Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I played Gears of War 2...

• 27-10-2008 1:37pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... and it's as unimpressive and boring as the first.

At Gaelcon this year there were 2 display machines with GOW2 Multiplayer. Given that the rest of Gaelcon was such a MASSIVE disappointment, this is actually the only "game" I got to play.

*yawn* is all I can say. No different from the first.

I can only imagine the single player to be equally unimpressive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Kharn wrote: »

Should be good then :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I thought that's what it would be like.

I was supposed to be manning those pods but stupid injury kept me away! :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ah bummer, woulda been nice to see a friendly face :)

Didn't give Fable 2 a go, dunno if it's my sorta thing anyway.

But yea, GOW2 - looks the same as the first, felt the same, played the same. Not entirely sure why they stuck a "2" on the end of it instead of just calling it Spisode 2 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yup im another person who was majorly unimpressed by gears 1. Il give gears 2 a shout but my expectations arent that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I cant wait for Gears 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I cant wait for Gears 2.

me either. If GOW 2 is as good as GOW I'll be a happy man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

kearnsr wrote: »

Me Too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

do we get any vehicles this time.....wouldn't mind a motorbike with a chainsaw on the front...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

do we get any vehicles this time.....wouldn't mind a motorbike with a chainsaw on the front...

I like your thinking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

bout half way through at the mo and it is such fun, if ya like the first one then you'll like this one also, looks a bit prettier, the scale is on a larger level story-wise and darker with more violence. when the reviews start coming out for this in a week or so they will be top drawer.

YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!:)

• Advertisement

bout half way through at the mo and it is such fun, if ya like the first one then you'll like this one also, looks a bit prettier, the scale is on a larger level story-wise and darker with more violence. when the reviews start coming out for this in a week or so they will be top drawer.

Where did you get a copy, do you get to drive anyting:confused:

I'm holding out for the limited edition, I heard you get a gold lancer for use online with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

said it a few weeks ago when i first got to play it, its gears 1 with a flamethrower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,620 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i dont know about that

i find it a so so game

not a 10/10 game more like a 8.5/10

the enemies and allies AI is crap

total crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Wasn't impressed with the first one. Will definitely give this one a miss. Too many other good games coming out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

kearnsr wrote: »

Have to agree, I did think Gow sucked, but the co-op is good, and once I played that, I really loved it.

Whole weekend set aside for GOW2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Vyse wrote: »
    Wasn't impressed with the first one. Will definitely give this one a miss. Too many other good games coming out.

There's nothing else decent out for the 360 after GoW2 this year except maybe Red Alert 3, well for me anyway. All the big games are out except Fallout 3. What else is there beside World at war and Left 4 Dead which don't look like decent games in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

i was excited about gears of war and then two things happened.

1: EPIC and cliffy B ramming gears down or knecks and constantly telling us how its the 2nd comming of christ. They really are pushing the limits of good taste with the crap they come out with,i just watced a spot n ign where cliffy was telling me how gears 2 was a piece of art and the Gears could be a platform on its own .......... he seems to think the rip off of terrorist hunt ''horde'' is going to change my life.

2:Fable 2. It just raised the bar on what i expect from a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

RAIN wrote: »
    i was excited about gears of war and then two things happened.

1: EPIC and cliffy B ramming gears down or knecks and constantly telling us how its the 2nd comming of christ. They really are pushing the limits of good taste with the crap they come out with,i just watced a spot n ign where cliffy was telling me how gears 2 was a piece of art and the Gears could be a platform on its own .......... he seems to think the rip off of terrorist hunt ''horde'' is going to change my life.

2:Fable 2. It just raised the bar on what i expect from a game.

I'd rather have Cliffy B than that twat Peter Molyneux. Arrogance beats self deprecation in my eyes.

I liked the first game, if the second is much the same with a better multiplayer then I'll be loving this. What are people expecting from GOW2? The interactive storytelling of a game like Silent Hill 2? It's just an in your face shooter with, from what I've seen, some massive set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

rizzla wrote: »
    I'd rather have Cliffy B than that twat Peter Molyneux. Arrogance beats self deprecation in my eyes.

I liked the first game, if the second is much the same with a better multiplayer then I'll be loving this. What are people expecting from GOW2? The interactive storytelling of a game like Silent Hill 2? It's just an in your face shooter with, from what I've seen, some massive set pieces.

