Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get into NMCI

Options
  • 27-10-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello all Im currently on a fetac level 5 course and Im recieving BTEA but I would like to get into the national marine college (its a part of CIT)
    But theres a number of problems im facing that you might be able to help me with.

1 Im to young to be counted as a mature student
    2 I dont have a leaving cert
    3 Whats the story with fees?

The course is a bachelor of science and it says on the website leaving certificate is required with at least a c or higher in ordinary level maths.
    I left school in 2005 if that makes any difference.
    Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

do well on your level 5 course and you can use that in place of your leaving..
    talk to the college about access routes . most colleges run them now for young adults etc. this isn't a back door in type thing as you still have to go thru' the cao and interviews etc but it means that they'll take into account the fetac course you're doing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FizzyBubbly

If it is definitely something that you will pursue, would it be worth sitting exams, you could use your merits and distinction grades from your fetac course and be able to say at interview that you studied and passed leaving cert maths just to do it.

My ex studied that course and is now a marine engineer, he works on oil tankers and is abroad for a few months and then home a few more, he loves it! But i do remember that maths was a good deal of his course, so you need some maths experience.

You can apply to the department of education and science to sit certain subjects in the leaving cert 2009 as an external student.you pay a small fee, and study yourself, get a grind once a week or something...then go in june and sit the exam.and you dont have to go back to do the leaving fulltime.

I think its a fantastic thing i want to go back and do primary teaching but i have to re-sit irish and get a c or higher in the honours paper.im going to do it but dont think i would be ready for LC 2009.

Advertisement