Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting software

Options
  • 27-10-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi can anyone recommend accounting software that allows you to scan documents as you recieve them, file them and organise the information from them for accounting purposes. I want to have a digital copy of the documents that is easily referencable from the accounting software.

I have piles of reciepts/invoices etc for which currently I scan and save the file name as the total cost of that reciept/invoice in a folder representing what category of expense/income it is and at the end of the year provide all this to the accountant.

I usually tot up all the expenses and put them into an excel spreadsheet to let me know roughly where I am, and how much my expenses are, but I am always surprised at the end of year by my overall expenditure/income or both.

Is there a program that you can use to keep you up to date easily and as you scan in a document it can be filed into a folder and the program generates excel documents from this that could be used to simplify vat etc.

i have found several such irish programs online, but they seem pricey(350 euro or more) when compared to solutions for american sole traders.

I was wondering if anybody can recommend a particular product, as this is causing me worry whenever year end comes and also shows that I dont have a good enough rein on my expenses or understanding of the all important figures.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Hi PM1979
    Not sure what you do or the size of your business but that seems a bit like a sledgehammer to crack a nut kinda thing. I have told many clients over the years the best and easiest system is the simple system.

I advise most client to get Tas Books 2 and use the referencing system of VAT periods (i.e. January/February purchase invoices will each have a reference (in red/green pen so it stands out), JF01, JF02, JF03 and so on). Then just file everything sequentially on a Lever arch file making sure to label each lever arch clearly of it’s contents.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

I have seen a system that will scan invoices as you enter them for Sage 50 and Sage 200 but it wouldn't come in under your budget.

Advertisement