Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Hauntings

Options
  • 27-10-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Any1 have anything exciting planned for Halloween, and it doesnt count drinking till your paraletic :D I mean something genuinely exciting as it is Halloween. Any haunted places around Limerick??

I heard a lot of stories growing up and not unusually Moyross is a hotbed for ghost activites. Supposably a section of Moyross was originally built over an old graveyard- St Brigids I tink it was called, my nana used to cycle out there years back...this is going back at least 50 years ago and the area was still part of the countryside.But anyway I have friends from there and a lot of real spooky things have happened in houses out there over the years.

A lot of the houses in 1 part of the estate were blessed by the local priest in the Corpus Christi Church as the strange happenings were more than frequent. My friend truthfully told me that in their house alone, a woman just walked down the stairs, straight passed the sitting room which was open with the family inside and vanished as she walked out the door, very freaky. The only people in the house were 2 very young children and some1 babysitting and as soon as they saw whatever it was, they wouldnt stop screaming for a good 20 mins.

A house also burned out a few years ago inside the estate and a young girl perished. People have seen sightings of a young girl in what looks like a white communion dress wandering around the street late into the night. Any one else have any scary tales from around Limerick city, its by no means a quiet place for the aul ghosts, has a lot of history. Feel free to share yer stories as a lot have some truth in them and they all seem extremely interesting. Thats just 1 or 2 of the stories I have heard...many more to tell as a lot of stories have been passed down and told over the years. Come on there must be someone with a story to tell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 irishman2008

got another story, heard of an estate situated on the border of Moyross as your heading to Meelick thats had a lot of strange activities during the years, some sort of mansion thats surrounded by woods.

Its at least 200 years old and there was a story in the Post a few years ago saying that construction workers doing some renovation ran out terrified after temperatures began plumiting in whatever room they worked, the usual things like doors opening and closing, and strange noises. Seems like an ideal place for anyone doing a bit of ghost hunting :D but this place has a lot of history and seems genuinely haunted:eek:

It seems the house is called Castlepark House and is up for sale, god help whoever decides to buy the place as it looks very ominous. Wouldnt look out of place in the Amityville Horror to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

...interesting. A few freaky things are supposed to have happened in te cratloe wood student village, i had heard stories about there being an old famine graveyard there but thought that was rubbish, kind of fits in with the moyross graveyard story as the two border each other.

hey rino87 you are absolutely correct, one of my friends lived out there years ago and wed play in the very field that the student village was built on, a massive plot of land which contained an old farmers house which was demolished..it was abandoned for a number of years and there are also stories about that place..getting back to the graveyard, a section of that land still remains on the Moyross side and headstones were sticking out at the back of the field..they were not dug out..you could just tell because the top of the stones would jut out from the soil.

I am convinced that people were buried in that field and its surroundings.Conveniently a lot of freaky and unexplainable things happen very often around there, in this field a laneway connects moyross to caherdavin and a lot of people have been absolutely terrified walking through that laneway at night as its overgrown and surrounded by trees, it was recently blocked though for some unknown reason..we would never walk up without being with some1..you wouldnt know what youd see as there was people saying they genuinely saw dark figures and a banshee supposably.

And it seemed like a horrible idea to build the student village on that land because it seems to have a lot of history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Any1 have anything exciting planned for Halloween, and it doesnt count drinking till your paraletic :D I mean something genuinely exciting as it is Halloween. Any haunted places around Limerick??, i heard a lot of stories growing up and not unusually Moyross is a hotbed for ghost activites. Supposably a section of Moyross was originally built over an old graveyard- St Brigids I tink it was called, my nana used to cycle out there years back...this is going back at least 50 years ago and the area was still part of the countryside.But anyway I have friends from there and a lot of real spooky things have happened in houses out there over the years. A lot of the houses in 1 part of the estate were blessed by the local priest in the Corpus Christi Church as the strange happenings were more than frequent. My friend truthfully told me that in their house alone, a woman just walked down the stairs, straight passed the sitting room which was open with the family inside and vanished as she walked out the door, very freaky. The only people in the house were 2 very young children and some1 babysitting and as soon as they saw whatever it was, they wouldnt stop screaming for a good 20 mins. A house also burned out a few years ago inside the estate and a young girl perished. People have seen sightings of a young girl in what looks like a white communion dress wandering around the street late into the night. Any one else have any scary tales from around Limerick city, its by no means a quiet place for the aul ghosts, has a lot of history. Feel free to share yer stories as a lot have some truth in them and they all seem extremely interesting. Thats just 1 or 2 of the stories I have heard...many more to tell as a lot of stories have been passed down and told over the years. Come on there must be someone with a story to tell

I heard this very scary story about a ghost who goes around stealing paragraphs.

I know ya..I heard that 1 aswell..but the story about the ghost who writes stupid 1 sentence posts is scarier though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I know ya..I heard that 1 aswell..but the story about the ghost who writes stupid 1 sentence posts is scarier though

:D Looks like he brought them back again.

On topic, Curraghchase out in Kilcornan is supposed to be very haunted. Lots of ghost stories from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I hear that cars disappear mysteriously from all over the city and are spookily found burned out in Moyross. Its a ghost hotbed I tell ya.

haha good one..ya dats true actually...very spooky, no but honestly does anyone have anything real happen them, besides ghosts stealin paragraphs and cars haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭j0605

Any1 have anything exciting planned for Halloween, and it doesnt count drinking till your paraletic :D I mean something genuinely exciting as it is Halloween. Any haunted places around Limerick??

I heard a lot of stories growing up and not unusually Moyross is a hotbed for ghost activites. Supposably a section of Moyross was originally built over an old graveyard- St Brigids I tink it was called, my nana used to cycle out there years back...this is going back at least 50 years ago and the area was still part of the countryside.But anyway I have friends from there and a lot of real spooky things have happened in houses out there over the years.

Yep that area is definitely a hive of activity. I lived behind the graveyard. Its locally called "The Paupers Graveyard" i think, it is were famine victims were buried.

When I was I child, and I can still remember clearly, I could see an army man pass my bedroom at night, on feel something sitting on my legs a night,

Recently I was in the house as my grandmother now lives there and I was minding my nephew who kept talking to and about "the Army man"

Nows thats strange, hey what part of Moyross did you live. The thing about the army man seems freaky, but there definetly was a graveyard, a lot of the times when my friend was younger he said he could clearly hear loud footsteps going up and down the stairs and this used to happen even during the day. Another person told me before that as they were washing dishes during the night, something was outside siting in the front garden staring in, and according to her it didnt look human, and this person isnt one for telling lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

RINO87 wrote: »
    ...interesting. A few freaky things are supposed to have happened in te cratloe wood student village, i had heard stories about there being an old famine graveyard there but thought that was rubbish, kind of fits in with the moyross graveyard story as the two border each other.

I will back this up 1 uo as i was living in Cratloe Student village for 2 years...weird stuff used to happen when i was in 2nd year like taps turning on and off,bags gettin blown around the room while all d windows and doors were closed and there was loads more but basically there was just a general weird feeling inside that house...its kinda hard 2 explain!!:eek:

Yeah my friend lives there too and was babysitting one night for a neighbor and rang me crying because it sounded like someone was walking up and down the stairs and around the upstairs landing and the kids she was minding were asleep on the couch beside her,
    She's kind of a tuff one, doesn't scare very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

So, who is brave enough to go to Moyross at Halloween night?

I've walked tru myross many a night on my own, there are worse thing up there to be afraid of.... (joking)

Advertisement