Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cliftonville V Linfield Match Thread

• 27-10-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Live on Sky SPorts, KO 7.30. Horrible weather in Belfast, lets hope the game goes ahead.

Come on you Reds....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Who cares tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Who cares tbh

why did you waste your time and bandwith with that contribution? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Cause it was probably worth pointing out that this is a candidate for most unneccessary thread ever...

Who gives a fcuk?? If it was Setanta Cup final or something maybe but ffs, nobody even comments on Irish League matches on Boards.

BTW the weather is fine at the moment although forcast isn't great.

trust me, some of the threads on overseas football are a thousand times less interesting and relevant than this. I point to the Woodgate thread today. So what? Its still boards.ie and its a game being played in Ireland so has more justification to be here than 90% of whats posted.

The fact that people opened a thread specifically to comment that they are not interested in the thread is trolling and if the mods were in any way evenhanded....

If anyone is interested, the game is live on the box and is always a fiery affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Im with ONYD on this one.

While personally i'm not overly fussed about this game, it still counts as one of the major Derby matches on that small piece of land that the majority of Boards.ie users live on.

Why is there a problem with starting a thread on it?

I've seen threads started on this forum because George Best's mother/auntie/next door neighbour died, it might be worth pointing out that he was from the same city as this game.

Its a strange phenomenon that i have never seen in any other country, but for some reason football players dont seem to qualify as Irish enough to talk about untill they play in England, or for Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Very important game for Linfield, they're 6 points behind Glens with 2 games in hand, but they'll want to win to stay in touch. Hopefully Linfield will get hammered :D (unlikely I know)

They aren't Irish clubs though. They're Northern Irish

Just like Derry City?

I never did understand why Derry are in the LOI. Can anyone please explain it or is there nothing to it? Sorry if I'm being an idiot about this btw :D

I hope to god you are fishing

• Advertisement

I never did understand why Derry are in the LOI. Can anyone please explain it or is there nothing to it? Sorry if I'm being an idiot about this btw :D

TBH i'm not entirely sure how it works, why it's allowed.

But it does show that there are lot more connections between Northern Ireland and the Republic than is generally given time on this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Read up on the history of this Island

Eirebear wrote: »
    TBH i'm not entirely sure how it works, why it's allowed.

But it does show that there are lot more connections between Northern Ireland and the Republic than is generally given time on this board.

Its a sorry state of affairs when a current bun is arguing the unitary Irish line with some teenage herbert from Dublin. ;)

I blame Bebo.

Its a sorry state of affairs when a current bun is arguing the unitary Irish line with some teenage herbert from Dublin. ;)

I blame Bebo.

On this forum i'll keep it purely football, but theres more than meets the eye to this bluenose buddy. ;)

On this forum i'll keep it purely football, but theres more than meets the eye to this bluenose buddy. ;)

you are either deeeeeeep undercover or as confused as this guy....

B00049QQJ6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D:D

lol, not confused at all.

I just simply have the ability to separate sport, religion and politics. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Sorry, didnt see this.

I suspect a Cliftonville win in this one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Not 100% percent sure but i think Derry used to play in the league in northern ireland but were expelled in the 70's and joined the LOI in the 80's. I think they were expelled over the Troubles given they had a mostly nationalist following.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

To think that threads on the squad for the English National side get pages and pages and people are complaiining about a match in Ireland???

Come on the Reds by the way!

So..........what was the score?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Last time i check it was 4 nill , switched it off then. to Linfield

another edit : why oh why is there two thread on this game
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055407053

Sarge wrote: »
    another edit : why oh why is there two thread on this game
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055407053

Because the person who started the second one, didnt see this one....why is it so bizzare that people are actually interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Incase you haven't been arsed to use Google, Derry City got kicked out of the Irish League in the 80's because of trouble at the Brandywell on match days and then they ended up in the League of Ireland to cut a long story short.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There wikipedia entry is quite interesting, this is just some of it.