I was just talking about the hype machine.Its doing the opisite of getting me excited is what i ment. I still loved gears one because it was my first xbox 360 game and live co op was super fun and still is. Il be getting gears but not till im done with fable and i think thats a result of having the game rammed down my kneck it feels like the game has allready been played for me i just need to show up and give them my money. Seems like every major surprise has been put into a vid doc or preview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Gears of War was not for me so I wont be picking this up I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Kharn wrote: »

At Gaelcon this year there were 2 display machines with GOW2 Multiplayer. Given that the rest of Gaelcon was such a MASSIVE disappointment, this is actually the only "game" I got to play.

*yawn* is all I can say. No different from the first.

I can only imagine the single player to be equally unimpressive.

I haven't played multiplay, and i wasn't a fan of Gears 1. But I've finished gears 2 and its one of the best games I've played in ages. A big step up from the first game. Graphics are top, the way liquids work are amazing, blood stains your player, from head to toe. Environments can be destroyed. And you take on armies of locusts at a time instead of 3 or 4 at a time like gears 1. Loads of giant bosses. You get to drive tanks, and many other things( don't want to spoil it by going into details). But lets say its like a 10 hour movie. Can't praise it enough.

But as I said multiplayer I haven't tried. But wasn't a fan of it in gears 1 either due to the community. And the achievement whores and host advantage.

All of these games to come this year which I think look good.

Legendary
    Call of duty 5
    Mirrors edge
    Mortal Kombat V DC
    Left 4 dead
    Lips
    The last Remnant
    Prince of Persia ( for me looking like the best game ever)
    Streetfighter 2 HD
    Streetfighter 4
    Teken 6 (not sure if its this year)

And already leaked on the net the new bond game Quantum of Solace

ROC1977 wrote: »
    You get to drive tanks, and many other things

But as I said multiplayer I haven't tried. But wasn't a fan of it in gears 1 either due to the community. And the achievement whores and host advantage.

Lethal.....can't wait to squish a few guys in the tank......

The multiplayer is brilliant, best multiplayer game ever, I think a lot of people were turned off by the sheer difficulty, if your upgainst good players (pro's and amatures are thrown into the same game)
    If you come up against me i'll completly murder you continously, I can see how this is off putting....

tmoredeath....

Thats not what I'm saying. Gears multiplayer was designed to be a team game. But in reality all it was was a lot of brats crying coz you stole their kill. All I ever hear on it is " hey I downed him. That was my kill" or "I want the sniper whhhaghhhh!!! or the best one is when people complain they you used the chainsaw on them, can call you a noob.

And it doesn't matter how good someone is, the host has a massive advantage.

But your right when I get into a room where everyone plays nothing but gears, I tend to die a lot. I never bothered to learn all the glitches or bad collision detection. And shot guts is just a flip of a coin, kill or be killed. Not saying the multiplayer can't be fun, but for me there are better games for multiplayer. Maybe coz I'm a bit of an older gamer, I'm not into 12 year old kids screaming abuse down my head set. Games like GRAW 2 are much better team based multiplayer games in my eyes.
    most of the people who play gears 1 online aren't even old enough to buy the game! lol

But everyone to their own I guess.

Lethal.....can't wait to squish a few guys in the tank......

The multiplayer is brilliant, best multiplayer game ever, I think a lot of people were turned off by the sheer difficulty, if your upgainst good players (pro's and amatures are thrown into the same game)
    If you come up against me i'll completly murder you continously, I can see how this is off putting....

tmoredeath....

what modes (capture the flag, team death match, free for all etc etc) were in the original games multiplayer?

Nothing like that bud, just two modes I think. Both death matches of sorts .Assassination and execution. Assassination, basic death match, the other you have to kill at close range i.e curb stomp their head. Oh ya then anix (don't know if thats right!!?) Didn't really play that mode much, and not even sure what it was about again. I think it was defending zones.

Gears 2 has more less the same, but another new mode where all players play on the same team and have to survive way apon wave of locust for as long as possible.

But basically none of the usual say COD type multiplayer.

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Nothing like that bud, just two modes I think. Both death matches of sorts .Assassination and execution. Assassination, basic death match, the other you have to kill at close range i.e curb stomp their head. Oh ya then anix (don't know if thats right!!?) Didn't really play that mode much, and not even sure what it was about again. I think it was defending zones.

Gears 2 has more less the same, but another new mode where all players play on the same team and have to survive way apon wave of locust for as long as possible.

But basically none of the usual say COD type multiplayer.

Yeah I thought there was only 1 or 2 multiplayer modes and wondered a bit about that.

More of a realistic damage fan myself (hardcore team death match in CoD4 or games like AA) don't like games where it takes a full clip of ammo to put a guy down.

your forgetting about Annex....i call it home:)

No I just didn't spell it right. I said anix!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Have it myself. if anyone wants to help me do the co-op online send me a pm!

Advertisement