Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campin in Galway

Options
  • 27-10-2008 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

The fella and I want to go Camping somewhere closish to the city...but far enough to escape it too lol, I dont know Galway well as im from Ennis.

All suggestions welcome, in my mind tho, i dont really want a camping park thingy more of a camping in the woods etc but I dont know anywhere.

+ How pissed do you think someone would be if they found you camping on their property, if the property was like...a huge woodland or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Is the camping season not over? ie. Is the weather not too cold, too wet and too windy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

You're s'posed to apply to coillte to camp/light fires in forests.

A good place I have camped in Galway is up in Connemara by the mountains. This time of year would be bad to do it though, with the rainy weather it would be hard to get a fire going and you'll freeze if you're stuck all night without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clirion

Its just hes american, and only in ireland for a year ;;, so i was under the impression i have to be quick about it before it gets much worse. Or has it already gotten too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

The weather is grand for camping you big girls blouses. It'd be cold alright but as long as you have decent sleeping bags and sleeping mats you'd be grand.

I'm all for wild camping, as long as you clean up after yourself, leave no trace, people aren't entitled to get pissed off about it in my mind.

I can think of a couple of spots offhand but am reluctant to post here, send me a pm if you want more info. If it's woodland you want you're going to the wrong county though I'm afraid, not much woodland around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

best place i can think thats near the city is menlo castle. Its not totally legal ubt we've done it plenty of times. Pitch the tent down by the water in front of the castle. Totally private (except for the boats on the river) but its like a 5 minute drive ffrom the centre of town...
    I wudnt go swimming tho unless you re familiar with the river. There are lots of hidden currents up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Any camping i would have been doing in the galway direction would have been in salthill.
    if u go straight out of galway, through salthill, then about like 500m past the roundabout at the far end of salthill on the left.
    It is a bit out alright and there are buses right across fromt he entrance into galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

the one out by salthill is pretty nice alright., although ive seen peopple camp by the claddagh. and its only 5 mins walk to the pubs etc. and ya cn camp right by the water

out past menlo on the left is prob best area?

Advertisement