Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How out of touch can ya be ?

Options
  • 27-10-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

BBC apoligises over Brand joke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7692911.stm

Just reading about the antics of Brand and Ross in leaving lewd comments on Andrew Sachs answer phone re- his grandaughter you have to ask who do these idiots think they are ?.How low do you need to go for cheap laugh just to up the ratings ? .You may or may not be a fan of Brand (or Ross ) but this is just the latest in his schoolboy pranks that would have got anybody else a hefty fine ot at worse a jail sentence.This comes on brands other recent gaffs were he made hoax call to the police during a stage show in Northampton and the Americans are not to fond of him for his comments about George Bush at a live tv ceremony (even if many might agree with him ) .But another apology gets him of the hook .Now i like the J Ross show and watch it every week but he had the the king of swear words , Gorden Ramsey on the other week ,alongside another fan of the F word ,Ricky Gervais and between them it seemed a competition to see who could out swear the other using the F word ( ok, ramsey surprisingly was not as bad as the other two on the night ) .

Another thing i noticed is that Ross always in his attempt at humor ( and he can be quite humouress at times ) using the softest targets at times for a laugh like quote - '' watch all the single mothers from basingstoke adapting this next week blah blah '' or such like .Now he uses the ' single mothers buttom quite a lot which makes one wonder has he got a bee in his bonnet about this section of society cos he refers to them a lot . As somebody said last week , using the F word constantly is the quickest and cheapest way to score points and doesnt always make for good viewing but every buggers doing it now :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm not surprised by these two tools at all these days. On the one hand you've got Russell Brand who either won't STFU until he eventually says something mildly funny or resorts to crap like this for for shock laughs.

On the other hand you've got Jonathon Ross who can be funny but resorts too many times to his swearing lisp to get the laughs. And his style of presenting demands centre stage, he constantly tries to upstage his guests with his dumb innuendo and "witty" banter.

Two ridiculously overhyped personalities who wouldn't be able to conduct an interesting interview with a celebrity if it was put on the plate for them (think Kerry Katona).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Red-B

I think people are making a bit too much out of this. Fair enough, they did something stupid and offensive on air, but how many comedians out there get their jokes from other people's misfortunes, AND get away with it. I mean did anyone see Tommy Tiernan on The Late Late Show last Friday night? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his, but did he not have the audience in tears laughing at his comments about blind itinerants and the mentally handicapped?

This kind of thing happens every day and if we're all going to go crazy about it (like the 10,000 people complaining to the BBC) well then we really need to cop on. There are more important things to be worrying about in the world.

I can happily say that I will still be a huge fan of Jonathon Ross and will continue to watch his fantastic Friday Night show every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I dont think it's a question of ones tastes in comedy but a question of 'Taste ' as in were do we draw the boundries as to what is funny /comical and obscene ? These are two higlhy paid (over paid ) individuals who used the public airways with a listenrship of millions , to leave lewd remarks on a private individuals answer phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't know what is the bigger crime - the phone calls or the fact that the twat Brand is beng paid 6 million!
    He shouldn't be paid 10p. He's as funny as Mary Harney!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Biggins wrote: »
    I don't know what is the bigger crime - the phone calls or the fact that the twat Brand is beng paid 6 million!
    He shouldn't be paid 10p. He's as funny as Mary Harney!

That Brand twat only gets a mere £200,000. It's that Ross twat who gets the six million. You're mixing your twats up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And the J Ross show seems more about J Ross than his guests who apart from stevie wonder.

I loved it last week when Tony curtis who was in mid sentence, said quick as a flash to Ross, who tried to cut across, ' dont cut me off ' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Apparently she's since admitted that she did sleep with Brand.

Ross used to crank call a place i worked in. The Sachs incident was relatively highbrow compared to the cliched infantile nonsense he'd drop on us.

*Allegedly*, when Dara O'Briain appeared on his show, he put on an exaggerated Irish accent in an attempt to mock him. After O'Briain pointed out that if were Indian he wouldn't dare put on an exaggerated Indian accent. Ross shut up pretty quickly, and the incident was conveniently edited out.

Would make little difference if BBC did fire them. Another TV channel/Radio channel would be quick enough to offer them a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Red-B wrote: »
    I think people are making a bit too much out of this. Fair enough, they did something stupid and offensive on air, but how many comedians out there get their jokes from other people's misfortunes, AND get away with it. I mean did anyone see Tommy Tiernan on The Late Late Show last Friday night? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of his, but did he not have the audience in tears laughing at his comments about blind itinerants and the mentally handicapped?

No, the silence was deafening.

I can't say I'm surprised by this really, kind of what you expect from Russell Brand. The only thing I find surprising is that Andrew Sachs granddaughter (and hundreds of other women) did actually sleep with Brand.

xanthor wrote: »

By the balls I hope. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it's rather pathetic how people are crying over this.

I think it's rather pathetic how people are crying over this.

I don't think that most people give a toss. They're just enjoying themselves trying to topple a couple of celebrities. Imagine the people queuing up to do the same, were someone like Pat Kenny to involve himself in something similar here (not that he ever would).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand have been suspended in the wake of the controversy over their lewd calls to Fawlty Towers star Andrew Sachs, the BBC said today.

BBC Director General Mark Thompson has also apologised to Mr Sachs for the calls which he said had caused “severe offence”.

