Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

black smoke!!

Options
  • 27-10-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all i have a question about an 89 pajero!!

My problem is that upon revving after gear change she kicks out black smoke..now i have no idea what causes this or why its happening so i wonder is there anyone who would have any ideas?

aside from this problem she is perfect and in everyday use!

Thanks to anyone for any help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Injectors may need servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Injectors may need servicing.

and pump, probably. Also, could be turbo issues. Start by checking the oil level and checking the hosing for tears/ holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

thats great thanks for the suggestions!

if its the turbo am i right in saying it could end up being pretty expensive?

NDM wrote: »
    thats great thanks for the suggestions!

if its the turbo am i right in saying it could end up being pretty expensive?

Probably. How long have you owned it? How many miles? How long would you continue to hang onto it if it wasn't ailing??

when was the air filter changed last?
    I`d try this first as its the cheapest thing to do

• Advertisement

ive had it for 4 years now..really great machine..in the last six months ive had to change water pump and alt so not to bad considering its age..theres 150k miles on her and still goin strong..to be honest id like to hang onto it as long as i could but if it was really costly to sort the smoke it might not be worth it..i service it regularly and hoping ii can get this sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

your problem is very common on those old pajeros they sell a kit to fix it on ebay and all it is ,is a ball bearing .if you rmove the vacum tube goin to your egr valve and block it with a small ball baering and plug it back on again there will be no more smoke

NDM wrote: »
    ive had it for 4 years now..really great machine..in the last six months ive had to change water pump and alt so not to bad considering its age..theres 150k miles on her and still goin strong..to be honest id like to hang onto it as long as i could but if it was really costly to sort the smoke it might not be worth it..i service it regularly and hoping ii can get this sorted

I can't tell how many people come on here looking to sell/ scrap their car because they don't want to change the tyres:rolleyes: Since you don't fall into that category, the cost for a turbo change won't be so prohibitive but you'll probably be doing yourself a dis-service by trying to find a cheap 2nd hand one, if that's what's wrong.

ford jedi wrote: »
    your problem is very common on those old pajeros they sell a kit to fix it on ebay and all it is ,is a ball bearing .if you rmove the vacum tube goin to your egr valve and block it with a small ball baering and plug it back on again there will be no more smoke

that really will work? i know she is old but be kinda nice to hang onto her!

Advertisement