Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good wireless router?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble with my connection and I think my Linksys WRT55AG router might be part of the problem. I was going to install dd-wrt on it as it was suggested to me this might help, but this router (version 2) is shown as Not Supported on the dd-wrt supported devices page.

I might go ahead and try to install dd-wrt on it anyway, but I'm expecting it either to not work or to brick the router so I want to start planning for a replacement.

What wireless router (with at least 4 ethernet ports required too) would you recommend? I'd probably like to install dd-wrt on it to get the extra functionality so it'll need to be dd-wrt compatible.

I have a CAT5e network in the house and also use the wireless network for some devices. Would it be a smart buy for me to get a wireless N router with gigabit ports with the future in mind, or would my CAT5e network not be able to take full advantage of a gigabit router anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

I'd definitely recommend you go the N route, dont' worry about your CAT5e - it should be fine for the moment.

Re:router, at this stage the manufacturers are releasing products that will be upgradeable to the final standard next year. The Linksys WRT610n seems to get reasonable reviews and so does the DLINK DIR-825. I think the DLINK and LinkSys give you 1 year warranty.

If you want 3 year warranty you might be interested in Trendnets TEW-672GR.

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks nohopengn - the dd-wrt page shows the WRT610n ver 1 is supported, so I guess if I could confirm I get a version 1.0 that would suit. So I could update this to full wireless N when it's available?

BOFH_139 - that WRT54GL is a good price but I'll go with wireless N and gigabit LAN to future proof my setup.

I hadn't heard of OPENWrt, what's the difference between it and dd-wrt? I know nothing about dd-wrt really so am not committed to it and their forum doesn't seem the friendliest of places. So if OpenWRT gives me what I need and is easier to deal with, I would go for that.

I do like the sound of some dd-wrt features though, VPN, power setting, static DHCP, bandwidth prioritisation, Wake On LAN etc. all sound good - does OpenWRT have those?

Advertisement