Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice please

• 27-10-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Well yesterday I had the day from hell!

Long story short, on Saturday at about 1pm I had the tiniest bleed, i mean miniscule. Like if you blew your nose and there was clear fluid with a fleck of blood. This continued for about 30 mins and then stopped. I wasn't too concerned except for the fact that I'm O- so I thought I better check with the hosp if I needed an anti-d shot. They said to come in just in case so yesterday 24 hrs later in I went innocent as a lamb to slaughter.

So after sitting in emergency for 2 hrs I finally got to see a nurse who took blood ( for the anti-d lab). I thought I'd just go in and get a shot. Put a trace on the baby and checked my blood pressure temperature etc.

All fine so I thought I could go home But Now I'm 24 weeks and things are very different and any blood is an emergency. So I couldn't go with out seeing the doc who freaked me out to hell. Had to wait another hour to see him. I'm still not clear what he was on about as he wasn't Irish ( neither were the nurses) and his english wasn't very clear. I think he may have wanted to admit me ( I'm not sure) He was talking about prophallaxis? I had to have an internal and there was no woman doc available ( F***ing disgrace). He never even asked me if I'd had sex and didn't know that I'd already had a trace and given blood.

Anyway I was very upset and more or less ran out of the place. I need things explained to me or I will not cooperate. I just can't. I was feeling hysterical.

I signed the chart to say I was self discharging. And he did say there was most likely nothing wrong.

Anyhoo It's typical this happened on bank holiday weekend. I'm going to go and see my doc tommorow but is there any point in going to the semi prvate clinic in the rotunda to talk to a consultant. Can I do that? I am wary of going back to emergency but I will have to to get the anti-d shot probably tommorrow or wedenesday. I don't want to end up trying to talk to overworked over stressed strangers when I'm looking for help and reassurance!

By the way. Emergency room would terrify you. Loads of girls lying around begging for help and moaning and crying in pain and terror with no-one with them. Partners not allowed. Like hell on earth. I am so having a c-section.

Another point is that If I wasn't o- I wouldn't have gone in the first place and saved myself all this worry. WTF.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

You did the best thing by going to the hospital to get things checked!!!

You should ring the clinic in the morning and tell them that you want an appointment, explain the situation and tell them that you want to see your team.
    They have a duty to look after you.

If there is anymore bleeding, get yourself straight into the hospital though...

Try not to worry, I know it is easier said than done. I had a small bleed myself a few weeks ago.. (post coitial;)) thankfully there was nothing to worry about but, I was straight up the hospital to be checked out... better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks Quality

I will phone them in the morning and hopefully they'll either treat me or put my mind at rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Grawns - I hope you are okay now?

However I think you should have stayed in the hospital and let them check whatever they needed to check.

To be honest, having a baby is not always plesant, and it is not always dignified either. I would not worry about who was giving me an internal if it was to check that my baby was okay. It is not as if they have not seen it all before.

Ring your own doc tomorrow and tell them all about it. You might need more tests or something and it would be better to cover all bases.

As for saying you are "so having a c-section" wait and see, that is really not the easy way out - far from it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You definately did the right thing by going to the hospital to be checked out, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience tho. There really should've been a female midwife present for the internal.

Where is your placenta located do you know? And was the bleed post coital? Its very common to bleed a little after sex.

I would definately make another appointment, just to put your mind at rest. And if you were unhappy with your experience of the hospital, find out if there is a Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) to whom you can voice your complaints, its the only way to bring about changes!

As for having a C section, I wouldn't recommend it unless it was really necessary. Labour looks like a walk in the park compared to the recovery after a section. Its better for you and much better for baby to come out the way nature intended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Obsterics is so litigious that they are over caustious and interventionist - too much so.

Are you having a c-section because you are o negative? Does it have to do with a blood transfusion? Im just wondering because if you can avoid a section, it would be better. I had one and its not a walk in the park.

• Advertisement

I'm having a section cause I'm more afraid of natural childbirth than a c-section recovery. I've done a lot of research and am happy with my decision.

Hi Girls

Thanks for the support. I got to see a doc at the semi private clinic today and she gave me a quick scan and explained the notes from Sunday. It was great to talk someone in a calm environment. Essentially after 24 weeks the policy is to oberve you for 24 hrs if you've had any type of bleed. Now when I saw this doc it was more than 27hrs later so wtf!

I got my anti-d after more fun and games in the emergency room.

Bottom line me and kitten junior are fine and I will just keep my next appointment as normal but obviously if there is anymore unexplained blood I will be straight into them.

Hope everyone else is having a less eventful time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I am glad that everything is good!!!:D

Your body might be telling you to take it a bit easier...

Friday night was the first night I went out in 2 mths and I was home by 10.30! If I take it any easier I will grow cobwebs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I'm glad things look good, and that you got to speak with a healthcare provider you are comfortable with! Never knew about the 24 hours after 24 weeks thing, interesting! Take it easy for a bit anyway, won't do you any harm at all!

Did you get an anti-d shot by before this in the pregnancy? I'm O neg too, and on the second baby, so I would have thought they'd have given me a precautionary one by now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I hated every minute of my stay in the rotunda, you poor thing you must have been so upset :( at least you got your peace of mind now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I had a bleed at 27 weeks and they didn't keep me in, they said that they might though and to bring a bag just in case...

I cried lol

Glad everything is fine Grawns!

Quackles wrote: »
    I'm glad things look good, and that you got to speak with a healthcare provider you are comfortable with! Never knew about the 24 hours after 24 weeks thing, interesting! Take it easy for a bit anyway, won't do you any harm at all!

Did you get an anti-d shot by before this in the pregnancy? I'm O neg too, and on the second baby, so I would have thought they'd have given me a precautionary one by now..

That's mad quackles but I heard them chatting ( new doc to old doc) and because of the costs they only do anti-d when deemed necessary ( perhaps? 1st at 28 weeks ) rather than as routine. False economy?

She Devil wrote: »
    I hated every minute of my stay in the rotunda, you poor thing you must have been so upset :( at least you got your peace of mind now.

I'm very bold, I refused to stay!
    "I signed the chart to say I was self discharging. And he did say there was most likely nothing wrong"

Next time I will be more co-operative I hope as it was real fight or flee stuff on my part. I'm going to be such a crap patient.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

lol:)
    Glad to hear you and baby are ok:)

Advertisement