....... ?

• Advertisement

Great, at the time my laser card had no chip and pin, so I will now use it instead of cash as the maestro charges are less than the cirrus atm cash withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ashdabash88

Am heading up to Newry to do the crimbo shopping the minute the 2pc VAT reduction is confirmed, anyone know what pro's and con's there are to buying mobiles up there??

Can you just buy the phone and get a sim down here to put into it or does it need to be unlocked?? It doesn't have to be anything amazing-its the little sisters first phone so it will be a pay as you go set up we're looking at.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..............:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It would need to a model that is not locked to a perticular service provider.

Am heading up to Newry to do the crimbo shopping the minute the 2pc VAT reduction is confirmed, anyone know what pro's and con's there are to buying mobiles up there??

Can you just buy the phone and get a sim down here to put into it or does it need to be unlocked?? It doesn't have to be anything amazing-its the little sisters first phone so it will be a pay as you go set up we're looking at.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..............:)

Very difficult to by a sim-free handset and any network handset will be sim locked.

Good savings on offer buying online though - I've used Kelkoo.co.uk, you can filter sim free phones and narrow down the choice by the features you want. Easy. Plus there are a good few phones on the UK market that are never taken up by the Irish networks, if you want something to stand out from the crowd - certainly in the past I've had 4 Samsung models that were never available in IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I have to go down the belfast road to get home now, was up at the weekend and couldnt get off the friggin motorway....even thinking about going through newry anymore is ridiculous.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    I have to go down the belfast road to get home now, was up at the weekend and couldnt get off the friggin motorway....even thinking about going through newry anymore is ridiculous.

I know. I don't even bother trying- Sprucefield, even though its like a series of warehouses, is a dream in comparison......

Its getting stupid now as it took me 3 and a 1/2 hours to get to my parents house in downpatrick cos i was stuck on the motorway behind a load of southern reg cars looking for cheap shopping.

Normally takes me 1 hour 45 minutes to get home. Gonna need a helichoptor at this rate over crimbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its getting stupid now as it took me 3 and a 1/2 hours to get to my parents house in downpatrick cos i was stuck on the motorway behind a load of southern reg cars looking for cheap shopping.

Normally takes me 1 hour 45 minutes to get home. Gonna need a helichoptor at this rate over crimbo.

Call yourself a nordie, 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home? I thought you guys never drove anywhere at less than mach 2 judging by your compatriots on the M1 :rolleyes::P:D

Call yourself a nordie, 1 hour and 45 minutes to get home? I thought you guys never drove anywhere at less than mach 2 judging by your compatriots on the M1 :rolleyes::P:D

We drive so quickly on the M1 as we are trying to get away from the mental drivers from the south. Seriously who indicates right when they are going through a roundabout!!!!!

We drive so quickly on the M1 as we are trying to get away from the mental drivers from the south. Seriously who indicates right when they are going through a roundabout!!!!!

Anyone who is following the rules of the road?

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Anyone who is following the rules of the road?

Try again buddy, why indicate to go straight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Bit off topic but indicating right when going straight is a no no, I can't stand drivers who do it!!!!!!

Anyway, are the shopping centres in Newry not a bit small by republic standards.

tubos wrote: »
    Bit off topic but indicating right when going straight is a no no, I can't stand drivers who do it!!!!!!

Anyway, are the shopping centres in Newry not a bit small by republic standards.

Only small cause they are bunged with southern shoppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

This whole Rip off Republic lark is sooo fecking Irish. People really do not get it. All we're dealing with is a currency exchange issue which at the moment simply favours the North. Let me put it this way, if sterling went back up and €1 would only get you 73p (as it was very recently) would everyone be talking about how great the Republic is?

Its all well and good to shop around for a bargain even if it means crossing the border or flying to New York, but its all to do with currency exchanges people! you don't see people going to other Euro zone countries for a bargain - because the favourable exchange rate is not there. In fact most of them are more expensive (well Italy and Netherlands are from my recent experience anyway).

20goto10 wrote: »
    This whole Rip off Republic lark is sooo fecking Irish. People really do not get it. All we're dealing with is a currency exchange issue which at the moment simply favours the North. Let me put it this way, if sterling went back up and €1 would only get you 73p (as it was very recently) would everyone be talking about how great the Republic is?

Its all well and good to shop around for a bargain even if it means crossing the border or flying to New York, but its all to do with currency exchanges people! you don't see people going to other Euro zone countries for a bargain - because the favourable exchange rate is not there. In fact most of them are more expensive (well Italy and Netherlands are from my recent experience anyway).

Are you serious? goods are cheaper without a favourable exchange...the shops are putting huge margins on everything in the south. This is the main reason people are flooding up north and it has been happening for a lot longer than you think. The fact that the exchange is so good now is irrelevant and the vat rates have a lot to do with it aswell. People dont go to the other euro zones as newry is only a short hop away. Get real buddy.

The north was cheaper before the recent drop in the value of the sterling. When the euro was worth only 65p instead of 85p as now, food etc was still cheaper in the north.
    So it is a bargain now.

Are you serious? goods are cheaper without a favourable exchange...the shops are putting huge margins on everything in the south. This is the main reason people are flooding up north and it has been happening for a lot longer than you think. The fact that the exchange is so good now is irrelevant and the vat rates have a lot to do with it aswell. People dont go to the other euro zones as newry is only a short hop away. Get real buddy.
    Stuff was not cheaper before the favourable exchange rates. I've been to the UK many many times it its been far from cheap over the past few years.

Yeah Newry is a short trip away but New York isn't, and its the same Bull coming out of people. I've a brother in the states and 3 or 4 years ago everything over there was more expensive too.

By all means shop in the UK while its cheaper. But get your facts straight as to whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I used to work in a shop's store room takeing in the orders etc i used to have to take the english prise of the items so people did not no how much they were being ripped of items that were selling for 300 GBP selling for 550 euro :eek: that is almost 200 euro more by todays rates

I used to work in a shop's store room takeing in the orders etc i used to have to take the english prise of the items so people did not no how much they were being ripped of items that were selling for 300 GBP selling for 550 euro :eek: that is almost 200 euro more by todays rates
    It makes sense unless you have special electronic ticker tape tags that show the exchange rate as it fluctuates on a daily basis.

Maybe there has been retailers ripping people off, but by and large whats going on is the exchage rate has changed.

• Advertisement

Stuff was not cheaper before the favourable exchange rates. I've been to the UK many many times it its been far from cheap over the past few years.

Yeah Newry is a short trip away but New York isn't, and its the same Bull coming out of people. I've a brother in the states and 3 or 4 years ago everything over there was more expensive too.

By all means shop in the UK while its cheaper. But get your facts straight as to whats going on.

Im sorry but you are wrong, im from the North and am up home twice a month at least for the last 5 years. Goods are cheaper, vat has always been cheaper the cost is less, whats so hard to accept?.

Just because you are not informed dont try to force your opinion on me when i know its bull.

What has new york got to with shopping in newry??

Advertisement