Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT but no V5C form

Options
  • 27-10-2008 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a car from the North, however I don't have the V5C form that appears to be required, I have requested it from the local authority in the north for the export cert etc, however they are not fast at responding...

So what do you that in that situation, I want to register it asap, but without these certs I am not sure what I can do?

Anyone have such experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Did you not see the V5 when purchasing the car?

The correct procedure is that whoever sold you the car should have given you the V5 at time of sale and they send of Section 8 of the form to Swansea for it to be registered as permanently exported, you then present the V5 to VRT the car.

Quickest solution is to contact the seller and get them to send you the V5 and get them to send off Section 8 to Swansea. Another option is that you become registered owner on the V5 and you send off the form to Swansea but this will take longer and an Irish address may not be acceptable for the new owner.

Thanks for the reply, okay, I spoke to the person I bought it off (she is actually someone I know that lives in the north)....

She advised me that she submitted her car log to the DVLA in Ballymena and that I have to get the export cert or I guess the V5? But I think that she should be getting this for me as I doubt they would provide it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes she is supposed to cut off and send back section 8, you then take the rest of the V5.

Yep, looks like she did not do that, she handed in her full log etc....anyway, after phoning around it looks like I need to fill in the V756 Form, see below....so will need to contact the dublin VRT office to see if they can give me a months grace...!

www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle_forms/V756NI.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I recently bought a car from the North, however I don't have the V5C form that appears to be required, I have requested it from the local authority in the north for the export cert etc, however they are not fast at responding...

So what do you that in that situation, I want to register it asap, but without these certs I am not sure what I can do?

Anyone have such experience of this?
    The VRO will also accept a Certificate of Permanent Export
    .. download the application .. fill it out .. fax it over to the DVLA, and when you get the cert in the post (takes about a week) use it to register car. I've done this twice before.

I got the car in the North, should I send the filled out form to Swansea or Coleraine? They don't appear to supply a fax number on the forms....looks like I will need to post it...

Just wondering if anyone has experience of getting a letter from the Vehicle Registration Office saying you are awaiting documentation (export cert from NI)...

I spoke to the local NI office and sent a fax for them to send it to me...but it could take 3 weeks...I'm heading to Galway this weekend and have the car insured etc but don't want to end up on an episode of 'customs' on RTE....so can the VRO provide a letter?

I spoke to a Woman in the VRO Santry and she was unclear to be honest...if I do go to the office is there anything I need as possible evidence to get a couple of weeks grace?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Yep, I got a letter from the VRO in Cork when I brought in a 5 series last year. Took 7 weeks for the V5 to arrive and they had no problem in the VRO giving me a letter for 5 weeks, then extending it to cover another 5...by then the V5 had arrived. Go into your VRO and tell them the story. Helps if you have a VRT print-out from Revenue Online VRT Calc etc.

Cool, well I have the a copy of the bank draft for the amount I paid to the last owner, I also have the previous owners last road tax cert letter, a bank draft for the amount and print out from the VRT calculator, which I will use to pay (once I get the export cert) and a copy of my insurance policy stating I changed the policy to cover the new car with the current UK reg....hopefully it will be enough....

The woman on the phone from the VRO in Santry kept on giving me a lecture on why I don't have the V5 and/or export cert....sounded like my mother, when all I wanted to know is if she could give me a letter for a couple of weeks....not like I don't want to pay the VRT or anything...

• Advertisement
Advertisement