Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

found linux

• 27-10-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

hi everyone.

for the last 2 weeks my desktop running on xp home edition kept crashing and after i tryed to reinstall windows the computer kept booting and once it was installed wounld`nt boot anymore.
    so after i googled and googled the net i came across of linux and i got it installed, pclinux 2007. looks really cool and similar to the xp.
    i would be happy leaving linux installed on the desktop if i could get the same type of software i was using on the xp.
    what i use the desktop for is most for downloads and creating dvds from divx avi, mpeg.
    if anyone knows of programs capable of doing this please reply.

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

welcome to linux.

tovid is a program for converting movie files, so that they play in a dvd player. I haven't used it myself but it looks quite good.

open synaptic and search for tovid.if its there -right click it and select "mark for installation".
    a box may popup saying other packages also need to be installed. click "mark".

a package called tovidgui should be below tovid,mark this for installation too.

Click the apply button, a box will pop up asking do you want to apply changes, -click on apply and wait for it to finish downloading and installing.

if tovid isn't in synaptic follow the directions in the link above. the commands are entered in Konsole.
    for any commands starting with su that don't work try replacing su with sudo and type your password when prompted.

if it doesn't work, post up what happened and any error messages.

Advertisement