Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get a new pet?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

I had a dog for 13 years. Her name was Patches. She was a Fox Terrier. Unfortunately in January she passed away because of a brain tumour. I was sad for weeks.

I love dogs. But I'm quite cautious about getting a new pup, that dog will eventually pass away too. Am I ready yet? Do I need more time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I think you should. We have always had dogs and fortunately most of them have reached a good age before they died. Always felt at the time that they could never be replaced.

The last one was a pomeranian and as you may be aware they are fantastic, intelligent little dogs and it's possible to form a great bond. When she died my mother did not want another dog but after a couple of months my brother bought a boxer pup (for a bit of security if nothing else).

The boxer is now the boss of the entire family! Everybody loves her and although my mother and herself have their moments (notably when the dog runs away with the sweeping brush :D or pulls up flowers) they are very close and the dog is very protective of my mother and father.

From my own point of view I found myself a little aloof from the dog for a little while but gradually began to regard her as part of the family too.

I dont think we would get the same breed of dog though because it might feel a little as if we were trying to replace the older dog.

Thats just our experience though and I suppose everybody is different.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

only you will know when and if the time is right for you to get a new dog. the other option that you might consider, and which may help you to decide if you are ready or not it to foster a dog for a rescue. yes you do have to consider the fact that in general we out live our pets and there is a lot of heartache involved in their passing but does that in any way outweight the joy that they bring to your life over their lifespan?

good luck with your decision whatever way you decide.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

one of the ways to think about it is -that a dog is alive and out there that needs the love only you can it-if you dont take it the dog may end up being beaten and neglected--over the years i have loved and lost 4 dogs each dog has its own personality and i remember each one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends. Are you secure in your job, home, etc? Don't get a pet if you're going to emigrate in the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Every pet will eventually die, but you can give it the best life before it goes to doggie heaven! Dogs are friends, even when they are gone a part of them is always with us. I think you should get a new dog, you obviously love and care for them so you would be a perfect owner for one! Get a rescue one, you'll give some poor animal a second chance in life (this is where the part of giving it the best life kicks in), the dog will love you for that forever. I have a rescue lurcher (that came with the past of abuse and neglect) that has been my best friend through really dark times in my life (we lost a baby last year) and I can honestly tell yopu that this dog has repaid his debts: he saved my life being by my side at all times and looking after me. He is 3 years old now, i know he will not live forever but the years we will be together are the best. He is smart, funny and we love him dearly. And guess what, we are getting him a sister. We reserved a little girl in an animal sanctuary (waiting for her to be spayed at the moment), she is the gentlest, full of life (and the skinniest) creature. Rescued from the death row on the 4th day of her stay in the pound ( they put them to sleep after 5 days). She defo deserves some happiness and she will keep our dog a company when our new baby arrives and he might be getting little less attention! So go for it, get a new dog, you will love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

Hi Ivyslayer,

My dog was killed in my own back garden 3 mths ago after being with me for 9 years. I was (and still am) heartbroken. However I was lost without a dog and recently adopted 2 pups from the pound. They will never replace my original dog, but it feels so much better (and normal!) to have the pups in the house.... It takes the focus off the heartache :-(

I'd say go for it! Good luck :-)
    Trix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

It can be hard to lose a pet. I think you should get another one. It will help get over the loss of your dog. There are plenty of pups out there who people are willing to give away to good homes so you shold have no problem getting one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I lost my dog of fourteen years in September and I would love to get another dog but my parents don't want another dog as they were so upset over our last dog having to get PTS.
    When I am in a position to have my own dog (have my own house) I will deffinitely get a new dog(or 4!:))
    I think there aren't enough people in this world who treat their dogs well so I really think its a shame when a good owner like the OP is too upset to get another dog. I know its a very hard thing to get over but I think getting a new dog would do the OP the world of good.
    Good Luck OP either way!:)

Advertisement