Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo named FIFPro World player of the year

• 27-10-2008 2:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Just breaking on SSN

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any online sources for this story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

FifPro World XI

Casillas

----Ramos
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Puyol--

Xavi
    Kaka

Gerrard

Messi
    Torres
    Ronaldo

Kaka and Puyol shouldn't really be there. Although I guess Puyol is there more because of Euro 2008, in which case It'd make more sense to replace Terry with him and put in Evra/ Clichy. Puyol is most definitely not a RB.

Not alot of balance in midfield either, I'd replace Kaka with Fabregas or Carrick, a good balanced central midfielder anyway.

Cant argue with the front 4 really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Terry, Ramos, Puyol and Kaka shouldn't be anywhere near that team.

Cesc should be in along side Xavi, although i guess i can understand his exclusion due to his drop in form at the end of the season.

at least one of Clichy/Evra should be in that team. I'd even throw Sagna in there as i think last season he was the best RB in the world, although i'm sure plenty would disagree with me.

at least Carvalho and Vidic would be ahead of Terry imo.

not sure on Gerrard either, i would have thought there were better players over the year for his position (although now that i've written that i'm struggling to name any, perhaps Hleb but his lack of final product probably keeps him out, Iniesta is another maybe, but all he really did was in Euro 2008 and even then he wasn't fantastic, so i'll keep Gerrard in).

Hleb? Hahah, Gerrard scored 20 goals and got something like 17 assists last season. His inclusion is absolutely merited imo.

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hleb? Hahah, Gerrard scored 20 goals and got something like 17 assists last season. His inclusion is absolutely merited.

yeah, but Hleb started almost every Arsenal attack last season and was a lot more consistent than Gerrard with his overall performances. his contribution to Arsenal last year was seriously underrated by all and sundry. the talk was all about Cesc and Ade, but Hleb was often just as influential if not more so to their performances.

Gerrard goes missing in matches far too often imo for him to be included. he often scored the goal that got pool the point or whatever, but what people forget is that it was usually his non-performance that led them to going behind in the first place. exceptionally wasteful player on the ball at times.

Hleb is brilliant up until the box though then he disappears, Iniesta is similar, but imo is a much more complete player and was better than him last season. I can't really think of someone who was better than Gerrard in the role last season, Sneijder was up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

About time someone in the prem won the world player. how henry never won it baffles me.

About time someone in the prem won the world player. how henry never won it baffles me.

because he didn't win the Champions League is my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

This isnt the actual Fifa World Player of the year is it?

Fifpro is something different right?

:S

• Advertisement

Bill wrote: »
    This isnt the actual Fifa World Player of the year is it?

Fifpro is something different right?

:S

FIFpro is the international federation of professional footballers or something like that. basically it's the global equivalent PFA awards i.e. chosen by the footballers themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

he should win all the awards tbh. nobody else did anything like he did in football last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    he should win all the awards tbh. nobody else did anything like he did in football last year.
    Again I jump in and say that imo if Wayne Rooney did not play last year, United would have won nothing. He was an integral part of everything they did well. I'm not saying that they would have been as successful without Ronaldo's goals but I do think that the loss of Rooney would be a far bigger problem for United than the loss of Ronaldo. Therefore I think Rooney was the best United player last year. As a matter of fact I thought he was the best European player last year.
    As far as world player goes, its just like the American awards, its the best in the world when its really only the best European club footballer. Nobody ever gets it if they play in Argentina or Brazil. There are plenty of players playing in those two leagues who would be good enough to be at least considered for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

eagle eye wrote: »
    Again I jump in and say that imo if Wayne Rooney did not play last year, United would have won nothing. He was an integral part of everything they did well. I'm not saying that they would have been as successful without Ronaldo's goals but I do think that the loss of Rooney would be a far bigger problem for United than the loss of Ronaldo. Therefore I think Rooney was the best United player last year. As a matter of fact I thought he was the best European player last year.
    As far as world player goes, its just like the American awards, its the best in the world when its really only the best European club footballer. Nobody ever gets it if they play in Argentina or Brazil. There are plenty of players playing in those two leagues who would be good enough to be at least considered for the team.
    Won of the very few times I agree with you on something , good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

eagle eye wrote: »
    mainly for the fact he was crap in front of goal way too often, i would have to disagree.

Advertisement