Founded in 1928, the club decided against using the official title of the city — Londonderry — in their name,[3] while also deciding against continuing the name of the city's previous main club, Derry Celtic, so as to be more inclusive to all football fans in the city.[4][5][6] Derry City were granted entry into the Irish League in 1929 as professionals and were given permission by the Londonderry Corporation to use the municipal Brandywell Stadium.[4] The club's first significant success came in 1935 when they lifted the City Cup.[7] They repeated the feat in 1937, but did not win another major trophy until 1949, when they beat Glentoran to win their first Irish Cup.[8] They won the Irish Cup for a second time in 1954, beating Glentoran again,[9] and for a third time in 1964 — that year also winning the Gold Cup — despite the club's conversion to part-time status after the abolishment of the maximum wage in 1961. This led to the club's first entry into European competition, in the 1964–65 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup, in which they were beaten by Steaua Bucharest 5–0 on aggregate.[10] The club won the 1964–65 Irish League and subsequently became the first Irish League team to win a European tie over two legs, beating FK Lyn 8–6 on aggregate in the 1965–66 European Cup.[11] Derry did not complete the next round, as the Irish Football Association (IFA) declared their ground as not up to standard,[4] even though a game had been played there during the previous round. Derry suspected sectarian motives,[12] as they played in a mainly nationalist city and so had come to be supported largely by Catholics. The IFA, Belfast-based, was a cultural focal point of Protestant Northern Ireland and it was widely suspected that it would rather have been represented by a traditionally unionist team.[13][14] Relations between the club and IFA quickly deteriorated.[15]

There had been no significant history of sectarian difficulties at matches in the first 40 years of the club's history, but in 1969 the Civil Rights campaign against Northern Ireland's government disintegrated into communal violence, ushering in 30 years of the Troubles.[16] Despite the social and political unrest, Derry still managed to perform, reaching the Irish Cup final in 1971, in which they were beaten 3–0 by Distillery.[17] As the republican locality surrounding the Brandywell saw some of the worst violence, numerous unionist-supported clubs were reluctant to play there. The Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) ruled the zone unsafe for fixtures and with the use of no other local ground feasible, Derry had to travel to the majority unionist town of Coleraine, over 30 miles (48 km) away, to play their "home" games at the Showgrounds. This situation lasted from September 1971 until October 1972 when, faced with dwindling crowds (most Derry fans were unwilling to travel to Coleraine due to the political situation and the longer journey) and dire finances, the club formally requested permission to return to the Brandywell. Despite a new assessment by the security forces concluding that the Brandywell was no longer any more dangerous than any other league ground and a lifting of the security ban, football rivalries were seen as echoing of the wider sectarian nature of Northern Irish society and Derry's proposal fell by one vote at the hands of their fellow Irish League teams.[16] Continuing without a ground was seen as unsustainable and on Friday 13 October 1972 Derry withdrew from the league amidst a perception that they were effectively forced out while a complex of victimisation and marginalisation developed within the nationalist community behind the club.[4][18][19]

The club continued as a junior team during the 13-year long "wilderness years", playing in the local Saturday morning league, and sought re-admission to the Irish League.[18] Each time, the club nominated the Brandywell as its chosen home-ground but the Irish League refused re-admission. Suspecting refusal was driven by sectarianism,[12] and believing they would never gain re-admission, Derry turned their attentions elsewhere.[16

To think that threads on the squad for the English National side get pages and pages and people are complaiining about a match in Ireland???

Come on the Reds by the way!

Welcome to the bords.ie football forum - where with no sense of irony people can come onto the forum and complain that Irish football is being discussed.

Go onto one of the foreign team threads and start a 'who cares' campaign. See how long you last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I never did understand why Derry are in the LOI

Why are Donegal Celtic in the NI one? Does it really matter?
    I blame Bebo.

I just read this and I agree. I dont know what exactly bebo its getting blamed for but it probably is in the wrong. I hate bebo!

Trilla wrote: »
    Why are Donegal Celtic in the NI one?

!

Because theyre a Belfast team.....? ;)

Because theyre a Belfast team.....? ;)

I never knew that tbh, I thought they just played there the past few years and that they were originally from Donegal.

"the club actually takes its name from streets in its locality, which are named after towns in County Donegal" for those like me who didnt know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

29 posts on this thread before this post, only five referred to the match/ thread title. Looks like nobody really cared after all.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    29 posts on this thread before this post, only five referred to the match/ thread title. Looks like nobody really cared after all.

Probably lost interest when Linfield went 4 up after 40mins or so

Can't wait for the thread on Northern Ireland vs Hungary in November. Should be a cracking read. Could talk about why Paddy McCourt bothered to declare for them and why Darron Gibson plays for Republic...........................

Football in Northern Ireland might as well be on a seperate planet to Ireland. They don't see themselves as being Irish and most people from the Republic identify very little with those from Northern Ireland.

At the best of times it can be hard to get a few decent threads on LOI football never mind NI league...

ibh wrote: »

Football in Northern Ireland might as well be on a seperate planet to Ireland. They don't see themselves as being Irish and most people from the Republic identify very little with those from Northern Ireland.

