Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C1 theory test

• 27-10-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi Im 20 and have held my full B licence since january jsut wondering if I can actually apply for my C1 provisional at my age and experience. Also whats the story with these certificates of cmpetency now? Do I need one before I can get a provisional or is it before I get the full licence.
    Also where can I find the rules of the road that are specific to trucks
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi Im 20 and have held my full B licence since january jsut wondering if I can actually apply for my C1 provisional at my age and experience
    You must first pass a C/C1/EC/EC1 Theory Test. You may then apply for a C1 Learner Permit.

(Why not apply for a category C Learner Permit and apply for a category C test. If you pass you will get C1 automatically and be licenced to drive any rigid truck rather than ones with a DGVW of 7,500kgs or less?)

Also whats the story with these certificates of cmpetency now? Do I need one before I can get a provisional or is it before I get the full licence.
    Presumably you are referring to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competency. It's in for buses at the moment but not for trucks until September 2009.

Also where can I find the rules of the road that are specific to trucks
    Thanks
    The rules of the road generally apply to all vehicles but there are some restrictions which apply to trucks. It's all covered in the Theory Test book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

You mean i dont have to hold a C1 first? Are you sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You mean i dont have to hold a C1 first? Are you sure?
    100% sure.

A person with a full Category B Licence may apply for a Category C Learner Permit/test.

Similarly, they can also apply for a Category D (rather than a D1).

I've met several people who didn't know this and wasted time and money doing the 'lesser' category first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tedser

thats great info i didnt know that either cheers,whats the steps to applying for a c licence and what do u need,,,medical, eye test, or what,,,,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

tedser wrote: »
    whats the steps to applying for a c licence and what do u need,,,medical, eye test, or what,,,,?

I would love to know this too as I am in almost exact same situ .... I have a B licence and have just passed the D theory test. Do I need to get an eye test & medical to apply for D permit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

ok..... I was on the phone to the motor tax office and this is what I got:

If you have a B licence, and you are applying for C or D, then you DO need a Medical Cert but you DO NOT need an eye sight test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

That is because the eye test is included in the medical cert.

When you get the medical cert the doctor may tick the box that says it is valid for 10 years. This means you will not have to get another medical if you then go for a different category within the 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Can anyone recommend a book to study for the theory test.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The official Theory Test Book is what you need, most book shops stock it. I'd recommend the CD-Rom because it has all the questions you'll be asked in exam form. Don't sweat though because I found it easier than the Car theory?

Faith+1 wrote: »
    The official Theory Test Book is what you need, most book shops stock it. I'd recommend the CD-Rom because it has all the questions you'll be asked in exam form. Don't sweat though because I found it easier than the Car theory?

Cheers for that.

I found a llink on the theory test website which has a whole bank of questions, would this do? I would buy the CD but I'm a bit short of cash at the moment. Thanks

http://www.theorytest.ie/english/cpc/CPC-multiple-choice.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Cheers for that.

I found a llink on the theory test website which has a whole bank of questions, would this do? I would buy the CD but I'm a bit short of cash at the moment. Thanks

http://www.theorytest.ie/english/cpc/CPC-multiple-choice.pdf
    That's the questions and case studies for the CPC tests, if you haven't got your Learner Permit yet these are no use to you.

Another thing you mentioned, OP, is your age. I'm 20 myself and I've my truck test next week. You are old enough for a truck licence, you've only to be 18 for that, but for the bus you'll have to be 21.

The main issue with age is not licensing, but in finding work. There's a loophole in the equality legislation that lets them get away with discrimination on the basis of age if it's for insurance reasons. (If you want more detail on this point, I can send you the link.) You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere, even work experience or voluntary work, who'll take you on before you're 25, because of the hassle of putting you on the insurance.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't talk you out of getting the licence - sure I'm doing it myself! That way by the time you're 25 they'll have no excuse not to hire you, and hopefully it wont even take that long.

Just spotted the date of the original post, suppose you're old enough for the bus licence by now then! :P

Richie15 wrote: »
    That's the questions and case studies for the CPC tests, if you haven't got your Learner Permit yet these are no use to you.

Another thing you mentioned, OP, is your age. I'm 20 myself and I've my truck test next week. You are old enough for a truck licence, you've only to be 18 for that, but for the bus you'll have to be 21.

The main issue with age is not licensing, but in finding work. There's a loophole in the equality legislation that lets them get away with discrimination on the basis of age if it's for insurance reasons. (If you want more detail on this point, I can send you the link.) You'll be hard pressed to find anywhere, even work experience or voluntary work, who'll take you on before you're 25, because of the hassle of putting you on the insurance.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn't talk you out of getting the licence - sure I'm doing it myself! That way by the time you're 25 they'll have no excuse not to hire you, and hopefully it wont even take that long.

Just spotted the date of the original post, suppose you're old enough for the bus licence by now then! :P

Cheers for that.

I'm 22 now . ;)

Will I be better off getting the CD so at this stage?

Advertisement