The BBC has received more than 10,000 complaints since the broadcast, which has also prompted an official investigation from media watchdog Ofcom and drawn widespread condemnation from a range of figures including the British Prime Minister.

So Jonathan Ross's tv show is cancelled????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd say this weeks has anyway, it's usually recorded on a thursday night, so i can't see them allowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Red-B wrote: »

This kind of thing happens every day and if we're all going to go crazy about it (like the 10,000 people complaining to the BBC) well then we really need to cop on. There are more important things to be worrying about in the world.

I can happily say that I will still be a huge fan of Jonathon Ross and will continue to watch his fantastic Friday Night show every week.

You wont unfortunately be watching his fantastic show every week beacause it has now been suspended,

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That Brand twat only gets a mere £200,000. It's that Ross twat who gets the six million. You're mixing your twats up.

He's not mixing them up he's dead on, Brand does end up 6 million a year,

Ross is comin out 18 million pounds a year

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-389872/Ross-highest-paid-presenter-BBC-woo-18m-deal.html

Horgan wrote: »
    He's not mixing them up he's dead on, Brand does end up 6 million a year,

Ross is comin out 18 million pounds a year

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-389872/Ross-highest-paid-presenter-BBC-woo-18m-deal.html

I never mix up my twats. :P

18 million over 3 years = 6 million per annum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3275850/Jonathan-Ross-and-Russell-Brand-Gordon-Brown-demands-action-from-BBC.html

"Ross is on an £18 million three year contract, the highest in the history of the BBC, while Brand receives £200,000 a year for his weekly radio show."

I didn't realise his contract was up next year.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I never mix up my twats. :P

18 million over 3 years = 6 million per annum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/3275850/Jonathan-Ross-and-Russell-Brand-Gordon-Brown-demands-action-from-BBC.html

"Ross is on an £18 million three year contract, the highest in the history of the BBC, while Brand receives £200,000 a year for his weekly radio show."

Ha, My mistake, you sure do know your twats!!!!

Ha, My mistake, you sure do know your twats!!!!

I've worked for enough of them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

JP Liz wrote: »
    So Jonathan Ross's tv show is cancelled????

JP Liz, what is it that you're not getting about the requirement to post your sources for stories? We've asked you time and time again to post sources. Just copy and paste the link from the webpage where you read it. This is the last warning I'm going to give.

I'm delighted that the two of them got what was coming to them. It may be only short-term, but maybe it will be enough to persuade the two of them to actually improve their craft beyond the deployment of shock tactics.

I was more inclined to see Ross as having done it deliberately because his contact with the BBC is up next year. Channel 4 offered him more money than the BBC last time around.... My guess is they'd probably be more happy to let him away with this sort of behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Great to the see the level Boards is at with all these witch hunters. This whole thing was the invention of the Daily Mail and its readership.

Great to the see the level Boards is at with all these witch hunters. This whole thing was the invention of the Daily Mail and its readership.

9/10 I would agree in regards to tabloid spin, but Brand and Ross cannot look beyond themselves when it comes to who is to blame. It's simply out of order to ring someone and tell him in front of a wide audience listening (and now a whole lot more more due to the bad publicity) that Brand porked his granddaughter and furthermore, laughing at and taking the piss out of him over it. It's downright wide scale humiliation for the guy, his granddaughter and his family.

The grand daughter is delighted. She is launching her career with this one and already has made plenty of cash. Manuel himself gave the producer the OK to air the recordings so he can have no complaints.

Middle England just feels like putting the boot into two comedy clowns that they feel get paid too much.

The grand daughter is delighted. She is launching her career with this one and already has made plenty of cash. Manuel himself gave the producer the OK to air the recordings so he can have no complaints.

Middle England just feels like putting the boot into two comedy clowns that they feel get paid too much.
    The BBC suffered another blow when Mr Sachs denied he had approved the broadcast of the offending material. Mr Sachs said: "The producer called me on my mobile to ask whether they could play the recording out. The signal was poor and I couldn't really hear what was being played down the line to me. "But I asked whether they would consider allowing me to come in the following week and then the recorded segment would not have to be included."

The request by Mr Sachs was ignored by the BBC and what happened next will form the crux of the internal investigation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/3278635/Jonathan-Ross-and-Russell-Brand-suspended-by-BBC-over-Andrew-Sachs-calls.html

Direct Quote from Sachs.

Unless Max Clifford has the spinning ability that Paris Hilton's team had after her sex tape, I doubt Sach's granddaughter is going to get a career out of this.

That sounds like bs from him. The grand daughter has already made a years wage if not more with her Sun exclusive.

He says he couldn't here the material down the line yet he had the messages on his phone.

I agree " poor signal" excuse sounds a bit flaky,

• Advertisement

That sounds like bs from him. The grand daughter has already made a years wage if not more with her Sun exclusive.

He says he couldn't here the material down the line yet he had the messages on his phone.

It sounds like bs....what are you saying here? That Sachs was a willing participator in this debacle? He just sat down one day trying to figure out how he could get his granddaughter some publicity and came to the stunning conclusion that he should sound out Brand and Ross to talk of her sexual exploits? It doesn't make any sense for Sachs to lie.

And just because she got an article with the Sun and a bit of cash doesn't mean she will have a prolonged career. Look at Naomi Campbell's former PA, she cashed in on the death of Heath Ledger but I doubt she has built up any kind of client list with the publicity. I guess Sach's granddaughter is just making the best of an embarassing situation for her and her whole family.

Advertisement