I dare you to say that to a Cliftonville, Donegal Celtic or Newry town fan...

If you haven't a clue, try not to make generalised and ignorant statements like that

I dare you to say that to a Cliftonville, Donegal Celtic or Newry town fan...

If you haven't a clue, try not to make generalised and ignorant statements like that

Those fans are very much in the minority. How many years have you spent living in NI and attending matches???
    Northern Ireland soccer has, in general a support base that is tilted towards the unionist community, therefore the majority of soccer fans in NI do not see themselves as being Irish.

Can't wait for the thread on Northern Ireland vs Hungary in November. Should be a cracking read. Could talk about why Paddy McCourt bothered to declare for them and why Darron Gibson plays for Republic...........................

At the best of times it can be hard to get a few decent threads on LOI football never mind NI league...

So where would have been the harm in just letting the thread slip down the pages and disapear?

For some reason a couple of people took offence to the fact that the thread was "unnecessary".
    The last time i checked this was a football forum yes?

So surely if someone wants to start a thread on a football match taking place a few miles up the road then they have every right?
    What gives people the right to tell them that the match they want to talk about doesnt deserve the respect and attention of the forum?

Sometimes the snobbery on this board makes me laugh.

Those fans are very much in the minority. How many years have you spent living in NI and attending matches???
    Northern Ireland soccer has, in general a support base that is tilted towards the unionist community, therefore the majority of soccer fans in NI do not see themselves as being Irish.

you have gone from all to most in the space of a thread. still doesn't explain why you went to the effort to tell me I should not be interested in a game in Belfast.

kids today, not a clue.

as for the game, there should have been about 15 red cards, it was a bloodbath. but linfield could defend. that was the difference.

• Advertisement

you have gone from all to most in the space of a thread. still doesn't explain why you went to the effort to tell me I should not be interested in a game in Belfast.

kids today, not a clue.

as for the game, there should have been about 15 red cards, it was a bloodbath. but linfield could defend. that was the difference.

I never said you shouldn't be interested in the game, i just wondered why the interest when week in week out the fixtures are ignored.
    I didn;t intend to refer to all the people of Northern Ireland when i referred to 'them'. I was meaning the large majority of people who attend NI games. Didn't make myself clear.

For some reason a couple of people took offence to the fact that the thread was "unnecessary".
    The last time i checked this was a football forum yes?

So surely if someone wants to start a thread on a football match taking place a few miles up the road then they have every right?
    What gives people the right to tell them that the match they want to talk about doesnt deserve the respect and attention of the forum?

Sometimes the snobbery on this board makes me laugh.

No offence taken to thread being started. I just don't know why it was started when the league is ignored on here from start to finish pretty much every year.
    I would have no objections to people discussing NI league games if they did it week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

They don't see themselves as being Irish

Many of "them" see "themselves" as being both Irish and British. There are and have been plenty of tribal problems on this island which have infested sport, religion and politics but on the ground people are just people. There's an awful lot of ignorance around though.

I was on a pub crawl around Queens University a few months back. Passed a Linfield supporters club and had to go in for a pint:eek:. Was very nervous but figured I was with a decent group. No problems, the same as any other rough pub. We didn't act the bollix. I probably won't go back there but I was happy that my irrational fears were ill-founded.

Sad but true that IFA football is more about politics than sport for me. Even though I'm not a big fan, I think the Setanta Cup is helping to break down some of the ignorance and misunderstandings between football fans north and south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Who gives a flying ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

No offence taken to thread being started. I just don't know why it was started when the league is ignored on here from start to finish pretty much every year.
    Because Linfield usually have the title wrapped up by Halloween.

djpbarry wrote: »
    Who gives a flying ****?

The implication being that discussing non-Irish or unionist sides is taboo on here. But with no sense of irony he will post about Chelsea, Rangers, Engerland etc.

Bizarre.

• Advertisement

The implication being that discussing non-Irish or unionist sides is taboo on here. But with no sense of irony he will post about Chelsea, Rangers, Engerland etc.

Bizarre.

Taboo?? WTF are you on about?

There would be no irony whatsoever if i were to post on a thread referring to an English team. I am neither a unionist or Nationaist so i think you'll find i'm a neutral. Spent time living in both ROI and NI, and attended Irish League matches for a while as well. So nothing bizarre abou it..

I was questioning why the game was getting the attention it was, mostly because i had a feeling it had something to do with it being between the biggest Catholic and biggest Protestant teams in NI.
    Obviously i'm wrong. People are just interested in what is going on in the league up North.....

Advertisement