Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via Ferrata in Mallorca

Options
  • 27-10-2008 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Heyho,

Slim chance but just in case: does anyone know of any via ferrata on Mallorca? I'm heading out there in a few weeks for a spot of canyoning, and thought I'd bring the via ferrata gear if there was somewhere to use it...

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I think the Via Ferrata are exclusive to Italy, they were built for the Italian army during world war two so they could move through the mountainous regions very quickly.

Sorry trying to remember a magazine article from six plus years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Gillo wrote: »
    I think the Via Ferrata are exclusive to Italy, they were built for the Italian army during world war two so they could move through the mountainous regions very quickly.

Sorry trying to remember a magazine article from six plus years ago.

That's where they started alright, but they are by no means exclusive to Italy.

I don't believe that there are any in Mallorca however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ray123456

yes, there is some kind of "mini via ferrata" in mallorca... I just discovered this pictures and description (in german) on this via-ferrata-portal:

http://www.via-ferrata.de/img-puig-des-tossals-verde-255.htm

greetz, ray123456

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

testicle wrote: »
    That's where they started alright, but they are by no means exclusive to Italy.
    They have them in Austria and Switzerland, I'm fairly certain. They even have one in The Lake District in England at the Honister slate mines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ray123456

yes, and also in other parts of spain... e.g. in the area around barcelona ... even in norway exist some vie ferrate....

• Advertisement
Advertisement